How to play heads up?

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i'm very excited with all the opinions in this thread, please keep posting and mange: i'm going to try your style to see how it works, i'll tell you later.

GabriLoco

GabriLoco

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you have an ace as a hole card you will usually be in a dominant position pre flop. You should then raise/re-raise strong to see what the opponent's reaction will be
Even if you are not getting the best of cards you must always try to mix up your play to throw your opponent off your scent. Raise with 9-4 suited. Call with A-3 offsuit. This way your opponent cannot pick up a good betting pattern from you
Do not go over board going all-in. This is like leaving your hand up to fate.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No offense taken, dvd. But my strategy does work most of the time. And, yes, I do get cught with a bad hand from time to time. But you are looking at it in a one game situation, whereas I'm looking at it over the long run. If I do get caught and take second place, I'm still up; just not as much. But most of the time my opponents do not adjust correctly, or overadjust and start going all in every hand. In that situation, I'm just looking for for an ace/high kicker.

But I would not play this strategy if 1st got paid 100% and 2nd got 0%. I would have to adopt a tighter style.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well timed agression is the key to playing heads up. Over agressive play will get you burnt most of the time. However, you can not go into a hole and play only the top ten starting hands. Change up your style and try to keep your opponent off balance is the key.

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you hear a lot of people say mix it up. well i did in the past. I'm not like a superstar heads up but you can look it up on opr around end of july i went like 19-3 or something in 22 str8 heads up games. but, my key now is repetition...if i have a hand im going to play im raising the pot. same pot raise everytime. So if he limps im in bb with q10 of hearts..i pot raise. no matter the flop if he checks or im to act first i usually bet 2/3rds of the pot. The key here is never chasing him. You always want to be putting pressure on him. I even want him to win some hands from me in the beggining thinking i'm bluffing a lot. because when i get AA i make that same Pot raise and after i've done it so long i get no respect until he comes over the top. and were all in. Catching some cards dont hurt either. Good luck

blazed98

blazed98

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
that really good info for heads up it easier to understand. is there heads up book for tourneys and cash games

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won my first HU!!!!!! It was in a 0.10 sitngo and i won 0.48, It was not a big archievement because i had 7.000 chips and my rival 1.200, but all the same is my first sitngo win and i'm enjoing it. I still need to practice a lot more, but it is a start anyway.

A

arcbishop420

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one thing i noticed about heads up is u should bet with MEDIUM cards even if thay reraise u u need to call unles your opponet is also a very agressive player than u should take a breath b4 u go all in

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I won my first HU!!!!!! It was in a 0.10 sitngo and i won 0.48, It was not a big archievement because i had 7.000 chips and my rival 1.200, but all the same is my first sitngo win and i'm enjoing it. I still need to practice a lot more, but it is a start anyway.

Congrats on your win! Now, just keep up the good work and you will be doing this all the time.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you really need to change the way you play at this point, obviously you're good to make it there often but its not about survival and waiting anymore, you really have to pick up the aggression and expand the number of hands you're seeing...what wasn't a good hand with 9 players all the sudden becomes much better...suited connectors are much more viable than a pocket pair now

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on your win! Now, just keep up the good work and you will be doing this all the time.

Thanks, maybe i'm getting better or i'm just getting lucky because just yesterday i got 4 first places and 2 second places playing 6p sitngo on vc poker. I even won a HU in which i was almost running out of chips on the beginning.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, maybe i'm getting better or i'm just getting lucky because just yesterday i got 4 first places and 2 second places playing 6p sitngo on vc poker. I even won a HU in which i was almost running out of chips on the beginning.

Good Job! Sounds like that br boost has really helped.:D:D:D