How to get to the next level in poker?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing at the micro stakes, overall im a winning player, im cash games i am down because i get it all in with a hand thats dominanting and i get outdrawn almost every single time, even when im a 95% fave to win the hand, i lose. So i have little patience for cash, its always the same when i try it.
However sit and goes i dont get so unlucky at and thats where i have made my profit, every now and then i have a go on a higher stake and do alright, but felt i was perhaps lucky that time.
So my question is how can i consistently win at low level sngs and tourneys or should i pretty much be ready to go as im beating micro stakes sng?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would recommend to keep doing what is working for you and challenge higher buy ins once you are properly rolled to do so.

Consistency is a tricky concept. You have to find the right balance of risk with return.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it sounds like whatever you're doing is working so maybe try a game or two in low sng. Find the way it's similar and different from micro sng and if your strat holds up.
Good to hear that your consistent with your earnings which is a huge positive. Good luck at the tables!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Research

Im playing at the micro stakes, overall im a winning player, im cash games i am down because i get it all in with a hand thats dominanting and i get outdrawn almost every single time, even when im a 95% fave to win the hand, i lose. So i have little patience for cash, its always the same when i try it.
However sit and goes i dont get so unlucky at and thats where i have made my profit, every now and then i have a go on a higher stake and do alright, but felt i was perhaps lucky that time.
So my question is how can i consistently win at low level sngs and tourneys or should i pretty much be ready to go as im beating micro stakes sng?

We all have this issue when and how to move up in stakes. There are many threads here on cardschat about it and many different articles online.

Here is an article you may find beneficial.
https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/playing-bigger-some-guidelines-when-moving-up-in-limits-27049.htm

I hope this helps:)

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess it's tim to push yourself out that comfort zone and bankroll at higher stakes, set some targets and if it doesn't work out move back down till you feel your back on your game. for me personally it's what your happy losing per game if things or form turn against you. some serious money to burn. keep us informed how you go.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Action by action ask yourself what is the least volatile most conservative thing to do and do that.

T

TanaT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In small bets, such as freerolls, everyone wants to see the river. On high need discipline and concentration. Patience to bear fruit. I can not say about myself.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to be a wet blanket here and say you probably need to improve you cash game. I understand your perception is that you lose in cash games due to bad luck, but it's more likely that you're playing cash games like a tournament.

Turbo SNGs can reward some well timed, risky plays because the goal is to collect every last chip and on a compressed and definitive timeline as well. In the end you need to be willing to put it all on the line. But in a cash game you can play for 3 straight days and never put it all in. It's a different mindset.

For example:
A 3bet all in with something like ,top pair, good kicker, may be the correct play in a tournament, but is rarely correct in a cash game.

Of course I may be wrong about you. It's just that I've seen many turbo players punt their cash at the ring games because they're always looking for opportunities to get it in and double up. They don't realize how much EV they're giving away and tend to remember the tough beats.

Maybe some of those shoves you got drawn out on could have been mitigated by seeing another street before committing. It's always going to be a 5 card board, no matter how big your edge on the flop.

You'll hear tournament players pat themselves on the back because they 'got it in good'. At a cash game, getting it in good isn't nearly as important. In fact, the shovers are often targeted in post flop play.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to be a wet blanket here and say you probably need to improve you cash game. I understand your perception is that you lose in cash games due to bad luck, but it's more likely that you're playing cash games like a tournament.

Turbo SNGs can reward some well timed, risky plays because the goal is to collect every last chip and on a compressed and definitive timeline as well. In the end you need to be willing to put it all on the line. But in a cash game you can play for 3 straight days and never put it all in. It's a different mindset.

For example:
A 3bet all in with something like ,top pair, good kicker, may be the correct play in a tournament, but is rarely correct in a cash game.

Of course I may be wrong about you. It's just that I've seen many turbo players punt their cash at the ring games because they're always looking for opportunities to get it in and double up. They don't realize how much EV they're giving away and tend to remember the tough beats.

Maybe some of those shoves you got drawn out on could have been mitigated by seeing another street before committing. It's always going to be a 5 card board, no matter how big your edge on the flop.

You'll hear tournament players pat themselves on the back because they 'got it in good'. At a cash game, getting it in good isn't nearly as important. In fact, the shovers are often targeted in post flop play.
Yeah i agree i could be way better at them, but i do not run good haha, like in 1 20 min session i had KK 3 times and the other villain had AA, then i got AA and one of them had KK, and he rivered a king, im cursed! :D but yes i agree there will be things i could do better with

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sorry I wont be much help, but had to say how darn ironic it was reading this as i myself just posted a thread on how to get out of microstakes.

I feel you 100%, actually really felt like i was reading something I myself wrote. you sound like me lol.

what site do u play on?

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also playing micro-stakes, I think the most important thing is to have the discipline to stop yourself from playing too much and risk tilting and to keep learning and adjusting your game depending on your opponents. ;)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest adding some observation work to your time on line. You will find play is a little different at higher stakes. You will still see aggressive play but it will tend to be more targeted...the players at the higher stakes do tend to pay more attention to their opponents. Try observing higher stakes tournaments by watching some of the players with bigger stacks.
I did this for a while and found some players who win a lot more than they lose. They were nice enough not to hide from a site search so I could find them when they were playing. They varied their play in tournaments. You would see a TAG approach in early stages but when the middle stages arrived they would start loosening up. I'll leave it here and suggest you find your own tables to watch...it's surprising how much you can pick up when you're not involved in the tournamanet yourself. Good luck

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to play a lot of tournaments.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep playing the games where you are winning.
Use the profits to play the 'next level' and see what you need to change to become profitable there.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play on NL10 that would go to the next level you have to win or collect and have at the box office 100$ and so on, NL16 - 160$, NL25 - 250$, NL50 - 500$, NL100 - 1000$. It turns out that in order to make them have twins NL10 - 200$ NL25 to NL50 you go to 500$, it Turns out the transition the twins from NL amount, if 1-2$ then you need 20$ and that would peredti 2-5$ need$ 50 and so on, in short raise the amount the amount by which you want to go c NL25 raise$ 500 and go yf NL50, if you have a bankroll of$ 500 you play on NL50.

Last edited:
Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
I am kinda having similiar trouble in cash games.
I guess its understanding the play differently, between tourney and cash.
The approach is different, so try to play with anothet mind set.
Hope it works.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I wont be much help, but had to say how darn ironic it was reading this as i myself just posted a thread on how to get out of microstakes.

I feel you 100%, actually really felt like i was reading something I myself wrote. you sound like me lol.

what site do u play on?
Im on pokerstars, probably played against you 😃

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need study cash more. Probably you play cash like sng or tournament. If you improve your cash skill you will earn in cash game too.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you bet more, you win more, microbets are great to learn, but if you want to win, you have to invest.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the problem is not been lucky or unlucky. You should play with probability. If you 95% chance to win, you may lost now but in future you will win. You should keep playing and analysing.You should also observe that your chances in pre flop are different that in post flop, so you have to analyze both situations.
Moreover, we can't use the same strategies you use for tournaments in cash games.