HUD enquiry

K

KierranLS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing Poker for around 12 months now. I currently play online without a HUD. Do you think a HUD is needed to take my game to the next level or do some of you guys just play without?

Thanks

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing multiple tables it is a great tool to have.

It isn't a necessity as much as a tool to help you know your opponents you are up against. It's not just the HUD though that the tracking software offers.

I think the best part of the tracking software is tagging hands that you had to think about or were unsure and reviewing them after your session. Studying is an important part of getting better at the game so the tracking software pays for itself there.

Can you get along without it? Yes. Should you get it? IF you are serious about poker then I would recommend having some sort of poker tracking software.

They have trials so you can use them and see which one you like better. I know PokerTracker and Holdem Manager. There may be another out there for you to try as well.

Good Luck

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should definitely get an HUD if you want to become better and increase your profits. An HUD gives you so much information that you would otherwise miss when multitabling. It also allows you to keep track of your stats and know where you're leaking money and what your strengths are. There are virtually zero downsides to having an HUD so you need to get one ASAP

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to move to the next level, a HUD is an essential tool, it just holds so much data that will be of benefit further down the line and stats never lie...
I use Poker Tracker 4 but there are several out there...

K

KierranLS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank guys, appreciate the feedback. I am definitely going to have a look into getting a HUD. Now, which one to choose....

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank guys, appreciate the feedback. I am definitely going to have a look into getting a HUD. Now, which one to choose....

Definitely look into Jivaro or Poker Copilot. PT4 and HEM are overrated. In 2018 there are nicer cleaner options to use :)

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A HUD, when used correctly, might increase your BB/100 by AT MOST 2bb/100, which is quite an investment when you play a lot of hands. I'm not a HUD fiend, and I think that people use their HUD improperly, by changing their default strategy based on not enough information. Interpreting a HUD incorrectly can lead to bad plays, so there's that. There have been many times, however, where I've made correct Hero calls because of the stats I've had on an opponent. My 3-bet game is pretty dynamic depending on villian's 3-bet an Foldv3bet percentages.

I'm more of a fan of the DB which comes with the HUD, and the various features that it has. For example, being able to filter all your hands where you were check/raised on the flop is quite cool!

I have PT4, HEM2, DriveHUD, and Jivaro (Don't ask me why I have no many), and I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, depending on what you're looking for.

tldr; Yes, you need a HUD to

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I vaguely remember trying a HUD years ago, but it was acting up, and I never bothered with the things again. After reading the posts here, I feel the main advantage they offer is the ability to audit one's play after the fact, so perhaps I'll fool around with one again for that reason.

I've never liked the idea of them anyway but only because I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the rules of a game.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but it's not as important as people make it out to be. I maybe have increased my bb/100 by 0.8 because of a HUD. I've made a couple of hero calls and hero folds because of the HUD stats on my opponents, but it's really not that serious.

The most important thing a HUD can really give offer you in terms of profitability is fold to steal, and 3 bet % and Foldvs3Bet%. Other than those, you got your basic stats that give you a general overview of how a player plays, but people need to understand how skewed a player's stats are with only 500 hands.

Use it wisely, and you'll make some profit.

P

paulw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely look into Jivaro or Poker Copilot. PT4 and HEM are overrated. In 2018 there are nicer cleaner options to use :)

Hi DomGov. I got to disagree, you could never compare Jivaro to PT4, Jivario imo is for the new starter, or the occasinal player thats not really interested in going forward in poker, its an easy very tidy intoduction to HUDs, or to the other extreme some pro's that dont really need a hud as much as the average player,

PT4 has got to be the best out there, the ease of making your own pop ups alone is worth every penny you pay for it, thats without taking into account all the offline study you can do with it.

The only slight downside for me that I found, was the set up and working out how everything worked, but after 1 week of trials and error, everything seems to fall into place and I would never again play online without it,

There ars loads ov videos out there to help you get up and running, and more helping you to get the best out of PT4