How did you build a bankroll?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For all the bigger money players out there, how did you establish your initial bankroll?

Did you put aside X amount of dollars from each pay check until you had a decent bankroll?

Did you start with an initial amount and start playing lower stakes and eventually move up?

Or did you start from scratch and play freerolls and built to low buy in then up?

BlackMember

BlackMember

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started with non-deposit bonus of $50 from pokerstrategy. It was so a long time ago )))))

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure what you consider 'bigger money players' but I got my first $0-100 from some freeroll cashes and micro stake MTT/SNG.

They say the first $100 is the hardest, so I feel like this sorta answers your question! :)

KJoff4u

KJoff4u

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely do well in freerolls because smart play doesn't really apply. Too many people going all in on marginal hands to cause you to fold a less marginal hand.
But because its free, I do some here and there.
I do better when I put some money in and play $10 and up tourneys, and try to avoid the $1 stuff where people play loose and crazy just because they know they can because they know they can buy back in cheap....lottery players. Drives me nuts

KJoff4u

KJoff4u

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I try to play only freezeouts if possible. If you are a smart player, you're playing less of the "lottery" players in these because once your out, you're out.

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started on pokerstars in 2006 I traded a shirt I found to a friend for a transfer of $5. Worked that up by play micro cashes where I would set a goal of gaining $1 per day for 2 weeks. Which wasn't that hard to do back then. And once I hit $20 I just strived for $2 per day and slowly just increased bankroll to $50. Once I hit $50 I started mixing in a bit of $1 and $2mtt. I would play micro cash 0.5/0.1 still trying to make my $2 per day. Eventually just grinding for a few weeks I hit a dece win. It was a $1.10 mtt on pstars with like 5000 players. I did not win but FT for $700+. 1 big win in a mtt can change everything. Just grind that bacnkroll I like what mepper said above - the 1st $100 are the hardest.
GL at the tables and stay positive!

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
well, like almost everyone out there, I started with freerolls, and deposited only to clear the bonus and to be the able to withdraw.
:)
This is only side kick, something to enjoy and play a few games, mostly freerolls to relax, and some other small lvl tournament.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies. I have been playing freerolls mostly and when I’ve got some cash I’ve been playing 50 cent or $1 MTT. I like the card chat Freeroll better as they seem to have less all inners versus the usual freeroll. And if I don’t cash I still feel like I’m playing and enjoying more.

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i suck at brm to...i iish i was better id be playing lol

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other question I have is what size tournaments to you play compared to the size of your bankroll?

For example if you had $100 on a sire, would you play say 10% tourneys so about $10 buy in, or more or less or go whole hog and play a $100 (I’d think this is not advisable)

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still working on my BR for online. Don't want to deposit because I have been hacked before. I will not put my CC on any site.

Live play I put a set amount back every week for my BR. I like live tourneys and when I place ITM I put my buy-in back plus 50 % of profit.

Been working so far.
I want to go play wsop one day so I try to save for that too.

M

MoStateRounder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Growing your bankroll

I've also been looking at building a bankroll lately and read this article which was pretty helpful and made a bunch of good points. I think it might help you and/or others in the thread as well. https://upswingpoker.com/grow-bankroll-stay-happy/

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve tried to build one going from online to live. I put aside so much until I got what I felt comfortable with then began playing

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Through regular job. Been saving for some time and then deposited. And since then i dont deposit anymore, i just play with what i ve got. Sometimes it drops, sometimes i build it very high, but still about when i started. Waiting for my 15 minutes of fame ;)

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some freeroolls and sng $0,25 45p regular

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still trying to build it myself, I always jump over and play PLO at higher stakes than I should.. whoops.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not a big money player but i won sometimes on freerolls and on our cc freerolls, i think its possible to get a bankroll without depositing, but you have to put all if yourself in it :)

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls. I have started from zero many times. I have made many withdrawals. It is a lot of work, yet very rewarding.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for responses. Guess I’ll keep grinding the freerolls and then play low level as I get some cash. Got 3 cents from yesterday 888 freeroll. I’m on my way!

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I deposited an amount and played within the limits of my bankrool and continue to build it

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, your bankroll should be enough to make you feel comfortable playing a certain limit of buyin, for example, it is not comfortable playing a $ 1000 buyin tournament with $ 10,000, but with $ 1,000,000 yes and exactly in that proportion that I feel comfortable, 1000 - 1.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Started from 0 playing just freerolls including Cardschat freerolls and use these cash wisely sometimes winning tickets on streams or something , so I just want to let you know if you don't have possibility to make deposits and stuff , building from freerolls is something possible for sure and everyone can do it .

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I work a regular job so deposited some, I've built it a little playing NL but have lost quite a chunk playing a little PLO, it's much more swingy than NL.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management