Identifying and resolving Leaks

Rutsy

Rutsy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all. Noob here so please be kind!

I am reading Jared Tender 'Mental Game of Poker' book. It's great for mental toughness in all walks of life, not only poker.

Anyway, he talks alot about improving your ''worst game' or your 'C game'

Obviously this can be done by identifying leaks and making conscious improvements.

May I ask CC community any tips or ways you identify your leaks? And of possible examples of how you worked on fixing them?

Thanks
Rutsy

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get bored often and decide to play for the miracle flop. I guess it's best to recognize when that might happen and stay away from the tables, or discipline myself to get back to my tight aggressive game, no matter how boring. Good luck.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Rusty-

I am going to answer knowing what I say will appear vague.

In terms of identifying leaks - wean yourself off any notion that you are blessed with ability! We all do so because we all believe we possess a certain intelligence/interest but then frequently revert to default positions/habits. We play to our character.

Every time I strip away my ego to honestly listen, analyze and absorb, I can learn. When I get stuck in a groove of 'I know better' and decide I can work things out for myself, I lag in my learning so I am definitely not plugging my leaks

As a newbie, make a checklist of all aspects of the game you come across and notes on your play. You should then turn to teaching materials, one aspect at a time, to see how your play stand up in comparison, to see where you can improve.

With poker you are on a continuous learning curve. That is what makes it so wonderfully absorbing. Good luck on the felt

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
discipline is an important aspect of the game and your behavior at the table
Maintaining discipline is, above all, respecting your time for your bankroll and the very essence of coming to poker.
if there is no discipline then you are in the children's sandbox[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 advice I give you is to write down your mistakes on paper IN HANDWRITING (so you better remember).
Keep this paper in front of you, and, if you make the same mistake that is in the paper again - punch yourself in the face. Works extremely well :)

Rutsy

Rutsy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1 advice I give you is to write down your mistakes on paper IN HANDWRITING (so you better remember).
Keep this paper in front of you, and, if you make the same mistake that is in the paper again - punch yourself in the face. Works extremely well :)
Thank you mate, I like that alot

Chioquetta25

Chioquetta25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Excelent

Great place we have to train hard to be positive in regular poker.

Rutsy

Rutsy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rusty-

I am going to answer knowing what I say will appear vague.

In terms of identifying leaks - wean yourself off any notion that you are blessed with ability! We all do so because we all believe we possess a certain intelligence/interest but then frequently revert to default positions/habits. We play to our character.

Every time I strip away my ego to honestly listen, analyze and absorb, I can learn. When I get stuck in a groove of 'I know better' and decide I can work things out for myself, I lag in my learning so I am definitely not plugging my leaks

As a newbie, make a checklist of all aspects of the game you come across and notes on your play. You should then turn to teaching materials, one aspect at a time, to see how your play stand up in comparison, to see where you can improve.

With poker you are on a continuous learning curve. That is what makes it so wonderfully absorbing. Good luck on the felt
Thanks mate, that's a fair message, as a pretty good sportsman I do struggle with that devine right to be good at Poker. Certainly will strip that back away! Cheers

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can use a hud like holdem manager or poker tracker on sites that allow them and use their leak busters. Or if you play on partypoker they have an inbuilt leak buster called MyGame these tools analyize your game and tell you your leaks and enable you to fix them.