How to play against a flush draw (post-flop)?

H

HumpusDumpus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played my good hands in different kind of ways.

- 50% of the pot so they will call and I' ll win some or lose some dependent on the turn and the river.

- Very aggressive, betting more than 100% of the pot, and win or lose a lot.

But I noticed that either way, sometimes people are calling everything you bet, just hoping to end up winning.

So my question as a beginner is, how you play post-flop against a flush draw? And maybe i can use some tips/insights?

Thank you!

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We could use a little more to go on...at least specify whether you're playing tournament or cash games.

As with everything else in poker, the cards are only part of the equation. Position, stack sizes, stakes, player tendencies, etc. all must factor in. You say that you're playing against people that call everything - if that truly is the case, then there is no point over-betting the pot. That also tells me the games are low-stakes or free-rolls.

Flushes are hard to make, so you don't have to panic every time there are two suited cards on the flop. One approach is to check the flop if there are 2 suited cards and you think your opponent is on a flush draw. He's likely to call most bets anyway, so you can save a few chips and reassess after the turn. If the turn does not complete the flush draw, then you can make a pot-sized bet. That is sufficient to make it wrong for him to call if he's only on a flush draw.

Over-betting the pot often screams to your opponent that you have nothing and you are merely trying to buy the pot. If that is the read you opponent gets on you, he's more likely to call on a draw because of the implied odds he's getting.

H

HumpusDumpus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much!

Yeah, I should have been more precise. But there are so many circumstances like you said (position, stack size, ...). I do like the approach you offer. You are right that he is probably calling anyway to see the turn, so I am going to think about that approach when playing, thank you.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet 3bb on turn and river if he doesnt hit the flush,so if he would make his flush you wont lose too much.But it depends,stacks size,tournament or cash?

psyho26

psyho26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3/4 continuation bet at the flop..
protect yourself and don't let him cheap to buy flash

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well , try to play if he hit a flush draw on the flop , and you have top pair , and you're make a bet , and hes going all in ;) and you're call him this will be a coinflip it depends of the turn , and the river its looks like 51% vs 49%.
Another situation , if you hit the top pair , and he have a flush draw , you can check the flop , and if he is bet you can call , to see the turn , and if the turn isn't a flush on the deck , and if he continue his aggressivity , and make another bet ;) on this situation you have two options you can play with a big check re-raise or just to call to see the river.
Another situation , if you have a top pair , and there is a flush draw on the flop , and you're make a 3BB bet , and your opponet is call , and the turn is a a flush card , and you can check , and your opponent make a bet , and you're call you didn't believe him , and the river isn't a flush card , and he is making a big raise , and you're thinking if he really hits a flush , anyway is depends how he played , and I think you should fold on this situation.
And they can bluf with a draw deck , dont you think about this , if you're a new player , try to play tight , and try to hit a nice combinations , and time by time with a lot of practice you will learn a lot of situation , and then you will be able to play , even a losse to try to call a bluf or to make a big bluf.
Thanks.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be betting just as you have to control the pot. Which avenue you take is really dependent on your stack and the point of the game (if a tournament). Personally, I'm making pot size bets to make you pay for your draw. If you get there, good for you, but most of the time you won't .

Always keep in mind that just because someone is drawing doesn't mean they have nothing. They could also have a pair, two over cards or a straight draw that could be a winner if they miss the flush. You should have a good hand if you are trying to push someone off a flush draw.

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flushes are hard to make, so you don't have to panic every time there are two suited cards on the flop.
Unless you are against me, in that case they seem rather simple.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don’t overcomplicate it. If you have the best hand, you just bet it. If they like to call large, bet large, you want them to call. And yes you lose sometimes, more often than that you win, and that is enough to make profit.

What is more important is not to pay when they hit.

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok in all seriousness to my above post, just had my set of K cracked to a runner runner flush when I made post, in response to the OP.

There are times to make the pot big, and there are times to keep the pot small.

Micro stakes you will find if people or machine are holding a group 1 or 2 hand they will call and/or bet till the last card no matter the flop. Problem being often they hit turn and river so you have to be careful.

Over betting on the flop IMHO is a mistake, its a recipe to winning small pots and losing large ones. Wait till all cards have dropped, access your position, and proceed with caution.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
strong bets. you hould make catching for your op dros bad investment
! just be mindfull shoving every hands is not a good strategy

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting enough, just played the show me on 888. I could of won that thing today if it were not for the miracle flushes that kept killing me. Went into the hand histories after I was knocked out by yet another miracle flush.

I rely to much on stats I think.

I played 80 hands.

I had QQ three times, KK once, 10 10 three times. Won 2 of those H2H.

1 guy flopped the same straight 4 times. Holding J-10, flop 7-8-9. Each time it had either completed a set for someone, or two pair for someone.

Out of 80 hands, a flush won 20 of them.

Obviously the strategy needs changed to play in something like that.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting enough, just played the show me on 888. I could of won that thing today if it were not for the miracle flushes that kept killing me. Went into the hand histories after I was knocked out by yet another miracle flush.

I rely to much on stats I think.

I played 80 hands.

I had QQ three times, KK once, 10 10 three times. Won 2 of those H2H.

1 guy flopped the same straight 4 times. Holding J-10, flop 7-8-9. Each time it had either completed a set for someone, or two pair for someone.

Out of 80 hands, a flush won 20 of them.

Obviously the strategy needs changed to play in something like that.

Wow, I played in the Micro Monday $1000.00 .50 cent buy in yesterday, finished 10th and didn't play 80 hands. That thing lasted hours. Consider playing less hands and betting more to narrow the range of the villains.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, better very aggressive, add fold equty + our equty = more percentages

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Every opponent , stack , level/blind/situation is played kinda differently , but generally I have started playing aggressively on the tournaments and freerolls the draws when I have good hand and in position , sometimes oop hu , 1/2pot on the flop , >1/2-3/4 on the turn so he cannot bluff me first or so he calls with wrong odds or make them fold . If he gets it on the river , well , lucky him , it won't happen always . It depends on the strength of my hand , the textyre of the flop and how many Vs I have , and of course the position . In cash games it's the same , but more carefully , they tend at 2nl zoom to call more to see the river flush , even stacks sometimes .

Last edited:
Full Flush Poker