How to play A-Q

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
by my opinion this is one of the most difficult hand to play, ofcourse it's a strong hand but if raise and reraise happened, you need to fold it. also you can not reraise against the raises because you could be dominated by A-K for exemple.
So if you are not in position, you are forced to limp it and wait the flop, ofcourse you may miss the flop and to be forced to fold it. The only good case for you is if you get Q as a top pair, but this can happen 1 out of 10 times.
If your A-Q are suited, this is realy a very strong hand befor the flop, and you have to play it very agressively, even out of position.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, it is better to play aggressively with such a hand, but you need to consider the position at the table.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, it is better to play aggressively with such a hand, but you need to consider the position at the table.

Position is a key to chose strategy.
But when you play online poker, you can observe that many players are just waiting and calling to the end with stronger hand, like AA or KK.
Even when they have flush or straight on the flop, they still only calling and waiting for your raise with one pair.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
by my opinion this is one of the most difficult hand to play, ofcourse it's a strong hand but if raise and reraise happened, you need to fold it. also you can not reraise against the raises because you could be dominated by A-K for exemple.
So if you are not in position, you are forced to limp it and wait the flop, ofcourse you may miss the flop and to be forced to fold it. The only good case for you is if you get Q as a top pair, but this can happen 1 out of 10 times.
If your A-Q are suited, this is realy a very strong hand befor the flop, and you have to play it very agressively, even out of position.
You should never limp AQ from early position. Raise like you would with any strong holding and fold if you encounter a 3bet from a tight player. You shouldn't fold this hand against someone who 3bets loosely. Take a flop and go from there.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Your game should always depend on your position, but obviously with that hand you have to play aggressively regardless of your position.

F

FlopGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Depend on the preflop action. If you hit a Q basically you only lose to four type of hands - AA, KK, QQ and AK. The chances they have AA and KK is obvious preflop. IF your oppoent dont choose to slow play.

In my opinion you can win big with A Q flush, straight, and win small pot with 1 pair or two pair.

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in all in no need to go !!! on cash tables !!!! this hand is only 3-4 bb ...:cool:

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't give an exact recommendation of how to play this hand, but this is clearly the hand that is not exhibited for broke if I don't hit with this hand the flop I never bet, but if I have TPTK is usually the nuts, especially if the board is dry.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the decision is easy to make with AQ preflop. it's good on a 3 bet. on the other hand if the flop is not favorable and I can not manage the pot because my opponent is too expensive. I do not hesitate to fold this hand.

Gloria_Legenda

Gloria_Legenda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-4bb and go push =D

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This pair rarely wins against me.Just like a couple of aces.Especially before the flop.In the end, wins the flush or higher combination.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a tricky hand to play in tournament and it get more difficult when facing 3 bets and 4 bets where it usually begins to decrease in value. It would be nice to be able to quantify this.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I would like to be carefull playing AQ , especially of suit , not to go all in preflop , but too many times unfortunatelly I can't stop calling or shoving in no good spots . I find myself vs pocket pairs , calling for most of my stack shoves ... I will study a lot more this hand , suited or not :)

O

obli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play A-Q moderately aggressively before the flop and postflop carefully, and of course you need to understand that the AQ suits are much more valuable than the non-suits, the rest depends on the table and opponents.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Position is a key to chose strategy.
But when you play online poker, you can observe that many players are just waiting and calling to the end with stronger hand, like AA or KK.
Even when they have flush or straight on the flop, they still only calling and waiting for your raise with one pair.
Yep, position, environment, stack and so on.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, position, environment, stack and so on.

No doubt - that being said AQ is a premium holding and should be played as such. Each player has their own style / strategy for the game but a premium hand is always a premium hand. I like to play AQ aggressively, the same as I would AK, JJ+, etc. I like to call certain player 3bets out of position with this hand and I like to 3bet with it alot as well. When the flop comes, then I can navigate post play

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always raise with it. 2bb early, 3bb late. The hand will then dictate how you play it from there on out.