how to play in BB with AKo

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I received an AKo in BB and I was in doubt if it increased in this possibility, since I had the opportunity to just see the flop for free, in the doubt I decided to increase with 3x the BB. but finally the question is what is the best move for an Ako or AKs in the possession of BB when the round comes to you with only limpers, or when it comes with a raise? How would you play this hand? I leave here this question to be discussed.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise like you,but 5xbb and try to show that I have a monster hand.If the flop appears only low cards like:7 2 5 I c-bet 40% of the pot.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On microstakes You can easly shove in that kind of situation... A lot of donks will call You with every Ax :)

L

Larryeaton

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 times the pot will make em squrim and call with nothing!

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely need to raise, don't be afraid to shove in this situation either

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise big and try to take pot before flop

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what kind of discipline you play, if freerolls or small limits are koll, that would be free to see the flop. If this SNG is then 3BB, and on a dry board 75% of the bank.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They way to get the most out of a drawing hand (yes, AK is a drawing hand) is to play it in position, since you are in the BB you are OOP so try and take it PF for sure with a 5x PFR, in a tournament where you are getting down to 8-10BB or less, you have to shove for sure.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I received an AKo in BB and I was in doubt if it increased in this possibility, since I had the opportunity to just see the flop for free, in the doubt I decided to increase with 3x the BB. but finally the question is what is the best move for an Ako or AKs in the possession of BB when the round comes to you with only limpers, or when it comes with a raise? How would you play this hand? I leave here this question to be discussed.

AK is such a strong hand that you should almost never let other players to see the flop too cheap just by limping. I 3bet AK (off and suited) about 90% of the time and always raise when players just limp before me. Against limpers I use a simple method: 3bb + 1bb more per every limper. So, if there are two limpers before me, I raise 5bb. Three limpers, 6bb and so on.

After the flop my play depends on how many players are still in, what is the board texture and how did I improve my own hand. Against one or two players however I will cbet every single time no matter what. If I still get called, that's when I start to slow down and just fold if someone reraises me already on flop. I am pretty causious if someone calls after the flop, even when I have gotten a pair. Then I just try to keep the pot small by checking and calling. It's still good to remember that their hand wasn't originally too good if they just tried to limp. Although that doesn't of course mean that they can't have anything now. Just be careful if someone starts to show strenght and you have nothing better than a pair. Remember that in their eyes, you represented a strong hand first so they do have something good if they want to go against you.

Against more than two players, I usually just check if I didn't improve my hand and see what other players do. With draws, pair and anything better, I still keep raising because I want at least some of them out. The less players you are up against, the better chances you have. But here as well, I usually take things very causious on turn if I can't get everyone to fold. Monsters are obviously a whole other story and then I want everyone to stick around. Then I just usually check and try to provoke someone else to raise.

For me AK has always been hard to play though and it still is; I have struggled with it and lost many times with it because I have taken the bluff too far when I haven't gotten any help on the flop and when my opponents have kept calling. Luckily nowadays I have learned to let go on turn if I don't improve my hand and someone called on flop. The key is not to give up too easily yet not to get too carried away with it if nothing good comes up.

S

stamark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When there are only limps I like shoving having 25bbs or less.making a 3x raise I think it's not terryfying for them. Having a large stack and facing 3-4 limps it's better to raise at almost 5x in order to make some medium cards fold. when you have a raise it depends on the position of them. if it's utg or close to it I prefer just call.This guy may have really strong cards.if it's on cutoff or button I prefer 3betting

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really is going to depend on the limpers and how many there are. Generally there's no silver bullet for betting AK. You need this hand in most of your ranges. So its best to raise double the blinds, 3x, 5x and just call. If you're only raising this hand and you just call a later hand they can now eliminate AK from you range. In this situation though, with more then one limper, I'm raising pretty heavy just because I'm out of position once the flop comes and I'm hoping to isolate or just take down the pot right there. If I believe I'm much better then my opponents I probably raise 3x. If I only have one limper and I'm confident that I can outplay him on the flop turn or river I'll just call. These types of moves allow me to have strong hands in my calling range.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a headache for me in the blinds. having issues there too. But have been studying how to improve it. Nice thoughts here in the thread though. Very helpfull. Thanks guys!