How to play AK?

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm.. AK isn't the best hand what you could got. It's good but not the best. I don't really like 3-bet preflop with ak. Raise ok, but re-raise nty.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too many factors too consider,

but you should consider your opponents, your position, if you are in a mtt or in a cash ( i basically play at mtts so my view is based on that)

sometimes you can fold and not feel bad, sometimes shoving preflop, also have to consider stack sizes, the stage of the mtt,

i think the worst move is to limp or call because is not a good hand to be played multiway and therefore those kind of hands usually requires more than a TPTK to win the pot,

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not that great of a hand all-in preflop... Yesterday in the CardsChat BCP freeroll I made a big mistake of calling a 3-way all in with AK... I dropped from 2nd place all the way to about 9th or something out of 11th... The reason why AK is such a great hand is that when you hit you will typically win a lot of money, and when you miss you will lose less than you would with AA or KK

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its actually a tournament where you should be more careful about shoving AK if you are sitting in a very nice spot and don't need to do much to get into the money or improve your place. People shove/call all in with small/medium pairs all the time in tournaments. That very rarely happens in cash games.

If you have a healthy BR you should never be afraid to shove it in with AK. Only time you should proceed cautiously is when someone 3 bets you with a large sample of hands and a > 3 stat.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion its depend entirely on the situation.What kind of game are you playing and your stack condition.If you up against a bully in a tourney you can either 3bet or if you are feeling lucky maybe you could just shove it IMO.

Last edited:
L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often only call with AK, but at the other hand I also like to play all in with AK. Often I win the main pot, but not always. I wouldn't raise all in when it's late in tourney for example. But there exisists positions to raise all in preflop.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often only call with AK, but at the other hand I also like to play all in with AK. Often I win the main pot, but not always. I wouldn't raise all in when it's late in tourney for example. But there exisists positions to raise all in preflop.
You shouldn't be calling with your premiums in most spots because you're allowing other players to call along and see a cheap flop with suited connectors and pocket pairs hurting your hand's equity and giving you lots of cooler spots you wouldn't have to deal with if you had just raised.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't be calling with your premiums in most spots because you're allowing other players to call along and see a cheap flop with suited connectors and pocket pairs hurting your hand's equity and giving you lots of cooler spots you wouldn't have to deal with if you had just raised.

Its not often that AK is on the losing side of a cooler hand unless someone considers TPTK vs 2 pair to be a cooler.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet preflop and then need look to flop if flop is good for AK than need make nice bet