How to play your opponents

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many of my followers did not understand my thread about how to play 7-2, that's way I want to clarify my Idea more and more.
It happened that one strong poker player won a tournament online without looking his cards all along the tournament, he was just playing position and playing his opponents. I know it looks strange for you, but this is true, he put a cover on his screen to hide his cards, and he play all the tournament like that!
So, my Idea is to not get nervous when you see your cards, you can win the tournament even if you got 7-2 every hand, using your poker skills and luck.
I didn't say that you have to play 7-2 all the time, but you have to find the right moment to bluff and to trick your opponents, regardless of your cards.

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for your advice, but better, I will be a patient player and wait for the good cards.
This is another way to play, but what you will do if good cards don't come?

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is great advice. I've used the same strategy myself to remove the influence of cards on my decisions. It's a logical fallacy to feel relieved when you sit with pocket aces. The converse applies to a 27o.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But why bluff with 7-2 if the next hand probably has more equity? Even professionals consider the equity of their bluffs (whenever I watch David Kitai's videos I hear him talking about this). There will be some circumstances in which the advantages of the pot or the passivity of your opponents make it convenient to play 7-2. Perhaps in a bubble with the big stack, or as they said in the other thread, on the button or in a small blind to steal. But I think you will agree that 99% of cases 7-2 is a hand that you are going to fold.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems if you never look at your cards, he would develop a playing pattern based on position, bets, etc. Good players pick up on that.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times the math is correct to steal with any two cards but in reality you cant take the term that literally.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is correct that opponents tendencies and position is often more important than cards.

BUT as stated in the thread already: the absolute bottom of your range must still be thrown away if you don't play against total idiots.

Pick the hands that is to bad to call with to bluff but not total garbage. Otherwise you get in far to many situations with the worst part of your range.

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is another way to play, but what you will do if good cards don't come?

Just open raise or re-raise a random hand or hands like K5 Suited and play the board :), i have tried it alot of times and trust me, works really well.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First rule to trying to play the opponents and not the cards, make sure that the opponent is competent enough to be bluffed. If they aren't, don't try to trick em or bluff em cause that will blow up in your face

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be careful when taking others advice. Perhaps the pros here in CC can give better insight than a member listed as Enthusiast.
Pros, Legends, even Rock Star tags have been more active here in CC and can maybe have a little better insight into a game you can learn in 1 day, but takes a lifetime to master.
Just my opinion though.
There are threads from several CC pros that are usually titled "Ask me anything" check those out.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's really a hand that I almost never play. when I want to play wider. I prefer to use my chips for example on hands like 23 or 46.

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does depend on how the table has been playing. If everyone is playing tight picking your spots to bluff is a good idea.

NOORI

NOORI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice for training and for some brain shifting in my opinion. You will need to be very aggressive on lower limits.