How would you play AQo on the flop with a Q?

F

Flameo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand history:
Hero(SB): QsAc
Villain (Button): KcKs

He raises 3bb pre flop. I call. Everyone else folds.

Flop: Qc6dJh

He bets 5bb. I min raise to 10bb. Then he raises to 38bb. At this point I all-in (110bb) and he calls.

Turn and river: 7s9h

I realised I was way overconfident when I flopped top pair top kicker (was card-dead for 45min so got a bit overly excited to see top pair top kicker). I ran the hands through odds calculator and realised I'm pretty much a 4:1 underdog or worse to Q6, QJ, KK or any other hand that makes 2 pair or an overpair. Obviously I didn't think it through and should've realised the jig was up once the villain re-raised on the flop. I'm also wondering how you guys would play this situation? The Villain is fairly loose and always raises with 3bb no matter what so it was quite difficult to pin down his range on the flop. Thanks for any suggestion, still learning to improve here.

T

tacochip2600

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand sounds familiar. I think I’m the guy with kk. If you were on Bovada it was. Anyway the mistakes I think that were made is not repoppoing the pre flop bet yes I had kk but in a vacuum I show up with many hands dominated by aq. 2nd mistake was not pot controlling after not re popping. Because there was no aggression pre I couldn’t give you credit for a bigger hand than top pair.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you got a bit carried away on the flop after being card-dead. I understand that it's a tough situation when you finally hit a top pair with the best kicker and then are up against a loose player. I would've just called on the flop, maybe on turn too but then started to think about folding on river if he would've continued to raise which he probably would have. Only one pair, even the top one, is usually not enough on river when villain raises on all streets and the pot is big.

I don't think one pair is enough to reraise with either and that reraise on the flop will only get you in trouble against a loose player 'cause just like you said yourself, it was hard to pin down his range. However, it was your choice this time but then the next time to save yourself comes right after when he re-reraises you. That's the moment when you should've realized that you are not going to win this hand with just one pair.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have a good hand , but just like said before, you need to potcontrol. If your opponent bets 3 streets in a 3-bet pot, you might even consider folding the river, because you are just bluffcatching. Without reads I am calling 3 streets unless I see a river shove.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be here on all the streets playing check-call, if the enemy put all-in it would be exactly alerted, and most likely I would have dropped the cards.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You overplayed hand. You shoud call.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi

Personally with what transpired with your hand, a lot of people have experienced the same for sure.

Commenting now on how you should have played or how others would have played is easier said than done.

When you are in that moment your mind plays a different game.

You are pumped up sitting out for a lot of time with garbage hands, you see a AQ it excites you.

And when you flop that your adrenaline goes whoosh, heart pumping faster than ever.

I would call it hard luck friend.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it's a good idea to get 100 BBs all in with a TPTK hand unless the villain is super loose and aggressive.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand gets me sometimes too. Getting it all in with top pair top kicker isn't where you wanna be unless you're in it for the adrenaline!

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st thing is congrats on realizing what you did wrong. Now when you hit top pair besides AA and someone reraises you they are either testing you, if it is a big re raise well then they could have a over pocket pair like in this case or the worse they hit their pocket pair and have trips. these are all tough situations and I even come out on the wrong side of them Just try and not push to hard with those chips they are easy to push but hard to pull.....

Hand history:
Hero(SB): QsAc
Villain (Button): KcKs

He raises 3bb pre flop. I call. Everyone else folds.

Flop: Qc6dJh

He bets 5bb. I min raise to 10bb. Then he raises to 38bb. At this point I all-in (110bb) and he calls.

Turn and river: 7s9h

I realised I was way overconfident when I flopped top pair top kicker (was card-dead for 45min so got a bit overly excited to see top pair top kicker). I ran the hands through odds calculator and realised I'm pretty much a 4:1 underdog or worse to Q6, QJ, KK or any other hand that makes 2 pair or an overpair. Obviously I didn't think it through and should've realised the jig was up once the villain re-raised on the flop. I'm also wondering how you guys would play this situation? The Villain is fairly loose and always raises with 3bb no matter what so it was quite difficult to pin down his range on the flop. Thanks for any suggestion, still learning to improve here.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think call would the best decision, your hand is quite good but the opponent's behavior makes you fold as a result.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If somebody is betting that aggressively then you need to think about what has you beat at that point. Obviously KK or AA, but also a set of Q's, 6's, J's, two pair QJ or the unlikely Q6/J6, that's 8 hands that could potentially beat you on the flop. AA, KK, QQ, JJ or 66 could be likely if he's betting that heavy. The only scenario where I could see the opponent simply betting or even checking preflop is with AK, AJ or K10. Never get married to top pair on the flop

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
All in is the best strategy. Anger is great if something bad happens. After that playing is impossible.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya sounds like a rookie mistake I would make also, On the 38bb raise you should have thought he had a better hand and either folded or just called. Maybe hit an A or Q next street then go all in. I have blinders on sometimes and do not see the obvious obtions either.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ive had a lot of experiences like this, but then changed my game play in other poker games. usually just call/call/fold. if I sense strength in the hand I would probably fold this. and try and build my stack with the remaining <15 blinds. with tight play

T

tscheniizu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most things already said I guess.

I think that your top-pair was worth a raise but after his re-raise you should have been suspicious and think about a fold/call.

For your opponent it should have been clear that you hit the top pair (as he already confirmed here...) so their are only two or three reasons he re-raises:
- Very aggressive guy, trying to bluff and dominate you with nothing
- Hitting two pair (wouldn't think of J6 but QJ is quite common!) or a set (JJ, QQ, 66)
- Hand with a better pair than the top pair (AA, KK)

It hurts to fold the top-pair but with his aggression I wouldn't go for an all-in. ;)

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong decision calling all in with only top pair. I have called with two pair or higher in a given situation. Although much will depend on the style of your opponent's game.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't go for an all in
you bacically played the hand the best you could
they figured they had best hand so they were playing you