Incorrectly bluff catching way too often

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing poker I was a super nit (as most of as are at first) and then as you play more and evolve more, clear cut folds, calls, raises, and bluffs no longer exist and the blinds become significantly more blurred.

Been playing a lot of heads up cash lately and my tendency to call down in polarizing spots is killing my bottom line. It's also seeping into my MTT game (my specialty) which is even worse for my overall game.

If anyone else has a negative tendency to call too often, where do you draw the line? If you're going to be right some of the time, how do you decide where to cut your losses?

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no idea how to answer your question....
But I know this.
Let's play cash.
Now works for me :) or later. Or whenever.
PM me, reply here. I can only play US sites but I'll play anytime.
I've got the day off :) and tomorrow.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started playing poker I was a super nit (as most of as are at first) and then as you play more and evolve more, clear cut folds, calls, raises, and bluffs no longer exist and the blinds become significantly more blurred.

Been playing a lot of heads up cash lately and my tendency to call down in polarizing spots is killing my bottom line. It's also seeping into my MTT game (my specialty) which is even worse for my overall game.

If anyone else has a negative tendency to call too often, where do you draw the line? If you're going to be right some of the time, how do you decide where to cut your losses?

You need to be asking yourself why your thinking of calling, what's leading you to think it's a bluff, is it a +ev situation. If you can't logically reason for the bluff then it's a fold but if you can put some logic into it based on villains actions etc then there is an argument for the call. Don't be drawn into the mindset that it's a 50/50 people don't tend to bluff 50% of the time, think about what they are trying to represent and whether the actions on previous streets matches what they are trying to represent if there is a hole in the story call, if its plausible fold.

B

blackchip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tighten Up

Be playing premium hands where you don't need to be put in the spot of bluff catching. Some of my best tournament wins came when I only played AA KK AK, and in later stages loosen up and steal some blinds. But you can waste a lot of money questioning every hand.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It all depends on the opponent, the dynamics of the game at the table, the presence of blockers on the opponent's combination. What is more important when deciding is difficult for me to answer. Where to draw the line? This is the right question. The more often you ask yourself this question, the more you will achieve success in poker.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea how to answer your question....
But I know this.
Let's play cash.
Now works for me :) or later. Or whenever.
PM me, reply here. I can only play US sites but I'll play anytime.
I've got the day off :) and tomorrow.

Are you on ACR?

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
"People don't bluff as much as you think they do.

Pros make money, by playing the big pots having the best hand, not by making super advanced stuff and bluffs".

-Daniel Negreanu-

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"People don't bluff as much as you think they do.

Pros make money, by playing the big pots having the best hand, not by making super advanced stuff and bluffs".

-Daniel Negreanu-
So true. "Bluff-catching" is a fool's errand most of the time.

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the opponent, the dynamics of the game at the table, the presence of blockers on the opponent's combination. What is more important when deciding is difficult for me to answer. Where to draw the line? This is the right question. The more often you ask yourself this question, the more you will achieve success in poker.

All that is totally relevant, but to me it sounds like he might just not hearing what the betting action is saying and probably getting too attached to "A" high in heads-up hands that you probably should've folded on the turn to a second barrel.
Also, the stakes that you play HU have tons to say about the caliber of opponent you typically face, so that would be useful information to try to analyze your light calling over-tendencies.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

ABSOLUTELY STOP PLAYING HEADS UP! Sorry for yelling, but if your specialty is MTTs and heads up is harming your specialty then you NEED to stop playing heads up even if it's funner. Do not let your good game playing be harmed b y a style you're not used to. And if you can't segregate your playing styles properly you will end up killing your game completely.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if I come tightly・・・

"It's a bluff." and, even if You come tightly, please don't play sweepingly.

Capture of the position, after it's considered, please do.

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to balance all over so people don't exploit you

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're bluff-catching too often, I would choose to fold more often in two ways:

1. If you have a hand near the bottom of your range, don't worry about folding. You won't get exploited, i.e., opponents can't bluff you knowing you're folding too much.

2. If there aren't busted draws, there's a lot less to bluff with. So be more selective hero-calling on drier boards.

With that said, it's good to be stubborn heads-up and not give opponents too much credit, so it sounds like you're doing a lot right.