I was on fire: what happened?

O

OMGInsanoCut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, it seems I have not post for quite a while... so update is I deposited $38, I was on fire on S&G HU and I think I didn't slept for 2 days, constantly drinking some coffee and smoking 420 in perfect timing. I made it to$100 range in first hour or so, after few wins I go back to 420 in good timings and my buy ins were now at $200s and played like $3 and lower buy-ins after winning high stakes. My bankroll was now at $680 at time before I fall asleep.

I was thinking to cash out some of the profits, during those high stake S&G moments. I figure poker is a sport when my adrenaline pumping, I can literally feel the heart beat around my body from head to toe when I was locked in good hands. Sadly after a long good run after my rest the next day at night, I thought I still had it, my testosterone were kicking in and I went for $500 S&G HU and lost with my KA; I got raised on my BB so I re-raised 4x, got called, other guy had 10 J diamonds, flop turn out to be Q K with some other card as a dime; guy followed my half raised on flop with straight draw, now turn is some kind of diamond, I bet half the pot, got called... river was XXX diamond and now the guy has nut flush, I was betting and got re-raised all-in. I now had too much to lose with so little left in chips so I just call while behind and lost there.

I played my remaining $100 something anyhow, was not in tilt mood but just lost some reputation after my big lost... I wonder what it takes to play elite tournament on 888 cause I thought I was going there at one point LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
seems to me that you over played your abbilities, and didn't follow up with BRM.
If you played out of your league/comfort zone, that's what usually happen.

Start playing low lvl games, build your confidence, then make some nice BR, then move up the lvl, you will be much better in long run.

Anyway, gl to you.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a guy on this site suggested that you should only ever invest 1/4 of your bank at any one time, and leave the cash table when you double it... I am using a "50% and double strategy" when my bank is small... which it is now, and it seems to be safe...
your run was great, and you should have turned off your computer earlier... NEXT TIME BRO!

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you man, I’ve built a bankroll too and let it crash and burn. Correct me if I’m wrong but the worst part about losing like that isn’t the money, but the feeling of “I thought I was good but I just lost it all”

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a bankroll is a player’s weapon that requires proper care and seriousness

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I moved this to Learning Poker as unfortunately, I think it's a good lesson in what happens with bad bankroll management. :eek: I know because I've been there before way back in the day: you have some run good playing outside your limits, and then you think you can run the poker world. The problem is, you start playing games way outside what you should, and then the runbad happens or just plain bad calls that get you and your bankroll in trouble.

$500 HUSNG? Come on man, you and I both know that was a bad call. Don't be your own worst enemy at the table. Protect your profits and your roll. A crucial trait of any poker player is patience, and that includes with moving up through the ranks and building your bankroll the right way.

Another important thing to understand: tilt doesn't always have to be associated with feeling angry or agitated. You can have "reverse tilt" like when you go on an epic upswing and then move way past your bankroll limits because you feel so good about your game and that adrenaline is pumping. Always a good idea to take a deep breath, relax, and think about the consequences of what could happen first.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The title of the thread is misleading, but perhaps OP thinks that way and is their self misled. You did great in many SNGs and basically had one bad one. Poker players dream of this scenario. Bankroll management is real. I don't think everyone has to stick to certain rules, but if you care about losing all your money in one game it's the one idea that will keep that from happening. Period.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a guy on this site suggested that you should only ever invest 1/4 of your bank at any one time, and leave the cash table when you double it... I am using a "50% and double strategy" when my bank is small... which it is now, and it seems to be safe...
your run was great, and you should have turned off your computer earlier... NEXT TIME BRO!
1/4 seems even quite loose in my opinion. Unless taking a shot - I'd suggest to stick to a 10% BR rule. Example. If I have $100, I will only play in a $10 buyin event. If my BR drops to $50 without a win, I will drop down to $5 buyins.
If I run it up to $200 - I can start to play $20 buyin events.

I'm actually even a little tighter than this for my own BR. I use a 5% BR rule.

SnGs are maybe different - but this is my own self imposed BR management rules I use for MTTs and has worked well so far.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i feel for you now this has never happened to me being have good brm but once was on pokerhost and was winning left and right and unfortunately i messed up and chose a tourney 50.00 that i didnt mean to buy into.... this could have affected me a lot worse but i hurt the brm a ton.... was 100% mistake i was shocked when play started and was like your kidding me and then tightened up to make sure i moneyed and didnt..... i took a walk came back and in 3-4 days won my money back systematically etc... and that is what i always suggest.... its your money but 500 heads up to me is insane unless you have millions to throw away...

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those cooler hands and set-ups are brutal sometimes.....lol Just gotta keep your head up and try to hold out until the deck warms again for ya. Snag a few blinds along the way if possible.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, it seems I have not post for quite a while... so update is I deposited $38, I was on fire on S&G HU and I think I didn't slept for 2 days

This could have something to do with it... I personally don't function super well (especially with poker) when I'm running on little sleep. Being tired tends to push me to make decisions I wouldn't otherwise make. Sleep is important!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, after massaging your bankroll to $500, then playing it all on one roll, did not help your cause. I hope you can run your roll to $500 again and not make the same mistake(of entering a buyin that would erase your bankroll if you lose).

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These days at that level based on some evidence we have seen, I would be concerned I was playing a bot.

I know personally a good amount of players that have done something similar to this and blown their bankroll. One was 38k. Youll get there again, just dont make the same mistake.