How to play AA from UTG?

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always shove this hand from this position. Is this correct move at MTTs?

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well maybe sometimes it's right move to do. But for me my play depends of many factors. Stage of tournament(is it early , middle, late..), opponents, size of your stack...We all love AA no matter what. Most of time i would bet 3bb, or all in(if i am short stacked, or tournament is in the money..)
Cheers!

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases I would love to be called all-in with AA, but if you go all-in there is a chance of all players folding so mostly I would bet the same amount that you bet normally pre-flop 2,5-3bb. If you get raised I would shove pre-flop. But it all depends on situation, if you're shortstacked it's better to get it all-in. It also depends on the players, are they loose or tight, aggressive or passive.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In most cases I would love to be called all-in with AA, but if you go all-in there is a chance of all players folding so mostly I would bet the same amount that you bet normally pre-flop 2,5-3bb. If you get raised I would shove pre-flop. But it all depends on situation, if you're shortstacked it's better to get it all-in. It also depends on the players, are they loose or tight, aggressive or passive.

Yes, I made a pot value raise and wait for other actions. In some cases, this pot raise make all the players fold.

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally depends on who you are playing with. Ya dont want to shove if no one is going to call then you wasted the aces. You dont want to limp with a bunch of people who like to see flops because you are likely behind to multiple draws at that point. I usually stick a 2.5x in there hoping for a raise or a jam. Sometimes 3x or 4x from worst position looks to strong if you are an otherwise tight player.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im raising 4bb and if someone raise me i go all in,thats the way i play them,i cant say this is the most correct move to shove it,because for me it depends on stage of the tournament,if you are in the money i think is the best move,you still get some money if your aces fail.

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usual masked bet 2-3 bb. Re-raise if someone 3-bets. Else you frighten away AK, AQ, pairs and other hands, that can pay more postflop.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise on early stage tourney 3.5 - 4 bb
middle and late 2.5 - 3bb, on re-raise -> 4bet
profit.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre-flop usually go 4 BB, although it depends on where I was part of the game if you're in the money 3BB, in a bubble phase I'm going all in.

ahil5000

ahil5000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Just like all the other hands, open raise 2.2-2.5 bb , if the stack is more than 15 BB, if it is less easy to push

L

layerlord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried play all time ABC beting 2,5 to 3bb if i had only 17bb or belowe going all-in

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes yes if you have aggressive players on table.
But i think is better to raise 3-4 bbs

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, a great influence is a tournament which I stack with whom I play, whether the prize is near. If I have a short stack then Allin. If a large 3BB raise. Sometimes after the flop, but very rarely, I had to drop the AA. But it is only in those cases when the opponent is clearly a combination of the above.

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving Aces pre is not a bad move but at the same time wouldnt get called lot of times unless someone has another premium pair
another thing is players at your table matters too
if table is full of loose players and aggressors
we might get a call despite stage of tourney
but if table is TAGs then shoving pre is not much of a great idea . so we can open 2.5 - 3x and play
also it is very important to evaluate board for sure if got called by good player

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
juste dont let to many players in a hand,try some four bet,or bigger raise....

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Im raising 4bb and if someone raise me i go all in,thats the way i play them,i cant say this is the most correct move to shove it,because for me it depends on stage of the tournament,if you are in the money i think is the best move,you still get some money if your aces fail.

Me too . Later on a tournament it's easier to play them as the blinds are higher , the limpers are fewer , the bets you make are respected more , so a 4bb is good , maybe 3bb , it depends on the villains on the table , on my image on the table . The matter is what you do at the beggining , when the tournament starts . Then is the problem . I guess you can play with the minimum 3bb/4bb*** , as you have foretold , and wait for the reraise/3bet preflop and raise/4bet , all in. But if you don't get 3bet , then ?? You see the flop , let's say , with 3 others . Again it depends on the flop , the villain , and how much he bets . But if he overbets when we are hu or , easier , with 2 others stillm on the pot , , showing much interest , he ,or easier one more , too much looking for a showdown with all our stacks in the pot , well I would fold . Ok , there are many alternatives , if the flop is wet or not , etc , but the main idea is I don't play stack with AA postflop early on tour (except if I have biggest hand than one pair/overpair) . Now things in reality are more complex , and also I must admit , if I see many loose players , I just shove , sometimes they call most of the these times you get a good reward:icon_bigs

***sometimes I bet more , rarily , ok then they get the picture , that I must have AA or KK , most of the case they don't call , I don't give a **** , but sometimes sb call and play for stack or just has paid me 7-8 blinds , whatever .:)

Last edited:
Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to say what to do with AA utg. Every situation is different, so the age old advice, "it depends" applies.. Lol BUT, if you raising say 2.5-3BB with AK or whatever. Raise the same amount with AA, if you vary your opening raise according to hand strength, then that can be a betting tell and an observant player will pick up on it. Hope that helped..Tal

whewhew

whewhew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If at your table players with VPIP play about 50% that the best just will be it to deliver everything, but if there are no such aggressive, then anyway it is impossible to limp, and in the rest use the image.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If youre on freeroll GOOD LUCK>>LOL

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a super agro player behind you, limp, and HOPE!!! :0 If not, 4X should show enough strength, UTG.

R

RoadWarriorKR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt move in with aces UTG, most likely you would not get called. A standard raise of 3 BB or even a smooth call would be the right moves. If the table is reallly playing fast and loose, I'm just calling hoping to get raised. Then i'll shove.