Improving my game: what's next?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello people! I've been learning this game for 2 months. I think I have advanced a lot, but the information available is so much that sometimes I feel lost. I've studied the preflop game a lot, and logic tells me that I should now focus on the flop (then on the turn, and then the river). I have also focused a lot on the mental part, and I have a good understanding of the mathematical part. But one day I want to become a professional, and obviously I have a long way to go. Any advice? I really like reading so I'm very interested in book suggestions.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books in my opinion lose their relevance very quickly, except for books that give an idea of the basics of the game. When I started to play, I also read a lot (Branson, Harrington, etc.), this had little effect on the level of the game.:icon_pale Analysis of my game and watching videos of players of my limit and a little higher is my key to a successful game.;) What are you playing and what is the limit?

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books, of course, are a useful source of knowledge, but practice is, in my opinion, always more important. Personally, I prefer videos on YouTube channel.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Books will always be useful. I recommend the following list:
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow but it bothers you I will also read the tips, to continue growing. poker is awesome

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that you are a little in a hurry in the amount of information. With a lot of reading you just have cereal in your head. You always need to fix a new intro into the game and move on to the next. Well this is just my opinion.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not a prodigy only time can make you better in this game so study and practice is what is within your reach right now.
but remember to have other plan. good luck:)

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
study hand combos and how it affects your decisions at the table

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello people! I've been learning this game for 2 months. I think I have advanced a lot, but the information available is so much that sometimes I feel lost. I've studied the preflop game a lot, and logic tells me that I should now focus on the flop (then on the turn, and then the river). I have also focused a lot on the mental part, and I have a good understanding of the mathematical part. But one day I want to become a professional, and obviously I have a long way to go. Any advice? I really like reading so I'm very interested in book suggestions.

learning this game for 2 months is like saying you have been learning how to drive a car for 2 months. then you are in a big city at the traffic light and you figure out that you know nothing about how to drive a car :D

the best way to improve is to play a lot. then review your critical hands, learn from your mistakes, try to avoid them and keep on playing, reviewing, improving,.....

once you got the basics in poker, books are becoming kinda useless because they are all outdated. I haven't seen a decent book in the last few years that was up to date in poker!
so your best adress is youtube for some videos are articles from known poker coaching sites. this should help a lot.

But one day I want to become a professional, and obviously I have a long way to go.
as long as you got that, it should be doable if you stay focused. good luck :)
if you really want to become a pro, you might consider paying for a coaching course.
I have read a lot of good things from https://www.raiseyouredge.com/
the tournament masterclass costs a lot (740$), but I think your game will improve a lot from it and it is only a matter of time until the costs are amortised.
but I would not buy it after only playing poker for 2 months though

J

japg11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you have already chosen the game mode you are going to focus on, what I would do is find a study partner, you can be part of many stremears discord channels and there start to discuss hands with more experienced players.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books in my opinion lose their relevance very quickly, except for books that give an idea of the basics of the game. When I started to play, I also read a lot (Branson, Harrington, etc.), this had little effect on the level of the game.:icon_pale Analysis of my game and watching videos of players of my limit and a little higher is my key to a successful game.;) What are you playing and what is the limit?

The harrington book served me. Above all to have a clearer picture of the initial hand selection. I play microlimits, where it seems to me that the rules of poker are a bit different and one has to sort all the time all-in preflop with any hand

Books will always be useful. I recommend the following list:
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

Jared Tendler's has already read it. Now I got those from Ed Miller, thanks for the suggestion!

It seems to me that you are a little in a hurry in the amount of information. With a lot of reading you just have cereal in your head. You always need to fix a new intro into the game and move on to the next. Well this is just my opinion.

Yes, you may be right. But I really love the game and I want to learn as much as possible about the game.

If you are not a prodigy only time can make you better in this game so study and practice is what is within your reach right now.
but remember to have other plan. good luck:)

But I am a prodigy;).

Just kidding, I know it will take me a long time but I think that time may be less if I study the right things
study hand combos and how it affects your decisions at the table

Thanks for the suggestion, noted

learning this game for 2 months is like saying you have been learning how to drive a car for 2 months. then you are in a big city at the traffic light and you figure out that you know nothing about how to drive a car :D

the best way to improve is to play a lot. then review your critical hands, learn from your mistakes, try to avoid them and keep on playing, reviewing, improving,.....

once you got the basics in poker, books are becoming kinda useless because they are all outdated. I haven't seen a decent book in the last few years that was up to date in poker!
so your best adress is youtube for some videos are articles from known poker coaching sites. this should help a lot.

as long as you got that, it should be doable if you stay focused. good luck :)
if you really want to become a pro, you might consider paying for a coaching course.
I have read a lot of good things from https://www.raiseyouredge.com/
the tournament masterclass costs a lot (740$), but I think your game will improve a lot from it and it is only a matter of time until the costs are amortised.
but I would not buy it after only playing poker for 2 months though

Thanks for your answer. At some point I will surely get a coach but as you say it is still very soon.

I guess you have already chosen the game mode you are going to focus on, what I would do is find a study partner, you can be part of many stremears discord channels and there start to discuss hands with more experienced players.

Thanks for your answer. Just to learn is that I am in this community. Do you have any suggestions of any channel?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I loved Harrington's books and also liked "Kill Eveyone". I think good books can give you a solid grounding. I disagree that everything is out of date in books. They can give you a bunch of tools to use and you can decide how to use those tools. I've also learnt a bit about ranges and hand equity from playing with programs like Flopzilla. GL! :)

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can spend a lifetime learning this game. It can Take Years of Practice. Try playing other games like 7 stud or Omaha or razz or triple draw for a bit. Then ho back to Holdem. It will help you realize how good no limit Texas Holdem is. Practice makes perfect. Good Luck At The Tables.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know,maybe I'm not watching those videos but in YouTube I only see people with Leib the pokerstars, or playing below average, or leap from his chair and shouting "now I will drop the coin", and insanely happy ,when you win with a 50/50 chance! I lose with chances 70/30 in my favor-so I do not see any benefit in such views,but Harrington really writes and interesting and understandable!

Top 10 Games