R

Rusty72Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi team

I watch alot of Lex and Finton, etc.

I note they talk about isolating alot. Could anyone please explain what they mean or point to a link that could explain?

Hope I am not isolating you into responding and you do out of free will!

Cheers
Rusty

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi team

I note they talk about isolating alot. Could anyone please explain what they mean or point to a link that could explain?

Cheers
Rusty
Hello. Isolation in poker means the action of a player, as a result of which the action of another player at the table becomes impossible, unprofitable, risky. As an example, increasing the size of the bet on the flop with a flush draw on the board so that the opponent's odds do not allow him to call.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suspect they mean raising pre-flop, sometimes larger than they normally would, after a few limpers, with the intentions of playing heads-up with one of them.

You tend to find lots of limping at the tables. If you have a big hand, you don't want to flop with 2/3/4 limpers.

From one Rusty to another..

I

ICU1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally it's after someone with lower chip count pushes. Someone who has acess pushes so none takea chance. Isolated to just one on one.

R

Rusty72Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Isolation in poker means the action of a player, as a result of which the action of another player at the table becomes impossible, unprofitable, risky. As an example, increasing the size of the bet on the flop with a flush draw on the board so that the opponent's odds do not allow him to call.
Thank you [emoji109]

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
looks like others have done a nice job of answering for me already :) but I'd like to add that this isolation concept sort of works the inverse as well. Not only should you be trying to isolate players you perceive as weaker than you (or exploitable in some way), but you similarly should be trying to avoid being isolated against players you perceive as stronger than you (poker pros, or maybe regulars you respect).

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi team

Cheers
Rusty

I am going to try one more definition for you.

Our chances (equity) of winning a hand are ALWAYS less when we are against more than one player. If we want to get to the flop with the most possible equity, we must isolate down to a single player at the flop. We do this by betting enough to get everyone else to fold.

There is a bunch of strategy here, like which hands do we want to isolate with and which do we want to have multiple opponents. We generally consider isolating pre-flop.

Good luck and God Bless.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nice post, I'd not knew this to

good luck