I want to become a poker pro from scratch

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I decided I want to play poker professionally and before starting to play "seriously" I want to develop a plan. I decided I want to play 6-max cash - zoom mainly. I can not say I am talented but I am OK at math but I have very weak memory. I am developing a habit of studying poker 7 sessions a day divided into 25 minutes each which is called pomodoro technique. By studying I mean reading a book (Grinder's Manual, Mental Game of Poker, etc). I am also doing some quizzes on upswing lab and getting poor results. I can say that I am gradually transforming from being Unconscously Incompetent to Consciosly Competent.

I will be playing HUDless because where I am from I only can play on GG poker.

Here is my plan before I start to play for real money:

1. Pre-construct preflop raising ranges including 3-bet and 4-bet ranges which MUST include all possible scenarios (like UTG vs CO, SB vs BB). I will try to maximise EV while constructing them.I will divide opponents (fish, reg etc) into categories and modify ranges but I will save all pre-constructed ranges on Excel. I will colour code calls, value raises and bluff raises. I will keep this excel sheet open while I play. I heard there are other paid software where I can do this but i am clueless.

2.Study post-flop play. This is where I am very Incompetent. I think I shall gather something like a thousand most encountered post-flop situations and try to understand logic behind them and ingrain them into my mind. I will be looking for similarities in my play to these most common encounters.

I know this is a long way to go and will make me busy about a year but I think it might be awarding.

What do you think about my plan? Is it wrong to approach like this? Any modifications you would do if you were me?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds like you’re doing an awesome job and have developed an excellent plan! I’d just recommend looking at variance so that you have an idea what type of swings are normal, and using that to help decide on your bankroll (in conjunction with the stakes you plan on playing).

I wish you the best of luck on your journey! :)

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decided I want to play poker professionally and before starting to play "seriously" I want to develop a plan. I decided I want to play 6-max cash - zoom mainly. I can not say I am talented but I am OK at math but I have very weak memory. I am developing a habit of studying poker 7 sessions a day divided into 25 minutes each which is called pomodoro technique. By studying I mean reading a book (Grinder's Manual, Mental Game of Poker, etc). I am also doing some quizzes on upswing lab and getting poor results. I can say that I am gradually transforming from being Unconscously Incompetent to Consciosly Competent.

I will be playing HUDless because where I am from I only can play on GG poker.

Here is my plan before I start to play for real money:

1. Pre-construct preflop raising ranges including 3-bet and 4-bet ranges which MUST include all possible scenarios (like UTG vs CO, SB vs BB). I will try to maximise EV while constructing them.I will divide opponents (fish, reg etc) into categories and modify ranges but I will save all pre-constructed ranges on Excel. I will colour code calls, value raises and bluff raises. I will keep this excel sheet open while I play. I heard there are other paid software where I can do this but i am clueless.

2.Study post-flop play. This is where I am very Incompetent. I think I shall gather something like a thousand most encountered post-flop situations and try to understand logic behind them and ingrain them into my mind. I will be looking for similarities in my play to these most common encounters.

I know this is a long way to go and will make me busy about a year but I think it might be awarding.

What do you think about my plan? Is it wrong to approach like this? Any modifications you would do if you were me?

Looks like a very solid thought out approach. Just make sure you are doing your research as it implies to the format you are planning on playing. For example preflop starting hand charts for 9 max are different than 6 max. And different again for 6 max zoom.

This is a personal opinion, but don't get caught up in "failing" quizes. The difference between being right or wrong is usually less than a percentage point of EV. I think these spots are put in these quizzes on purpose to make decent players feel like they are worse than they actually are in order to try and get them to sign up for training. Again just my opinion.

You've mentioned using upswing and although I don't promote any site on purpose. They are they only site I know of that has a Post Flop training software. It's call the post flop game plan and is only $7 I think. If you have identified that as a real spot of weakness it might be worth the small investment.

If you are starting at the bottom. Make sure you do some solid study on exploitive play. Playing by the book (or hand chart) can cost you some money at the lowest stakes games. With high rake you need to maximize your profits against bad players in order to not get your profit eaten up by the house. At the higher stakes where the rake/pot ratio is lower you will need a more straight forward approach but at the micros make sure you understand how and when to exploit the ocean of fish.

Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck.