HUD VPIP

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My VPIP usually runs around 20 to 21. Does anyone else track their VPIP and have a goal for it and adjust play accordingly? I find that at 20 it puts my starting hand range to be solid. Does anyone else have suggestions for ways to play a starting hand range?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the table and situations, 20-ish percent is certainly in the realm of solid. Typically VPIP is anywhere from 10% - 25% based on the player playstyle. Anything tighter than 10% or looser than 25% is tough to be successful with.

As for suggestions on starting range, I'd say plan it out before each hand begins (or better yet before the game begins), so you already have an idea what to do. If this person 3-bets me this amount or more I'll fold, but lower I'd call, or I'll open-raise this amount if folded around to me, but if anyone is in before me, then I'll fold etc.

By deciding things like this prior, it takes the emotion of the moment out of the decision making and you'll find more logical decisions and less based on impulses :cool:

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know my pre-flop ranges so I guess in that sense I have a goal for it. I don't alter my play at the table if I have a low or high VPIP in a session though. At most, you can use session VPIP as a proxy for how loose or tight your perceived ranges are.

VPIP is one of the most important statistics to plug pre-flop leaks though and very high or very low values are both indications that you need to study pre-flop ranges more.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
A 20% vpip means the player is tight. Up to 30% is correct.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have become a fan of Sky Matsuhashi and his channel, SmartPokerStudy

This is one of his oldest videos but it is still a terrific summary of VPIP and PFR stats - hope it helps you to understand where you want to be, and why. Each player in poker will have a different idea of how they wish to play the game (tight or loose, aggressive or passive) and thus, we will all have different stats to shoot for... and if we're good at adjusting to the table conditions, we should be able to play with a different style each session we play, depending on how our opponents are playing at that time and at that table.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have become a fan of Sky Matsuhashi and his channel, SmartPokerStudy

This is one of his oldest videos but it is still a terrific summary of VPIP and PFR stats - hope it helps you to understand where you want to be, and why. Each player in poker will have a different idea of how they wish to play the game (tight or loose, aggressive or passive) and thus, we will all have different stats to shoot for... and if we're good at adjusting to the table conditions, we should be able to play with a different style each session we play, depending on how our opponents are playing at that time and at that table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlBwTfkR4BE

Very good example bud.

I got to know Sky cause I used to listen to podcasts at work and then I realized that I could hear poker podcasts and found Sky Matsuhashi podcast.

He's fun and informative and definitely all his stuff are very useful.

Thanks for sharing this.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The "correct" VPIP depends on, which game you are playing. 20% is on the low side for 6-handed ganes but on the high side for 9-handed. For heads-up or 3-handed it would be way to tight.