Is it go all in or slow playing?

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're talking about tournaments, it depends on where you are in the tourney.

At the beginning, don't go 'all-in'. I've found that the beginnings of tournaments, especially at the lower level are 'all-in' fests, and you could put yourself out very early, because someone will get lucky.

As the tournament continues, you need to take notes of the other players, and their style of play.

Are you in against someone who plays many hands, or few hands; never folds, frequently folds; continually raises, or continually calls.

You have to make a judgement, just not on the cards you have, but on the habits of your opponents.

So, as the tournament goes on....watch, and act carefully.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually it is neither of those two approaches--just make a decent size raise

S

Stevoodoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Aces

I tend to go all in with AA slow play usually loses to either 3 of kind to someone also calling with a pair and hitting their nominated. or 2 pair usually high cards but go with your gut.
Never 2nd guess yourself.

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is someone continually raising and I get a great set like that, I'll check and let them step into the trap.
All too often, I get AA make a raise and everyone folds.
So, it depends too on what style of player you are, and what appearance you have been giving off.
Lotsa factors.

I've even folded aces before in a tourney ...as everyone is going all in and I'm one click away from a higher tiered prize. It was the right move in THAT situation.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
What's the best way to play Aces?

Why not do both then?
Start by slow playing and when everyone is bored to death strike with all-in ...

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like how you play any other decent pair. There's nothing special to it

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Different circumstances require different actions. how far are you in a tournament and how are the other players playing at the table. what place do you have at the table, stack size. You can play the same pair differently, and because you can't predict how a hand will run, you can't actually say in advance how to play a hand. But playing slowly would give the opponent more time to assemble something and most of the time they can do it. And then you find yourself on the river instead of at the very front at the very back because AA is the strongest hand preflop but in the end it is only 1 pair against set street or flush or simply 2 pair loses

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the best way to play Aces?

Situation is everything and it seems as it almost every guideline in poker has its exceptions. With this said, AA is a premium hand preflop (best possible hand at that point) and you should usually do best with standard open-raising and value betting/re-raising when appropriate; sometimes this will mean All-In and other times it won't.

Slowplaying (sometimes called "trapping") is a risky strategy which shouldn't be the default (although some micro stakes players seem to ONLY slowplay Aces). One time when slowplaying makes some sense is when you are facing an aggressive (often times megalomaniac playstyle playing a wide range of hands preflop) playstyle and know that they will be doing the betting for you. In this case, they are likely to interpret your checking as weakness (but it isn't, you have Aces!) and they will bet for you and you simply call consistently with an options re-raise by you on the River for extra value.

If the opponent isn't likely to keep aggressively betting when they don't have much (why slowplaying isn't the default against every playstyle), then you are typically best value betting and building the pot yourself.

At a higher level (doesn't necessarily need to be the pro/high stakes level of poker, but at least higher than freerolls and the smallest of microstakes), it becomes less and less profitable to slowplay 100% of the time, but being capable of trapping occasionally is a dangerous threat for opponents to face.

4MileKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces

Good question. I've tried both sides. I think it's best to make above average bet to drag a small other push a large one like the pros say

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's difficult to say unless you are in a live situation. All in usually gives you a smaller pot and normal bets allow other platers in. You pays yer money and takes yer chances

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whoever limps aces should be punished)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything depends on the situation on the places.
It's not a special card.

aguwind

aguwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the only one can't give you answer. Because I haven't win one time with AA

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on which stage of tournament is. Personally if it's early stage of tournament i usually play all in preflop. If it's later stage of tournament i play different strategy depends on many variables.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
With aces, I prefer an aggressive game. In my own experience, I was convinced that it is necessary to play aggressively with such cards. In my opinion, only aggressive play can minimize risks.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Any hand, any street, we have to use ranges to choose our decisions.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play aces very simply! In the beginning I try to avoid multipot by doing 3 betas and 4 betas! And left alone, I play bet bet bet, but if I don't strengthen, then I will fold against a raise from a tight player!