ICM discussion

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does ICM affect your play, Does calculating it makes your gameplay better?

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are speaking of the Independent Chip Model, I think it can be useful, as a general guide, allowing one maybe to play more aggressively (wider range of starting hands) when having a greater chip stack than others in the hand, especially when in good "poker position".

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The regular tournaments have more ICM in the final tables, obv big tournaments this change... for myself (only playing micro/low mtts) the most part of the field don't know or don't care so much with ICM so, sometimes you need balance your game with the mentality of this players

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is most importent in stattelites where top price is the same for more players.
and on bubble play

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ICM is short for "Independant Chip Model" and basically refer to the fact, that the goal in tournaments is to outlast other players. Only when its down to the final two player (or a winner takes all format) is winning all the chips directly rewarded. Until then a big stack is a mean to avoid getting busted, but it does not have any value in itself. This lead to risk aversion in the sense, that we dont want to put a substantial portion of our stack in without either a very strong hand or fold equity. The free CC course "become a winning player in 30 days" have two sessions, where ICM is explained. This is a good place to start the journey, if the concept is new to you :)

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The icm is only used at final tables, and it's very important. Because you shouldn't fall first than the players with less chips than you, and that's where the icm comes in because it's much more important for you to win the payjump than to double your chips. In semi ft and ft it is more important that you don't lose chips, however, when you are the shortest at the table there is no icm.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ICM is something we need to be award of to help us make more profitable decisions. The problem is we really don't need to worry about it until we make the money, and it is not as important until you get to the last 1 or 2 tables where the real money stats to show up and each pay jump matters. I normally don't worry about it until I get to the final table.