How to quickly get out of bad luck in poker

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Do not play for a week. The best way to break the bad luck is to leave the game for at least a week. At the same time, do not play not only for money, but also for chips, too. This week, it’s better to clear your brain of thoughts about poker in general - to go in for sports, pay attention to your loved one, and breathe in fresh air in nature. But if all this is beyond your power, then this week you can re-read the educational literature on poker, watch instructional videos and so on. But just do not play.

2. A week to play very tight. The next week after a full rest, starting to play, play very tightly. That is, enter as rarely as possible, play only good hands preflop, after the flop play exclusively by chance, try not to bluff, or, in extreme cases, apply semi-bluffs. After losing two buy-ins, leave the game until the next day. So you save your nerves and your money.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately the fact that you will play less poker does not end the black streak. Rest and switching from poker is certainly good, but it is for the psychological state, and it will not affect the jump in poker variance. It may turn out that you will continue to be in the black band on your return.

Poker is primarily a distance, and on a very large number of hands, the bad luck factor is minimized. I think first of all you need to accept the fact that you have a long black streak, of course, first analyze the game and make sure that these are not the results of your mistakes. You must accept the bad days in poker and continue to play the right game, regardless of the result, play accurately and bankroll, the most important thing is to control your psychological state. Play more tight and do not create too difficult situations with the game on the stack.

A black lane is like a destroyed section of road that you have to pass, even if slowly and hard, but only after passing through it.:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1nsomn1a covered most of it.

i've always found it silly when players suggest taking a break from poker because of bad luck/variance as if that's going to change anything. and the truth is, it doesn't. that's not saying taking a break isn't helpful because it is, especially if your mental game and decision making is affected by a downswing. bad decisions + bad variance = a bad time, but the break doesn't change variance.

lets take rolling a dice (die?) for example and say you're in a game you put up $1 to roll a 1-3. if you do, you get $2 back ($1 profit) and if you roll a 4-6, you lose a dollar. that's a pretty good deal as your ev is +.50 each roll. but lets say, in 100 rolls, you only roll a 1-3 10 time. that's pretty bad variance in a small sample size. so, what do you do? i guess you should take a break, right? because that's what is suggested when your luck is running badly.

well, when you return, does the odds of you not rolling a 4-6 decrease? do you now have better odds to roll a 1-3 because you took, say, a week off from playing? no, of course not. mentally, you might be thinking clearly and be more prepared to play for a longer stretch because you know it's going to be profitable once you get over the variance hump, but the break did nothing to change your equity to win in a 50/50 situation. the same goes for poker. if you lose in an 80/20 situation 10x in a row, taking a break doesn't change the numbers. you still lose 1/5 times in the long run. if anything, if you find yourself in this spot many times, then you want to play more because the odds are so much in your favor.

as for your second suggestion. you should play as optimally as you can in a given situation. saying to just play tight or not bluff or whatever isn't the approach to take because now you're playing too passively or too scared as a result of bad variance. that's not saying playing tight is wrong or you should play really loose, but play each situation as best as you can and don't let bad variance affect how you play.

at the same time, if you're making a lot of bad preflop decisions on top of having bad variance, then you should change your preflop game for the better.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking a break helps. The dice analogy doesnt really apply because decisions dont matter when you roll a die. But decisions matter on each street of holdem. The break helps to reset you mentally.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I agree with you. If you are on a bad streak, leave the game for a while enjoy something else clear your mind and get it in a better place. If you are on a really bad streak, I recomend much more then one week for the break.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
1. Do not play for a week. The best way to break the bad luck is to leave the game for at least a week. At the same time, do not play not only for money, but also for chips, too. This week, it’s better to clear your brain of thoughts about poker in general - to go in for sports, pay attention to your loved one, and breathe in fresh air in nature. But if all this is beyond your power, then this week you can re-read the educational literature on poker, watch instructional videos and so on. But just do not play.

2. A week to play very tight. The next week after a full rest, starting to play, play very tightly. That is, enter as rarely as possible, play only good hands preflop, after the flop play exclusively by chance, try not to bluff, or, in extreme cases, apply semi-bluffs. After losing two buy-ins, leave the game until the next day. So you save your nerves and your money.

Hi.
I agree. Your tips are really effective. A break is the best option to prevent pointless losses.
Good luck.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you. If you are on a bad streak, leave the game for a while enjoy something else clear your mind and get it in a better place. If you are on a really bad streak, I recomend much more then one week for the break.

maybe so, but it seems to me one week is enough for a break)))

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1nsomn1a covered most of it.

i've always found it silly when players suggest taking a break from poker because of bad luck/variance as if that's going to change anything. and the truth is, it doesn't. that's not saying taking a break isn't helpful because it is, especially if your mental game and decision making is affected by a downswing. bad decisions + bad variance = a bad time, but the break doesn't change variance.

lets take rolling a dice (die?) for example and say you're in a game you put up $1 to roll a 1-3. if you do, you get $2 back ($1 profit) and if you roll a 4-6, you lose a dollar. that's a pretty good deal as your ev is +.50 each roll. but lets say, in 100 rolls, you only roll a 1-3 10 time. that's pretty bad variance in a small sample size. so, what do you do? i guess you should take a break, right? because that's what is suggested when your luck is running badly.

well, when you return, does the odds of you not rolling a 4-6 decrease? do you now have better odds to roll a 1-3 because you took, say, a week off from playing? no, of course not. mentally, you might be thinking clearly and be more prepared to play for a longer stretch because you know it's going to be profitable once you get over the variance hump, but the break did nothing to change your equity to win in a 50/50 situation. the same goes for poker. if you lose in an 80/20 situation 10x in a row, taking a break doesn't change the numbers. you still lose 1/5 times in the long run. if anything, if you find yourself in this spot many times, then you want to play more because the odds are so much in your favor.

as for your second suggestion. you should play as optimally as you can in a given situation. saying to just play tight or not bluff or whatever isn't the approach to take because now you're playing too passively or too scared as a result of bad variance. that's not saying playing tight is wrong or you should play really loose, but play each situation as best as you can and don't let bad variance affect how you play.

at the same time, if you're making a lot of bad preflop decisions on top of having bad variance, then you should change your preflop game for the better.

I agree with you. So if you take a break in the game, that is, time to read literature or watch a good video on this topic.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I was trying to say , that if you are on a very bad and long loosng streak, a week is probably not enough to get out of the loosing mindset.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you feel like mentally you are playing like you are afraid of suckouts happening, it's time to quit or just play freerolls. Or move down stakes.

Luck is the biggest factor in poker. You can't control it.

What you can control is how you play and your mental state.

MAYBE your luck will improve but if you are not in the right state of mind and not thinking clearly, quitting is the only way.

Yesterday I got so frustrated at these awipes hitting their gutshots that I chased a doublegutshot str and called 2 big bets on tilt. I caught myself after that and quit.

My KK held up once today in a big pot and I am up for the day despite once again losing every coin flip and losing three pots on the river on draws.

online poker is rigged. So if you are profitable despite the rake and the rigged probabilities in favor of the underdog, give yourself a pat for job well done.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Your tips sounds sensible, but it will not cure variance or bad luck. What it may cure is the tilt that the bad luck can cause in most amateur players.

My advice is not to quit or have a break from poker, but review the hands that you played and be truly honest with yourself. Were you really unlucky, or did you make a bad play? Maybe before you were losing, you were playing the same way and getting lucky - you won't know until you start analysing your game.

Either way reviewing your hands and checking these spots will help improve your mindset. If you played it well, you can tell yourself that if you played it exactly the same way again and again, you will show a profit. Or, if you played it badly, you can adjust the way you play that situation in future and make a more profitable play.

Remember that no starting hand is invincible (I literally lost a hand 10 minutes ago with AA against villains T6o), what is important is that you regularly get yourself in spots that are profitable in the long run and play a lot. If you do that, short term variance will not bother you any more because you know that in the long run (provided your BR management is sound) you will be a winning player.

Good luck (and play good) at the tables.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your tips sounds sensible, but it will not cure variance or bad luck. What it may cure is the tilt that the bad luck can cause in most amateur players.

My advice is not to quit or have a break from poker, but review the hands that you played and be truly honest with yourself. Were you really unlucky, or did you make a bad play? Maybe before you were losing, you were playing the same way and getting lucky - you won't know until you start analysing your game.

Either way reviewing your hands and checking these spots will help improve your mindset. If you played it well, you can tell yourself that if you played it exactly the same way again and again, you will show a profit. Or, if you played it badly, you can adjust the way you play that situation in future and make a more profitable play.

Remember that no starting hand is invincible (I literally lost a hand 10 minutes ago with AA against villains T6o), what is important is that you regularly get yourself in spots that are profitable in the long run and play a lot. If you do that, short term variance will not bother you any more because you know that in the long run (provided your BR management is sound) you will be a winning player.

Good luck (and play good) at the tables.

Throwing poker is necessary precisely in order to analyze the hands you have played. Everything is correct.