S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a question about a play I made this morning:

I'm in a 0.11$ sit&go (bad players). 1500 chips, blinds are 10-20 to start, turbo speed.
I hit Q3o, 25o, 69o, J2s, ... for 40 minutes straight. I keep folding because it's shit (really bad luck). Didn't see an ace during the whole tourney.

So the blinds get to 100-200, at this point i have 890 chips. I hit KJs in the button.
A relatively tight player (950 chips) calls and a fish (4600 chips) calls. I decided to go allin.

sb and BB fold, and both players call.

Flop is Jh 3c 7h. Player bets 60 chips (allin), fish calls.
Player had A7h, fish had nothing.
Turn comes 3s. River 9h.

So the player won the pot with a flush, and I was out.

My reasoning for going allin was this: If I raise to 400 jsut to see the flop, I don't bully them away, they'll probably call. If I raise to 600, I might just go allin, and going Allin makes them fold, maybe.

Was it a bad play?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The play was fine to my eyes. But you've to question yourself how you played the entire tournament. You were super tight from the beginning. You may be getting very bad cards but you have to try and make a play at least. Or a likely bluff.

you go down to half the starting stack without any effort or play and then suddenly go all loose..
You've got to ask your self was it worth it?

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The play was fine to my eyes. But you've to question yourself how you played the entire tournament. You were super tight from the beginning. You may be getting very bad cards but you have to try and make a play at least. Or a likely bluff.

you go down to half the starting stack without any effort or play and then suddenly go all loose..

I've had 1 hand, where on the flop i would have hit triple J. But it was a low stakes tourney (so many people allin and call with nothing), and that hand was J4o on the big blind. The button went allin preflop. I can't call that.

I honestly think that run I played really well, I just got really unlucky with my hands.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've had 1 hand, where on the flop i would have hit triple J. But it was a low stakes tourney (so many people allin and call with nothing), and that hand was J4o on the big blind. The button went allin preflop. I can't call that.

I honestly think that run I played really well, I just got really unlucky with my hands.

As to bluffing. I really don't like bluffing when I've got nothing. Semi bluff is fine sometimes... But I didn't get in any position to do so.

Bodomovac

Bodomovac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played this hand correctly, but what I can question is why did you play so tight in the first place?

You should be little more aggressive with whatever hand you have like Ax Qx Jx on this type of tournament because if you want to win you must gamble and win some flips.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As to bluffing. I really don't like bluffing when I've got nothing. Semi bluff is fine sometimes... But I didn't get in any position to do so.

But were you that card dead to loose almost half the stack? Then you were very unlucky that day I guess.
You are the one who played the tourney so you've to revise and find the errors you made if you made any
One reason they would've called you is because your table presence wasn't good enough. You weren't seen as a serious threat.
You have to raise & even defend your blinds to let them know you can't be bullied.

HennieP

HennieP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you can find yourself card dead for the first hour or two of a tournament and it really sucks but it happens. In fact it happens a lot more than you think. The key is to know when to let go and start playing a wider range of hands. If the blinds are going to be a problem soon start playing any suited Ace, any two picture cards and any connectors you get. You'll have to tread more carefully of course so it's best to try and see cheap flops with these hands and hope you connect strongly.

Don't wait for the blinds to become an issue. Take any semi-decent hand and play it like you mean it. If you get busted out it's still better than waking up and realizing that you're so far behind you're not going to come back at all.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, it was by far my worst series of hands in a tournament ever. I have never encountered somehting like that.

I could have maybe called some Qxs, but that didn't even happen, at most it was a Q4o. Which I think, shouldn't bet 10% of my stack on if I'm not on the button.