Intentional Suck Syndrome

P

Petycash

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether they are cash or freeroll tournaments, I often find that the later in online tournaments I play, the more likely I am to make a terrible snap decision. It's not when I'm on tilt or mad, but semi-burned out and just too anxious to be patient.

Any tips to help combat this? Anyone else experience this?

D

donkcentralFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
having similar problem in freerolls on bol... Either playing way too tight with a small stack or getting way too aggressive with a big stack

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I have it after folding many hands (similar like J3). Than I turn off my thinking for a split second and make very bad all-in on short stack... especially on freerolls

Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lmao, love the title. It's happened to me many times. Play a good, smart.game for hours, then boom make a hasty, I'll-timed, stupid play. It hurts to go out like that. But I find a if I can get in my sweet spot of 3-4 tourneys, I make less crazy plays, I think that the less time to "over-think" it helps me. Have a good one...Tal

Jean le Grand

Jean le Grand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday i could not resist to play a good starting hand, despite it was a few hands for the bubble. You can imagine what happened....

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're going deep, always make the most of the 5 min breaks every hour. Go for a short walk, do jumping jacks...just get away from your computer.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going deep, always make the most of the 5 min breaks every hour. Go for a short walk, do jumping jacks...just get away from your computer.

couldnt have said it better:):D

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making sure you are getting proper rest and nutrition are very important, too. Your brain is an amazing thing, but it needs rest and nourishment -- especially with the amount of stress you put on it in a successful online career.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never heard that diagnosis before. I would have to agree with what both Sidetracked and TheImperator said. I'm usually really good about using the breaks to grab a drink, stuff a snack in my mouth and use the bathroom. I'll step out of the front door for a breath of fresh air. Even it's 3 in the morning, I'll grab a gun and walk down to the end of the driveway and look out across the fields or take a lap around the house.

I've had those lapses in the past myself, just a brief lapse where I make a call that I wouldn't normally make. Maybe I think someone is making a move, thinking I'm light or trying to bluff me. It's actually more like a flash of anger or irritation than a real thought. And before I know it, I've already acted. I might tell myself afterward that their play didn't make sense or looked suspicious. But really, if I had stopped and thought for a couple of seconds, I would have decided that, even if I didn't believe them, I could find a better spot to put them to the test. But instead, I just flushed away a huge chunk of my chip stack right in front of the bubble. And what I realize now, after reading this thread and giving it some thought, that it often seems to happen just before a break.

Last edited: