• Thread starter Running Nose II
  • Start date
R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a method of calculating odds in a poker pot called Implied Odds. After you calculate the odds at your turn to play, you factor in how many of the players still to play will actually bet, then recalculate the odds with these players theoretical money in the pot. Some players swear by this way of playing, others have nothing to do with it. I am with the later school of thought, because poker is a game of facts, and Implied Odds raises an uncertainty, which raises the odds falsely, letting you think you are getting a good deal for the hand. If you are curious give it a shot and see how it works for you.

B

BrianM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes its a strategy I've heard a lot about but never tried personally. I remember in the dark days of blackjack I would attempt a lot of these statistical "edges", but I reckon with poker it might actually do some good when employed properly!

W

WisdomMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say just people who dont fully grasp Implied odds would not play the best in those spots. There is not set number to go off of each spot is different.

Implied odds.
1.If you expect to win a lot more money from your opponent after you make your draw, you have good implied odds.
2.If you anticipate that you will not be able to get any more money out of your opponent on future rounds, then you have little or no implied odds.

example : keeping the above in mind say you have Ah10D flop comes kh10h2h then when it comes a 4th heart on the turn its pritty unlikely that you stack someone without a heart in there hand that have say kj(example of #2)

example : keeping the above in mind. say you have 78 flop comes 65A and you think your opponent has ace x in his hand then if you hit a strait on turn or river you are more likely to get called vs ak aq or even two pair vs a 65Aj9 run out (Example of #1)

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of people use the concept of implied odds vaguely as a way of convincing themselves it is ok to call a raise when they are chasing a flush or straight and they end up paying too much to see the next card.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars verdict, watch less hands, play less hands forget odds when your hot. You can't lose with any hand. Also is it not the job of the ace to raise it enough to stop the chase or price it out the range ?

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They pay to see hidden cards but they have money if I do not have and I have a card will fold why are my last

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of people use the concept of implied odds vaguely as a way of convincing themselves it is ok to call a raise when they are chasing a flush or straight and they end up paying too much to see the next card.
Oh, finally someone here has the same opinion.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Cheeeer! Glad you agree :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, that's exactly what implied odds, assuming said player is calling with the intent of extracting value from a made hand.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Implied odds are great if you are able to extract value from a made hand. This really depends on your hand, the board, effective stack sizes, and your opponent.

If you have a slim chance of extracting value, then you have poor implied odds. For example: KsJds on a Qd10s5s gives you bad implied odds as another spade, A or 9 on the turn could kill your action and prevent you from getting paid off.

If you have a hand like 4s5s on a 3h6dAs flop, then you have good implied odds if you hit 2 or 7 on the turn.

To go even further, lets say in the 4s5s example, the pot is $15 on the flop and your opponent bet $10. So, you need to call $10 to win $25, getting 2.5:1 to call. Your odds of making a straight on the turn with 8 outs is 4.88:1.

4.88 - 2.50 = 2.38. $10 x 2.38 = $23.80

You would need to extract $23.80+ from your opponent to make you implied odds call a profitable one.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You would need to extract $23.80+ from your opponent to make you implied odds call a profitable one.
How will it help you to catch right card? Oh wait, I don't do it anymore.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just see a lot of people in tourneys calling half size or more pot bets after the flop chasing pretty obvious draws that they are not necessarily going to get paid on if they hit, and they are only paying to see one card. If I have a made hand I'm charging after the flop and again on the turn if the card is a blank and again after the river.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How will it help you to catch right card? Oh wait, I don't do it anymore.
Sounds like you're down in the dumps. Downswings?

Anyway, calling with implied odds doesn't mean you'll hit your out more/less often than calling with the proper odds do. If you have 8 outs (OESD) on the flop, the odds of you hitting on the turn is still ~17%. Whether you're getting good odds/bad odds/implied odds, it's still ~17%. Your chances of hitting an out doesn't increase/decrease with your pot odds.

If you were getting proper odds, say the opponent bet $2 into a pot of $15 when you have an OESD, you're getting 8.5:1 to call with 4.88:1 odds to hit. That's a really profitable call and one you should make 100% of the time. However, you still only have a 17% of hitting on the turn.

With implied odds, you wont be getting the proper odds to call but if you can extract the amount needed later in the hand, turn and/or river, then calling without proper odds could be profitable, but only if you can extract value from your opponent if you do hit. Again, the odds of hitting on the turn with an OESD is still 17%

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Implied odds are a great way to determine if playing that hand in that board and that determined spot is profitable or not. But in order to do this, you need some information of the opponent you are playing against, like his usual playing range, his actions with which hands in which position, and some tells. Using all this stuff will be quite easy to calculate implied odds, but the hard thing is to categorize your opponent in each of these topics, and accomdingly to his size bet, determine what are his intentions doing what he is doing. So its very hard

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I understand it, implied odds is guessing how many of the remaining players will come into the pot, when it is your turn to bet. You add their bets to the pot then recalculate the pot odds.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator