How to use maths in poker?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand how to work out chances of getting your out but dont know what math calculations im supposed to be working out and when. People say maths is huge in poker so best learn what i need to be working out :)

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand how to work out chances of getting your out but dont know what math calculations im supposed to be working out and when. People say maths is huge in poker so best learn what i need to be working out :)

Nowadays the calculations are done for us. I urge you to check these out

1. Poker Stove (it's free)
2. Poker Equilab (it's free)
3. Flopzilla (Cost money, but WELL worth it)
4. Snapshove (Free, to an extent)
5. Take EV (Free)

the general math's that are used during a hand are

1. pot odds (simple math)
2. Card odds (simple math)
3. Implied odds (subtract pot odds from odds of hitting your draw)
4. Reverse implied odds (same but instead of how much you can win this is how much you lose)
5. Fold equity (there are fold equity calculators)
6. range percentages (there are range calculators)
7. SPR- stack to pot ratio (effective stack/pot size)

There are many more, but this is a good start.

Nowadays everything you need to know about poker is a fingertip away. Google is and will always be your best friend.

As far as in game calculations I generally do more than the average person but I have trained myself to know these calculations and short cuts to make the calculations easier, to not tank for half an hour lol

Most equations from snapshove I have memorized. So that when I'm short stacked I know what range I should be shoving, and vice versa what I should be calling off.

In general pot odds and your card odds range percentages SPR and fold equity are good to do every time, you can easily do these in your head.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A small example of mathematics.
You have JT, and the flop is 9,8,2, how many outs do you have?Solution: Your hand may increase to a straight if there is a queen or seven on the turn or river.You need to calculate how much Q and 7 are left in the deck at best.This suppose that there are four ladies and four sevens left in the deck.
Therefore, it can be concluded that the total number of outs is 8.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
I play poker for about one year. There is no doubt, mathematical knowledge can be used to effectively play poker. But honestly, I always rely more on my intuition.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to know the basics is enough for my taste. even if the odds are an indispensable tool in poker and they make it possible to judge if your engagement in a given blow will be profitable. I rely mostly on my experience and the level of my opponents for my decision making.