Improving Memory for Poker!

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience....a key aspect required to improve out game when it comes to poker because it allows us to see hands and situations and other players winning strategies etc that we can all put to use in future situation.

So it's obvious memory is a key factor in remembering all of these situations so that we can recall them in the future, or for that matter the most basic being able to easily recall the actions that took place and for what bet amounts on which streets in a current or previous hand you played when now facing a decision on a later street.......or for later analysis etc.

So the topic I'm looking to discuss is if anyone does any study or practice on improving memory for general purposes and/or it's relativeness to wanting to improve as a poker player?

There are many techniques out there and I'm just getting to doing some research on the topic, but have come accross many books on amazon in regards to improving your memory, increasing how fast you can do math in your head, etc.

So curious if anyone has any input on the subject, any methods they have heard of or have tried and if they worked or didn't work or are not really applicable to assisting with improving our poker learning process etc.

Cheers

*****Something I was looking at today that brought this topic to mind****

The memory palace is something that comes up as being very good for learning lists, even very long ones and the exact order they are in and being able to rhyme them off forward and backwards....but does this really have any potential application to helping with the learning and ehancement of skills when it comes to poker.....I mean it's a much more complicated process than a list.

But perhaps it could assist in developing an optimal process of steps that we go through when playing a hand, kind of like a checkpoint list of things we should think about depending on the street of play, the action and the number of players, a decision tree as such and things that we should focus on based on an action or player type etc. I wonder would such a memory excercise work well in such a deep level'd situation.

It would be kind of like doing the work to put your thought process on paper so that it's organized to then remember it in a more organized fashion of a process that is clearer to work through as you play the game.

:D, enough of my rambling whats on everyone elses mind re this subject of improving memory for poker.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good memory tool

I find a very good memory tool to be a pen and paper. I say this tongue in cheek, but I am serious. Why try to memorize on the fly? Write down notes on players, playing styles, good strategies that you observe, etc. Review periodically what you have written and eventually it will be committed to memory.

A little simplistic perhaps, but effective.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im trying meditation, it makes me develop tranquility which is a great aid for poker but it also acts as a mindfulness booster, improving attention and memory. The book im reading to learn the practice is Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm, excellent book.

I hope this helps, and not just for poker but for daily life.

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use memory palaces for all sorts of things in poker. I've memorised all the odds vs amount of players etc.. I have 8 strategies for playing FLH stuck in my head.... the main problem you'll come up against will be how to remember suited and unsuited hands. Another problem will be when you're developing a strategy, as... if something doesn't work .. you'll have to memorise it... then unlearn it... then relearn the new version etc... I suppose it depends on how serious you are about poker... I guess... I'm TOO serious about it... lol

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when in a game you should be mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared. How? You must have a good rest, sleep maybe, before hand and not drowsing in-game. No empty stomach, not sick, no serious arguments with wife/husband/gf/bf etc or your boss before the game, not desperate and other factors that will affect your gameplay negatively.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when in a game you should be mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared. How? You must have a good rest, sleep maybe, before hand and not drowsing in-game. No empty stomach, not sick, no serious arguments with wife/husband/gf/bf etc or your boss before the game, not desperate and other factors that will affect your gameplay negatively.

I would have to get divorced, quit work and sleep for at least a week straight to meet these criteria lol.....but yes you have to be in good mental and physical (feeling good) shape to play your best poker and to be able to access your memory banks but not exactly the intention of the thread.

Thanks to all others for their comments as well, and good point flower in regards to developing the story to learn and remember it would obviously take some practice and experience using the method to change things in the story that by themselves might be small and irrevalent but in the big picture of the list/process you want to remember could make a big impact on it overall.

I have a book excerpt, just a sample of the memory palace technique i plan to read just to see how it goes about things. I am sure there are other techniques.........I think i might just have to start with not having so many things going on and thus going through my head at the one time.

I wish I had an identic memory, it would take care of remembering all the situations i have come accross on the feltz for later retrieval :D

vvanns

vvanns

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm learning a language to train my memory, also helps.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a terrible memory. I expect this to be a handicap as I try to become a better player.

I have noticed though that I remember more as I learn more. The more I understand what I'm doing and what my opponents are doing, I am more likely to remember those hands. As there is more understanding to hang a memory on.

So I'm hoping my poker memory will improve as I become a better player.

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have to get divorced, quit work and sleep for at least a week straight to meet these criteria lol.....but yes you have to be in good mental and physical (feeling good) shape to play your best poker and to be able to access your memory banks but not exactly the intention of the thread.

Thanks to all others for their comments as well, and good point flower in regards to developing the story to learn and remember it would obviously take some practice and experience using the method to change things in the story that by themselves might be small and irrevalent but in the big picture of the list/process you want to remember could make a big impact on it overall.

I have a book excerpt, just a sample of the memory palace technique i plan to read just to see how it goes about things. I am sure there are other techniques.........I think i might just have to start with not having so many things going on and thus going through my head at the one time.

I wish I had an identic memory, it would take care of remembering all the situations i have come accross on the feltz for later retrieval :D

I have rooms for each position at the table... and then areas within the room as to whether to call raise 3bet call 3 bet call 4 bet ...etc... so it's not about remembering a large story ... just lots and lots of little ones.... although... in my case it's images rather than stories... look into the PAO memory system .... but that's where you may come unstuck as ... when I first started I was mixing up suited and unsuited characters representing cards... I've solved that issue now... but it took a long time and lots of hard work

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
"checkpoint list of things we should think about depending on the street of play, the action and the number of players, a decision tree as such and things that we should focus on based on an action or player type etc"

Interesting topic Dave.

Perhaps we could come up with a list of vital "check point things" - then work on a method to retain them in an orderly fashion, allotting them a room in the palace for when we retrieve them.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Bullwink, The secret to being a genius is to write it down on pen and paper. One thing that I have been working on is that has helped me out with my poker memory, is eliminating all the the distractions and focusing. I used to be the worst about messaging, texting, surfing, watching videos, etc. and started to give my full attention to what I am supposed to be focusing on. Playing poker.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My memory palace is filled with ruined castles, dragons, white-walkers and stories of bad beat (err bad play). I think am on the edge, and don't need a push. :wink: :D

On a serious note, meditation, exercise and discipline for a healthy mind and body. :icon_thum

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a bad memory. I even throwing cards, put them on a mouse, to see them in the distribution of the cards. And how to improve it do not know.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tons of chess to keep my mind sharp. Chess also helps in the memory department lol i have this App on my phone which allows me to play correspondence chess so I actively have around 80 games currently. Each game is timed from 3 days per move to 7 days per move. So I have to try my best to remember every strategy from every game. I do this daily. When I am not playing on my phone, I play bullet chess. The fastest version of chess. This helps my mind to make accurate decisions incredibly fast. Want a match?

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a good memory would be more useful for live games...for online play, I think its more instinct's and being able to interpret stats as accurately and as fast as possible..

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i take notes live and online on players how they play what ranges they play how often or easily i can trick them etc..

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play tons of chess to keep my mind sharp. Chess also helps in the memory department lol i have this app on my phone which allows me to play correspondence chess so I actively have around 80 games currently. Each game is timed from 3 days per move to 7 days per move. So I have to try my best to remember every strategy from every game. I do this daily. When I am not playing on my phone, I play bullet chess. The fastest version of chess. This helps my mind to make accurate decisions incredibly fast. Want a match?

I do this too! Daily as well. Before anything else in the morning, I wake up and play a quick bullet game to refresh my memory and motor side of the brain :D

I'd absolutely take you on a match. Let me know where. I play at ChessCube (haven't played there in a while), and lichess.org