How to play against a TABLE of maniacs?

Z

zzhanzzhao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was in a live game last night with a table of maniacs.

Basically at first everyone will limp no matter what. if someone raises preflop everyone calls (I started raising to around 6-8xBB to no effect), and if there is a 3 bet at least 5 people (out of 9) will call or even 4 bet with hands like 45s or k9s. Even after a 4 bet or 5 bet there will still be at least 3-4 people in the pot (everyone had a deep stack, around 200-250BB), often with subpar hands like Ax or even k3o.

On the flop there is this one guy who will donk bet no matter what. Pretty sure his VPIP is like 90 last night and raised the flop 100% whether in position or out of position.

I lost a lot of money with hands like JJ, AQs, AKs because there were so many people in the pot even after 3-bet/4-bets.

What's the optimal strategy to play a table like this? Seems like there is a lot of potential money to be made, but don't think I'm doing it right since I keep seeing the flop with superior hands with 5 other people and miss (and of course they will donk bet later streets no matter what).

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two ways to go about this option 1 is join them limp in with 5 others for example lets say you have JJ hit your Jack on flop or Ak and hit AK4 on flop then bet big but you must have the discipline to fold if miss.
Or option 2 when you have JJ or AK jam everything all in preflop that should reduce the callers but if can wait for a premium hand AA KK preflop or flopped set would be better good luck.:)

M

mawoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fishing takes patience. If you keep playing only top starting hands eventually you will hit a big one. Obviously a little harder with a table of manias but when you do it is worth it. You weren't playing in West Virginia by the way?

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
simple. just wait for the correct hand and let them go all in and you just call and the hand is yours

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
what I do is, wait for a strong hand, and the hunt them.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to let them to make a mistake. Play premium hands and soon enough you will hit the jackpot.

K

KidKNG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually when I'm at a table of very aggressive people or people who do not give up on their weak hands, I play with much more caution, even taking AQ, AJ, KJ and other hands, I analyze my position at the table and see when some players are a little more afraid to go in every hand, because it is impossible for people to play 100% of the time that way, so when they start giving up their hands, that's when I start playing more actively, but always analyzing my position on the table and my stack.

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like my local bar poker league. Fun game, but man they are all maniacs. Its tough but I make a lot of final tables and still take down a tournament every week or so.

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to approach this kind of game with extreme caution and patience. When you get a strong hand, you must play aggressively/strong. Sometimes even that approach isn't enough with so many maniacs at the table.

Another option: walk away. If you aren't able to beat the game and are just bleeding money, walk away, lick your wounds, mourn your bankroll loss and come back to fight another day.

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never quit, but looking at each hand as jam or fold, helps my mindset and keeps cold calling fish from entering the pot if they think you might jam behind them. It would take a few orbits to establish, but it certainly works for me.

S

Scott Rzonos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
patience

patience, patience, patience, and then hope your hand holds up.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to think the right time to act.These maniacs players will lose and you have to take advantage of this but the question is when?
The answer must come from inside you.

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a table of free money. The 4-6 BB is still not enough of a big bet in my opinion. If I were you I would bet half my stack with premium hands and 1/3 in position every single time! Unless one of these limpers cooler'd you which seems it may have happened you have to abuse the button and late position. Don't make flop cheap... If they still call-- oh well. Jam if no paint, or move tables. Ideally you should have a decent bankroll to deal with the 2 outers that may arrive from a maniac table such as these.

N

nmate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd probably play tight and trap with made hands.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, everything is just they have very large stacks and they just play, that is, are in the rush, I'm in such cases waiting for nuts and push preflop and get my chips

Jane Franklin

Jane Franklin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I advise becoming a grey mouse
and limp more - you will lose some money with limp and later
bit you will win with premium hands and you will be a grey mouse still
you will be the shadow

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That sounds like every cash game with play money in pokerstars.

It can be really hard even for a premium pair like aces to make you money when there are 3 or more people in the pot.

You have to adapt to your opponents play. Premium hands most of the time will lose you money, cause when you bet big on flop they will fold, and if they call you, most of the times one pair is not good. If you still want to keep playing premium hands, find the sweet betting size that they will fold K9 suited or at least charge those dumbs that want to continue with such a hand.

Second option is start playing good marginal hands yourself like suited connectors and take them to value town when you hit a straight or a flush.

In general terms, when playing against calling stations, in my experience, its never a good idea to value bet with just top pair top kicker because of the many times they will suck out on you with two pairs or better. But when you have a set on a dry board, a straight, a flush, a boat just take their wallets.

D

dubois45

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the start of a tournament I usually will sit back and let the donks kill each other off. Like the others said, wait for your spots and premium hands. And as always patience, patience, patience.

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are there just waiting for you to set a trap for them. It'll happen.

MikeDTT

MikeDTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maniacs=losers just wait for the right moment and call them

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I have been there, like others. My strategy has worked fairly well, but not great. I play it tight, but aggressively. When I get a top hand, say AA, KK, AKs they are in for a treat... and hopefully myself. It sure feels good when two or more go all in and I am sitting on a pair of aces. ITM!

Cheers!

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had to be in games like the one you mention, the best thing is to always play for value, I try to increase the pot when you really have value, try to play with hand position with good postflop playability. Avoiding getting into difficult spots with hands that will very often be dominated when they connect Ax or Kx as examples. I hope my advice will serve you, greetings.