How to recognize a set?

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don’t, you lose. Very hard to pick one out. Just hope it doesn’t happen too often!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not easy, but many times players slow play with this strong hand.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Like the song says, confirmation's easier when you don't think so much about it.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you will always have a hard time knowing someone has one, but you to have to think of the range of the player.

If you raise AJ and its a J, T or 9 high board, or worse even.....then you have to be putting all the low PP's in the other players range. Now this doesn't mean be scared of a set.....you can still C bet, but if a tight or weak player calls your C bet, start to be more wary.....you can maybe check back turn for pot control, or bet small again if you have improved.....but just don't go wild!!! Save your chips for a better spot!

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How to recognize a set?
Those who know this secret will never share it :)
All you can do is be careful and think carefully about your decisions. Observing your opponents and their game, you can make certain assumptions, but there are simply no characteristic, typical signs that would indicate this or that combination.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
It is almost impossible to recognize a set, especially if we have an over pair and try to put pressure out of position to get endless stakes. There will be a chance to believe our opponent when he raises the ante a lot.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to recognize a set?
One way I recognize my opponent is holding a set is...

He limps out of position and calls my raise preflop.

I flop top pair top kicker and he bets into me.

If I only call he bets into me strongly again on the turn and river.

I used to call off in these situations - now I trust my instinct and fold.

Good luck !

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
:js4::jc4: :3s4::jh4::9d4:

this is a flopped set.
We recognize a set by hitting the 3rd card on the board that is the same card as the pair we are holding for our holecards (not to be confused with 'trips')

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really difficult to do that. If the pairs in your opponents range hit the board hard and you don't have those pairs in your range, then proceed cautiously.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you have an older pair and you have a good second card and your opponent bets even more at a dry bet than you raise, then I think you need to understand that he has two pairs, or a set of bets talks about a set so when a player raises the bet, think about setting it and be more careful playing against him

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it´s very easy on micros if they bet they usually have lol

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to recognize a set?
what is the question?
set detection or trips detection.

A set is absolutely hard to detect because villain has a pair and the board is not paired.
Trips is the other way, player holds one of the paired Cards on the board.
This can be detected and on a paired board pot control is topmost for hands like top pair top kicker or overpair.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, a set is, when you hold a pocket pair, and another card of the same value comes on the board. Like you have 9s9c, flop comes Js7h3h and turn is 9d. Now you have a turned set.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How to recognize a set?
You can only guess about it and make appropriate decisions based on your guesses, observations and intuition. There are simply no obvious signs, especially in an online game.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to recognize a set in Poker?!. By my opinion, if on flop your opponent did check, I think necessary to do a small bet,
and if he doing call on flop and continue do this further on turn, then very possibly he has caught a set, and wants to get more value on river with you...
But this is only my private opinion!

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Study hard at hand reading and this will help improve this skill.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
normally I can recognize a set only if I have a set-in hand. Remember that most times if you have a set someone else has one also. Then it is a matter as to who raises. That works for me about 80% of the times. good luck.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
normally I can recognize a set only if I have a set-in hand. Remember that most times if you have a set someone else has one also. Then it is a matter as to who raises. That works for me about 80% of the times. good luck.
What is this sorcery?

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I never see it coming when there is no pair on the board. Pair on the board
is easier to figure out.

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
If the players seem unusually active and keep raising or re raising you, I would be careful, especially if they are playing very aggressively in multiple streets. You should be able to fold premium hands such as top pair, top kicker in this scenario, even if you have an A or K.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There's not much you can do with a hand like this. After all, if not to call there, where do you intend to go with Poker?
When this happens, the best thing to do is forget it and move on, having the comfort of knowing you played right....