How would you play AQ in Q 9 A ?

POKER_CHAMPION

POKER_CHAMPION

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I would like to know how you would play this hand, you have AQ and the flop falls Q 9 A, I usually end up betting the pot on the flop and I commit to this since in my opinion the double pairs of AQ is a hand very strong on the flop, so I continued on the turn with the second barrel and on the River sometimes I finished All in. There are no flush draws, there are no straights and the only thing that can beat me is a set and so it happens, I get paid with a set of 999 and I lose my hand. How would you play this hand?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, I would like to know how you would play this hand, you have AQ and the flop falls Q 9 A, I usually end up betting the pot on the flop and I commit to this since in my opinion the double pairs of AQ is a hand very strong on the flop, so I continued on the turn with the second barrel and on the River sometimes I finished All in. There are no flush draws, there are no straights and the only thing that can beat me is a set and so it happens, I get paid with a set of 999 and I lose my hand. How would you play this hand?
what kind of game is it? what are stack sizes? what was preflop action? what were the bet sizes and actions for each street? what information do you have on your opponents and the actions they took?

how i would play this hand depends on a lot of things.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's called a cooler. You didn't play it wrong. Your opponent didn't play it wrong. The hand basically plays itself.

You maybe could have paid less by not betting the pot on the flop, but you can expect to see a raise from the guy with the set on the flop, turn, or river. Chances are you will still be all-in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are sub forums dedicated to tournament hand analysis and cash game hand analysis. Please post the actual hand history in the relevant of these two forums. This will give you a much better and more usefull feedback. That being said even without knowing all the details, the hand does sound like just a standard cooler, and there is nothing to learn from coolers.

You will have 99 on AQ9, when someone else have AQ just as often, as you have AQ, when they have 99. And regardless, who have which hand, all the money or chips usually end up in the middle, so nobody win or lose anything at all in these spots. They are just a neutral EV wash and part of the variance, which we need to overcome to get near our true long term results.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are holding AQ on a AQ9 rainbow board - you are a major favourite to win the hand at showdown most of the time - again if the scenario is as you described it with no flush or straight draws on board at River stage - you absolutely did nothing wrong and i would continue to play the same way if it remains profitable.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
nothing you can do

it's poker

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Champ ,

When I'm in that spot , I usually go aggro , so no slowplaying , but I would never bet pot. 1/2-2/3 of pot will do the trick , vs some opponents even less . Also depends am I playing tourney or cash , and depening on position , but almost always betting it whole way , and am prepared to go all-in at any time , if game/opponents are going that way . It all depends !

Ofc sometimes you'll encounter two nines , but in my opinion its good and profitable play on long run , I mean you floped top 2 , you cant flop much better then that ... :) Maybe a straight/boat , but thats it ...

Even when you lose , you should have good bankroll for games you're playing , so it doesnt hurt u much , and could keep doing it . I mean they can't always have 99 , I think they're calling with Ak in those spots aswell , probably the whole way .

This is just my humble opinion :icon_sant

Gl Champ

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not a hand you can get away from unless you are playing against an absolute rock. This just happens in a game of incomplete information. You can make the right move and still lose.

Same as as blackjack. I was dealt a 92 for an 11 and the deal had a 6 showing. The correct move is to double down. I did, got a 3 and the dealer flipped over a 4 and hit a face card for 20. I lose. Does it suck? Sure! Will I make the same move the next time this happens? Absolutely!

D

Damian12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how many people have folded the flop. If a lot, I slightly raise and wait for my opponent's bluff

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In this case I play aggressive, ok you can lose for a set, but is part of game, however I don't do over bets, because even being AQ a strong hand Pre Flop, in Post Flop even being a strong hand two pairs is not a strong formed hand.

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It does depend on how the action went between you and your opponent in order to determine whether you played the hand right or not. Depending on the game type (Cash game, MTT) and the quality of the players, it could be right to always try to get the money in with this hand as lower level players could pair their ace and become calling stations.

However, if you are playing against somewhat competent players, it is important to realize what kind of action you are getting. Betting the flop is perfectly fine as you should be betting all of your very strong holdings and your semi-bluffs. Once you barrel on the turn and get called, you should be somewhat concerned as to what your opponent could have, as AQ is starting to become weaker after having been called two streets. On the river, I think that you should never lead with an all-in (if that is what you are saying that you did, I wasn't sure) and in fact you could probably mix in firing a third barrel and checking on the river. If you were to bet, he could call you with a worse two pair, however the way you played it makes it very obvious you have a strong hand. If you are raised, you are almost certainly NEVER good in this position. Also, if there are no draws on board that he could be looking for, this should alert you that he is calling and betting with a made hand, as any bet he makes on the river would not be a bluff.

Hope my input helps in some way!:)