How to play flush draw on flop?

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mainly play microstakes 6-max zoom. This scenario repeats all the time. What is the best way to approach a flush draw on the flop? I mean in position and out of position assuming 100BB effective stacks.

In position:
1.Nut flush draw?
2.Combo draw (flush draw +straight draw, flush draw + overcards)?
3.Pair + flush draw?

Out of position:

1.Nut flush draw?
2.Combo draw (flush draw +straight draw, flush draw + overcards)?
3.Pair + flush draw?

Any logical answer would be much appreciated.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely, It also depends on the situation in addition to the place.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many variables to consider like:

1) Preflop action
2) Number of players in the pot
3) Action before it gets to you
4) Board texture

In general there is a lot of merit to playing draws with aggression, but not if the opponent is more likely to raise than fold, or if you have significant showdown value. If you have a hand like AsKs on Kc9s3s then your flushdraw dont even matter that much, because you are likely to have the best hand already, and if you bet, its for value.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like others said, it depends on a lot of factors and Fundiver gives a nice breakdown. Factors making me more likely to bet:

Fold Equity. The key one -- how likely are my opponents to fold if I bet?

Showdown Value. The less showdown value your hand has, the more likely you should be to bet since that's the only way to win the pot.

Passive Opponents. Also important, the more passive your opponents the less likely you are to face a raise if you bet.

Combo Draw. Adding a straight draw should make you more inclined to bet your equity. (Adding in a low pair though should usually make you less inclined to bet because of the showdown value.)

Being Out of Position. This one definitely depends some, but I usually bet flush draws more OOP because when you have position you also have the option of checking back and taking the free card whereas from OOP if you check you can always face a bet from your opponent.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can never one hundred percent accurate to say gather Your flush draw or not, the question which should interest you, it is beneficial if You can pay for the next card and will pay your opponent a flush. And understand whether it is profitable to force your opponent to fold or call on your bets.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing these types of hands specially if I have nut draws. I bet as if I had middle or top pair just enough for them to wonder but not enough to make them fold, then I expect to hit on the turn so I can check so they can try to bluff. If I don't hit then I bet again to try to make them fold and its a 50/50, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, then the river comes and if I hit ill check and hope they try to bluff but if I don't hit ill fire more bullets to make them fold.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally, in the micros I would bet bigger for stronger draws to try and build the pot, maybe 2/3rds pot, and smaller for weaker draws, say 1/3.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A key note on playing flush draws is to make sure you are getting the correct odds, or implied odds to make the call. If not, you need to raise or fold as it is not profitable in the long run. Also, when you are playing these types of hands look at your opponents stack to make sure they have enough chips to pay you off when you hit.

Any flush that also has the open ended straight draw, I am looking to get my chips in the middle on the flop.

Full Flush Poker