How to Recover from a Bad Beat?

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Total posts
Awards
MA
We must first of all accept it as such and try to take as much distance as possible. And I also prefer to leave the table for 15 minutes

63burner

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Don't put it all on one..

If you obsess over the little things, it will come back to harm you.
Look at the bigger picture, for every one win, there are probably 8 or 9 losses.

And when you win, if you look back, can you honestly say, "I outplayed them, bluffed, etc"? Or was the win due to catching a little luck, combined with solid play?

nba2009

nba2009

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
I think the best way to recover from a bad streak is to take a break and strengthen your mind to be able to withstand these kinds of things that are part of poker and I would put a little study to continue improving

S

scubed

Visionary
Total posts
We must first of all accept it as such and try to take as much distance as possible. And I also prefer to leave the table for 15 minutes
Sure, leaving the table is a strategy so that you do not tilt. :) Another strategy might be to stay at the table and play tight to reduce your risk so that you can become more comfortable with playing through the bad beat. It's just one hand... mathematically we are supposed to get a bad beat sometimes. Embrace the variance, learn to control your emotions and GOOD LUCK!

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Just think of times when the shoes been on the other foot.. I’m sure you’ve hit a 1 outer on then river a time or too:) I try not to dwell on it in reality most of then time you’ve done everything right all the way to the river and your opponent gets lucky tis poker

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Total posts
Awards
When I used to get really frustrated by bad beats, I’d just take a second and remember that I preferred to lose in a way I had no control over versus losing because I’d made an error. Nothing frustrates me like making an avoidable error in poker, so this negative visualization helped me :)

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Total posts
"Am i happy with the way i played?"

I look at the hand that i lost with and ask one question?

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Total posts
When I used to get really frustrated by bad beats, I’d just take a second and remember that I preferred to lose in a way I had no control over versus losing because I’d made an error. Nothing frustrates me like making an avoidable error in poker, so this negative visualization helped me :)

How do you handle 'bad beats' in tourneys for long weeks, even months? Actually, I can't even call it as a bad beat. My dealt hands down 12% in the last 100K hands about the 1010+ pairs, and AK compare to the mathematical average. Obviously, I forced to play with worse preflop hands (many times have no position), as the blinds eat me + becuase of it, plenty cases from button, SB, I face with monsters from SB, BB + the real bad beat, the river 2-3 cards outs, backdoor flush, straight series, A higher kicker vs A smaller kicker beats. (I mean, most of the time, 70%+, preflop allin situations, playing 50% turbo and hyper) Obviusly, I have some tilt phases because of these series, too. But most of the cases it is totally out of control, can't be 'not frustarated', at least...

Do you think a downswing in the pre-flop dealt cards like this can be common looking at 100K sample. How long can it go like this? What are the worst downswings in dealt 10+ pairs & AK what you have seen, noticed? (if you take attention, follow that)

kley126

kley126

Rock Star
Total posts
YOU HAVE TO READ ALL ABOUT MIND PLAY THAT WILL HELP YOU GET THROUGH ALL THIS KIND OF STUFF ON THE TABLE AND GET BETTER CONTROLIT TAKES TIME BUT LITTLE BY LITTLE IT IS ACHIEVED

J

Jlo111888

Rock Star
Total posts
shut off the computer and take away from poker for a while

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
I'm always getting back within 1 hour.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Total posts
:D LoL! Recover from what???
I only gave to hold some of my chips for a moment. I will take it back later.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Total posts
Look at the bigger picture, for every one win, there are probably 8 or 9 losses.

And when you win, if you look back, can you honestly say, "I outplayed them, bluffed, etc"? Or was the win due to catching a little luck, combined with solid play?
Well said.
Don't take it too seriously. And don't go too excited with your hand, the more excited you are during the hand, the more heartbreaking would be if you lose.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Bad beats suck, but are part of the game.

I try to remember that if I took a bad beat, it means that I made the right decisions to get to that point. Take some solace in that and look to duplicate those hands (just hopefully not the outcome)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Without any doubt I think that the best way to recover from a bad streak ... is to give yourself a space ... to get rid of all that stress and bad vibes ... and then return with positive energy ...

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Total posts
Awards
MA
Sure, leaving the table is a strategy so that you do not tilt. :) Another strategy might be to stay at the table and play tight to reduce your risk so that you can become more comfortable with playing through the bad beat. It's just one hand... mathematically we are supposed to get a bad beat sometimes. Embrace the variance, learn to control your emotions and GOOD LUCK!

Just think of times when the shoes been on the other foot.. I’m sure you’ve hit a 1 outer on then river a time or too:) I try not to dwell on it in reality most of then time you’ve done everything right all the way to the river and your opponent gets lucky tis poker

How do you handle 'bad beats' in tourneys for long weeks, even months? Actually, I can't even call it as a bad beat. My dealt hands down 12% in the last 100K hands about the 1010+ pairs, and AK compare to the mathematical average. Obviously, I forced to play with worse preflop hands (many times have no position), as the blinds eat me + becuase of it, plenty cases from button, SB, I face with monsters from SB, BB + the real bad beat, the river 2-3 cards outs, backdoor flush, straight series, A higher kicker vs A smaller kicker beats. (I mean, most of the time, 70%+, preflop allin situations, playing 50% turbo and hyper) Obviusly, I have some tilt phases because of these series, too. But most of the cases it is totally out of control, can't be 'not frustarated', at least...

Do you think a downswing in the pre-flop dealt cards like this can be common looking at 100K sample. How long can it go like this? What are the worst downswings in dealt 10+ pairs & AK what you have seen, noticed? (if you take attention, follow that)

Bad beats suck, but are part of the game.

I try to remember that if I took a bad beat, it means that I made the right decisions to get to that point. Take some solace in that and look to duplicate those hands (just hopefully not the outcome)

I look at the hand that i lost with and ask one question?

I think the best way to recover from a bad streak is to take a break and strengthen your mind to be able to withstand these kinds of things that are part of poker and I would put a little study to continue improving

I agree with you in all the advice and important information that you have provided to me. But for me the bad beat some days makes me awake and continue to play until I spend all my bankroll, and unfortunately with the realization that I am in a state of Bad beat.
thank you all, and also thank you for the time you have given me. I wish you a good luck