how to visualize opponents' cold calling range and what CC% means

rowhousepd

rowhousepd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very general question about how to visualize a villains' preflop cold call range based on a couple of basic stats. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume he's very vanilla, very straightforward, and essentially doesn't bluff.

If a villain has a VPIP of 30%, a PFR of 10%, and 3BET of 5% (JJ+, AQ+, KQ), then we can assume when he's given the opportunity to flat, he's calling with aaallllll those hands in blue, correct? (See screenshot.)

If so, I'd think we his cold call stat would be ~25%. I've found, however, that the actual CC% in my hud is almost never close to the difference between his VPIP and 3Bet %'s. Maybe I'm not understanding what the cold calling stats (in either PT4 & HM2) refer too? Thanks.

140bb9026e2a6b8ea2154c5edd13b409.png

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
CC could be check/call. Just a guess btw.:)

P

paulw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there,
I can help you out with this one, the cold calling stat is one of those stats where you need a large sample to get a clearer view of your opponents cc range. I have it my hud HM2 and I use it to hover over the number with the mouse as a quick way to see into my pop up,

the example of 25% is an average SPREAD over EP MP CO BTN SB BB and if you have a baseline of @300 hands and alot more you will see a pattern starting to develop in your pop up for his positional cc, forget about the average 25% number and concentrate on the position he is calling you from,

from a positional aware player his numbers may look like EP- 0 MP- 0 CO-0 BTN-2 SB-15 BB-68, so really the actual number in the HUD should only be used as a guide to the number of times he cc, and you must go to the pop up and concentrate mainly on the /btn /sb/bb this way you will have a clear idea of his true cc range.

You might also be interested in 2 stats I have together on the HUD it will only work in small stakes games, and theres no need to go into pop ups for these, its the limp and fold to limp, I was amazed when I put these on the hud, after @ 50 hands the fish/whales really start to show their true colours, its not unusual to see numbers like 10/100 or even higher than the 10, these number mean the fish has limped 10 times and folded to a bet every time unbelievable, anyhow this is off subject, but I hope I have helped on the cc stat

gl at the tables

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
VPIP consists not only of CC and PFR. There can be also limps. So if you sum up the absolute quantity of hands limped, CCed and PFRed you will get a VPIP in hands. But this equation won't work with percentages because percentage shows how often a player makes the particular move once he has an opportunity to make it, and the quantity of opportunities for each of these actions is not the same.
I hope you understood what I tried to say :D