How to overcome the fear of raising the limit?

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I have been playing poker for many years! I used to play with my own money and lost a lot, now I play mainly on freerolls, now I would like to increase the limit when I collect a normal bankroll! But I have fear! fear that I will lose my entire bankroll when I raise the limit! I understand how to play and what to do, but the fear does not let go! How to overcome it? And do you have that fear?

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The fear is playing on scared money.
If you have the right amount to back yourself, there would be no reason to be scared.

One should not be going to a higher limit of play because they lost some bankroll. You should go to a higher limit when you increase your bankroll. For example, if you have $100 bankroll play 1c/2c cash games. If you get your bankroll to $200, play 2c/5c cash games.

If I was at 2c/5c cash game and my bankroll fell from $200 to $100, it would not be a smart idea to play a 5c/10c table.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Hello! I have been playing poker for many years! I used to play with my own money and lost a lot, now I play mainly on freerolls, now I would like to increase the limit when I collect a normal bankroll! But I have fear! fear that I will lose my entire bankroll when I raise the limit! I understand how to play and what to do, but the fear does not let go! How to overcome it? And do you have that fear?

you will overcome it, if you have the confidence in your skill

lack of skill means lack of confidence

lack of bankroll = fear also

if you feel fear just stick to freeroll until you don't feel scared anymore

start with $1 one day one game at a time then move on from there

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If you are consistently profitable, you need to have access to a bankroll to move up to higher limits. I think in MTT it will be around 70-100 buy-ins. Then you can control the situation, if you also play at the limits, you can try to rise higher after a while, but if the pot sags, then you should lower the limits and learn a little, preferably from competent people, can give you good advice when playing at higher limits.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

What would you describe as a "normal" bankroll? What games are you playing other than freerolls?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To overcome the fear of going up in limits, you need to have a game plan that will give you confidence that every decision you make will be sound.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loss anxiety is a big part of the game yes I too have that fear as 100 buy in downswings or more do happen sometimes to many players, Just play freerolls relentlessly regardless of the size of your roll and mix in some $1 games until you have a $200 roll.
Over $200 take some $2 buy in shots when you got over $500 on your roll play some $5 games drop down in limits if bankroll goes under 100 times the buy in this will help you overcome your anxiety and hopefully avoid losing a lot of money if you decide to build a bankroll from freerolls and not deposit too good luck.

Last edited:
PokerQueenPS

PokerQueenPS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could you advise me what is the best way to play with a regular $20 bankroll? Cash, spins, or tournaments ?

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Could you advise me what is the best way to play with a regular $20 bankroll? Cash, spins, or tournaments ?
If you are a beginner then your best bet is to start in S&G tournaments. You will understand the basics of poker there and not lose a lot of money.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's harder than it sounds,but,you have to have "NO Concept of money",,, play like you are playing with rocks,,,, only then can you win at the Big stakes. :deal:

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not comfortable playing at a stake, don't play cuz you will lose for sure over the long run. Go down to where you are comfortable.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Only play with money you can afford to use & practice strict bankroll management. Doing these 2 steps gives you the opportunity to focus on how you are playing instead of the results. As you are playing a game that requires you to make decisions with incomplete information & you have no control of the cards dealt, focusing on results instead your decisions & how & why you make them almost guarantees failure.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

All of those variants of poker require different skill sets. The first thing to do is to get skilled at one of them and then think in terms of bankroll.

CC has a lot of MTT freerolls winning just 1 would double your bankroll from 20-40.

You may consider just playing in these freerolls until you have a $100 bank roll and then decide to grind that in any of the 3 variants.

Hope this helps
:):):)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When raising the limit, there should always be a lower bar, crossing which you return to the limit at which you played before !!!

PokerQueenPS

PokerQueenPS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting

All of those variants of poker require different skill sets. The first thing to do is to get skilled at one of them and then think in terms of bankroll.

CC has a lot of MTT freerolls winning just 1 would double your bankroll from 20-40.

You may consider just playing in these freerolls until you have a $100 bank roll and then decide to grind that in any of the 3 variants.

Hope this helps
:):):)

Thanks for the advice. I think this is a great tactic.

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because you have to play by your own rules make rules for yourself and play that way in any situation, don't play by the rules of other players they put you are afraid it's their rules create your own figure out how you should act in different situations and follow your own rules so that instead of to be afraid you understand that you are doing everything thoughtfully and reasonably

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that some fear is normal and quite necessary. Without fear giving you hesitation you would be doing reckless things and making bad decisions.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's important to feel confident in your skills to be able to expect to make a profit when you play. Otherwise you will feel this fear naturally because you're risking your money.

Study is essential, and this is a great place to start http://gripsed.com/win

Also respecting bankroll management and having rules that prevent you from jumping limits, chasing losses and risking blowing up your bankroll.

Having a side source of income to supplement helps to ensure that you can always cover your losses, but the more important thing is having bankroll rules to protect yourself and a skillset that will lead you to actually have a positive expectation of making profit when you play.

If you need more help feel free to join my website (It's free) and enjoy all the material there.

Cheers!

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first think about whether you need it? I also thought at the beginning how to get rid of it, but then I realized that it’s useful somewhere because I don’t bet stupidly with bad cards or don’t do stupid things in these situations, you can’t overcome fear, but just bet 1bb or 2bb if there is a raise and look at the flop, I think so more chances to win

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You gotta play stakes you're comfortablw with. I am building from a baby bankroll(4$) now up to 336$ . If we talk about pokerstars I started with 0.25 spin n gos, there's really nothing cheaper than that and players are very easy, mostly just people having fun and pushing all in every hand. It helped me to build from 4$ to 25$. After that I 've played NL2, still wasnt comfortable to play but the "cashout" option helped me back then. Sure I dont use it anymore but when I had 25$ in my bankroll I didn't want to gamble and used it all the time. After I got up to 50-100 it was very comfortable. Good luck!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's another video on specifically when to move up limits as well

Just know there need not be a rush to move up limits, the important thing is to move up when it makes sense to and you have the confidence that you can succeed at the higher levels

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's always good to play at stakes you are comfortable and withing our Bankroll. Once you feel comfortable with your game, try playing higher stakes.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your bankroll should be large enough that an increase in limit you will be properly rolled for. If it isn't a big enough roll, then you are 'properly scared' since you have a greater risk of ruin (losing your entire roll) - even if you have a a sufficient skill edge in the game to be a winner at those stakes.