Instincts Vs Math

Mr Alvim

Mr Alvim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mathematics of poker is quite simple to understand, calculate the percentage of POT odds also not difficult and I think with these calculations to take the good conclusions about their actions at the table. Obviously aposstas 80 % so your stack with a flush draw with only 18 % chance of winning the hand is a little bad , but if your read on the player is good Vaida think the move to take him instead of hand. If the 18% turned 100 % on the river with luck, not by calculations

Jancianna

Jancianna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am too dumb for math so generally I rely on my instincts and luck.

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take the mathematical approach but sometimes if I have a good read on a player....or if the table is running tight I will take some chances for the implied odds!

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Neither.

I just consult my magic 8 ball, and go with it.

J

JohnBoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I use math to make a decision, but sometimes just after the cards are dealt a message hits me which clearly tells me what to do, if so mostly call or raise.
And I'll do so because in like 70% of the cases I hit pretty much the nuts (depending on the power of the feeling in preflop) and if not I call acceptable bets and then get a decent hand. Dang, that feeling is great to hit sth. with medicore cards :rolleyes:

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tend to play by instinct -but i do understand or at least have a working knowlegde of the math needed to try to make the best decision possible at any given moment while playing-i learned early in life to trust my instincts it hasnt let me down yet

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know a little about poker math, only the basics like calculate pot odds. But, I have to say that many times I play a hand with the pot odds against me even know that's wrong :)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the math to verify my instinct. If they conflict I usually go with the math, but not always.

E

ELDONKOII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will say it quite simply the days of math and formulae are gone the new breed is in and play loads of frerolls to relearn your game cos they dont have a clue about the etiquette of poker q8 suit UTG is a massive hand lol :)

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the poker was a game of instinct, without a rational and mathematical component, it could not be studied. Everyone would have a level that would perfect just playing.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the Poker is a mathematical game and completely rational. You can study and learn step by step everything necessary to win.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Use both, math is great but i would put instinct or gut shot some times over math, coz u know the odds of u hitting the card u need to make the nuts, even dou they are slim sometimes u pay and u hit it, and u score BIIIIIIIIG, so depends on the situation, on players at the table, on your stack, on everything, the more hand and situations u see the more your gut instinct is better, but also the math is great to keep u leveled not wasting chips.

G

Gump877

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the math part is something you can learn and instinct comes with experience. math players with no instinct will get exploited by good instinct players and instinct players will get exploited by players with good math and instinct.

C

Chandla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mathematics of poker is quite simple to understand, calculate the percentage of POT ODDS also not difficult and I think with these calculations to take the good conclusions about their actions at the table. Obviously aposstas 80 % so your stack with a flush draw with only 18 % chance of winning the hand is a little bad , but if your read on the player is good Vaida think the move to take him instead of hand. If the 18% turned 100 % on the river with luck, not by calculations

When i say "math" i don't just mean pot odds. i am talking about calculating combos turned into EV as well.

Example..

Hero: QTh
Villain: AK, AT, 66, 78

Board: 5d6dTsJh

what is hers equity assuming all in? this is the math i am talking about

against AK the hero's equity is around 82 percent with 16 combos
against AT the hero's equity is around 6 percent with 8 combos
against 66 the hero's equity is 0 percent with 3 combos
against 78 the hero's equity is around 84 percent with 16 combos

32 combos have around 83 percent
11 combost have 6 percent
83 percent is 3 times more likely than 6 percent
so 3/4 of 6-83 would be lower 60's for total percentage of equity the hero has against the range i have put on the villain.. these are the math problems i am mainly focused on.. every player should at least use pot odds

akyurukov

akyurukov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instincts are usefull sometimes and they are human based,but why programs and computers are best poker players?When you create algorithm in a program that plays poker and add situations mathematically based the program will win always in a long term.Pure Mathematics wins every time... i think
Well its always good to make huge call based on your instincts and be right isnt it ? :D

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I humbly believe that both the instinct and the math to play is good, but it depends on situations when applying each one, maybe mathematically we can lose our hand according to the cards on the table those that can come out and those that have the Opponent but sometimes instinct leads us to know if the player is lying or not, I think that instinct is a very discrete factor over mathematics because at the end of the day we are giving way to believe in our decision is whatever it was We took it to believe that it was correct, but knowing of both helps a lot