How much time if any do you put into studying?

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Total posts
I've started wanting to get more serious in my poker life and all the pros say that you need to devote just as much time studying your game as playing. My question to you all is, do you? If so how much time? What kind of study do you prefer? Theroy, hand history, discord disucssions or maybe just watching youtube/twitch streamers?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Total posts
Awards
BR
I've started wanting to get more serious in my poker life and all the pros say that you need to devote just as much time studying your game as playing. My question to you all is, do you? If so how much time? What kind of study do you prefer? Theroy, hand history, discord disucssions or maybe just watching youtube/twitch streamers?
I love to study logical and math. I dont study theres a long time, but I am considered the crazy of the numbers... Hahaha...

Brentsn

Brentsn

Rock Star
Total posts
I don’t really study although I know I should. I don’t know what to study, people throw charts at you but to me it seems like a chart for every hand in every position with different stack sizes and and who or how many come in before you. The feeling of being overwhelmed sets in quickly, my mind feels like it’s walking through mist and just doesn’t retain anything. I am computerless and hand history Apps you need a computer. So I’m left watching any YouTube poker vid or any free content I can find. Jon Little (Pokercoaching.com) gives out a lot of free content and has promotions to get a lot of his content free
For short periods a few times a year. Access to his hand quizzes are a great help. You watch a video and make multiple choice answers for what you would do on every street. After you make your choice one of the coaches will explain their Choice and explain why. You can do the first 20 or 30 with free trial but there is almost a 1000 up from paying members or when you can get free access.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA

In total, I spent about 5 years studying. Only after 5 years of experience did I gain the necessary knowledge and start making a profit from the game. But unlike me, you can do it much faster. Just try our free course, be patient and you will have good results soon. Good luck.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Total posts
Awards
Anyone will benefit from studying, particularly if you find ways to study you enjoy.

Watching good streamers play is a nice idea. Another one is to pull up a complete game from your last session and look at every hand you played. Or use software to work on shove/fold spots.

I think though that there are few pros who really study just as much as they play. I never did -- I was probably at a ratio of 3:1 play : study at my most studying-intensive period. If you manage to study for 15 minutes before a 4-hour session, that's still a lot better than most of your opposition!

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
CA
As much as I know I should study poker my fear is how dry the content is and the next problem is time. I have so much on the go that all of my studying comes at the table. Maybe that's a good thing - I don't know....

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
I started reading ebooks about poker while driving to work and also in my free time. It really makes fun and i feel like gaining some new pro staff :D

P

PaulRosson

Rising Star
Total posts
I try to study whilst playing since I normally only have 1 or 2 tables active at a time.

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Sorry to say this but not at all:(, doing the best sport in the world everyday:D

H

Hedz

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
It depends what I'm doing, but I'll normally just put a professionals gameplay on when bored and watch some of them

emejota23

emejota23

Rock Star
Total posts
In itself, I am already studied, thank God, and my family, but I really like the spico analysis, of everything, in terms of personal relationships, and also analyze each poker hand, and its various situations. :D

M

mssmotilda

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
To be honest, I'm bored with studying, and I don't have enough time for it. The only thing I do for training is sometimes I watch broadcasts of major tournaments.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Rock Star
Total posts
I study 3 times a week at times when I'm very available to review my game and work on a new strategy so that I can effectively improve on the mistake I made.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

P

povelitelbz

Enthusiast
Total posts
While there is time 1-2 hours a day, when there is not, I do not delete it at all.So far I'm studying theory, it brings discipline to my game.

E

elchonga

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
I don't spend a certain amount of time
but when I can I read and watch strategy videos, almost every day I do

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Total posts
I have a lot of projects I work on, I am not sure how much I study poker, but I do read a lot and take a LOT of notes, then compile those notes and apply them. I haven't played live much, but so far it is working when I do play. I look at poker as a potential way to make money, and it is fun to learn. I suppose I study poker as a break from doing something else, that is just my situation and how I view poker, I find it as a relaxing hobby to delve into the infinite amount of complexities to the game. I am not a gambler, so it is not in my highest interest to become a master at poker, I just want to learn as much as I can to fully enjoy it as I go, and to make extra money, but the irony is I want the extra money to work on more creative projects that does not involve luck.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and think it is amazing, but I just can't see myself ever investing all of my time to the game. I am just a hobbyist to poker, much like 99% of the poker crowd out there I assume:)

Last edited:
B

Backlash

Rock Star
Total posts
Back in the day I always like Harringtons' books. Easy to understand and implement.

Stringy

Stringy

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
GB
every game is a lesson but in terms of vids and stuff probs less than an hour a week

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
US
I study about 15 a week on average. I prefer hand history and quizzes along with interactive videos. I probably play about that many hours a week also.

Jim

miguel198433

miguel198433

Enthusiast
Total posts
Awards
hi

Well I learn to play a lot of poker by playing different hands knowing how to lose and how you lose and it also helps me a lot by watching videos

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Hi

Watching videos, and good level tournaments, it is always important to follow good players.

miguel198433

miguel198433

Enthusiast
Total posts
Awards
okay

I dedicate about 4 hours a day to the studio:deal::deal::deal::deal::deal:

T

ThanosN1

Rising Star
Total posts
Watching good streamers play is a nice idea.