How to get the most out of your hand history questions.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Many players ask how I can improve my game and cheaply. One way is by talking about hands played with your peers and players better than yourself. Around 2005 if another forum I was invited into a private group of players working to improve there games. Many played a much higher level of games and we even had 2 HPT champions in the group by the end. One requirement was to post 20 hands and respond to 30 other each month. I was quickly told before I could post hands in the private group I 1st needed to learn how to properly post a hand. I did not understand why i was being told this but would soon find out why it was so vital.

One thing i notice when people put up hand questions is the lack of needed details that would or could be able to help you get better answers to your questions or better feedback. Once I learned to give better information to my fellow players I found the details of the feedback I received to be better and more likely to be helpful to my improving of the game. Today I would like to help my fellow Cardchat players get more from there questions.

The more detailed your information the better. Just putting or a cards chat re-player and asking a question leaves out a lot of details. Ever putting up the actual hand history from the site misses details. So what should you do? You don't need to be perfect but more information the better.

Start with information about your self from your time at the tables. How long you have been there, Has anything interesting happen that you did. What have you been doing. This information can be very useful. Here is an example of what I would say. "Been at the table for a few orbits. Been playing a lot of hands so far but winning most without showing cards. My one hand shown was a bluff on the river. My table image is Very loose and aggressive. " This would be very helpful depending on the hand you playing to give you better feedback.

who you against. We want the same information on him to. Example " he has been at table since I arrived. He has only played 1 hand I can recall and was betting his hand strong but only called with Aces preflop. "He flopped a set." This again would be helpful in the hand discussion. Now if you have HUD stats give us the info. Every thing helps. hands VIP and PFR are always nice. I did have hands against him in the past. 125 hands VIP 10 PRF 0 3bet 0

Hand situation itself vs this same guy. I opened (53BB deep) with AsQs from the HJ 2.25xBB and he called in the BB. Effective stack size is 32BB and the POT is 6.5BB. Were are in the last hand in the the blind level of a Turbo tournament. This info is great to set up the hand start. Our image is not very good and we are up against a shorter stack who looks to be very tight.

The flop comes 2s 8c Ad and he checks and I C-bet my top pair for 2.5BB and he surprised me and re-raises to 5.5BB and I call. I thought about what hands he could have here and decided to not push him harder. A question here is he already committed to the POT? He has been so tight I only see him doing this with pocket 2's 8's or a paired ace from the flop. Another problem here is he already committed to the POT? Problem is Ak, AQ and hopefully AJ. Normally I would say he could have an 8 but he is so tight. With information like this you are giving us vital info. We know what your thinking about and your thoughts on the player and why you played the hand this way.

we go to the turn Pot size 17.5BB and he has 24.75BB left. The turn is a brick 3h. so there are no flush or realistic straight draws here. The BB leads for 5BB leaving only 19.75BB left. It was an obvious bluff so I jammed all in and.................................................. what ever happened next you add in along with the bad news you lost to AK.

Now here is where people put in questions like did i play it wrong. Could I have avoided the loss here. Was it a cooler and just unlucky? With more information like this players could help you and answer your questions.

Now if I were to see a hand like this I could help. Preflop was not an issue at all. I like your c-bet on a very safe looking flop but that 3bet was small, why? You say he was agresave when he had it and did not 3 bet aces. Add that with your previous hands with him I can see him seeing the flop with big aces KQ and pairs. This is tough since his range is so tight against yours and stronger too. I can agree with your call as pushing him could be a mistake. The turn is where I think you make a massive mistake. He bet super small I agree but why would you put him on a bluff here? Did you have a tell or some other info because on the flop you had him with sets and aces? To answer your questions, could you have gotten away from this? I don't like folding a strong hand like AQ here but based on the info of this player we should not be putting him on a bluff when he bets 140% pot on the turn. We should honestly think about the tight fold vs him. We lost to the sets and AK. We split AQ and lose to the AJ. I am not sure I would fold here but it would be a tough call to be honest.

OK everyone. I hope this has been helpful.. Add other info you think could be helpful to others. We have a great forum to help each other on so lets take advantage of this great site.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
To improve your results at pokerstars, you need to work on your game. Hand analysis is a tool available to every poker player who has made a PokerStars hand histories request. The Poker client of Stars is designed in such a way that each user can get free access to the hand history or replayer. To do this, you do not need special programs, but you just need to use the built-in program on PokerStars.Saved played hands can be uploaded to the poker tracker for further analysis. In the mobile application, such information is not stored, but you can make a request by mail and receive these distributions.PokerStars keeps a history of hands played for real money only. There is no function to request the history of hands played with play chips.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Amazing! Thank you, Luvepoker!!
Personally, from now on I will try to include as many information as I can. Usually, we tend to just post the hand as organized as possible, with a link to the replayer, and we forget that these details make a difference!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Amazing! Thank you, Luvepoker!!
Personally, from now on I will try to include as many information as I can. Usually, we tend to just post the hand as organized as possible, with a link to the replayer, and we forget that these details make a difference!
Your welcome and thank you for the nice comment.

One nice part about adding this information was it also got me being more aware at the table as I was playing and what was happening. I also found as time went on it helped me even more in my thought process in game. This awareness really help my game jump big time in the early years. best of luck to you mate.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To improve your results at PokerStars, you need to work on your game. Hand analysis is a tool available to every poker player who has made a PokerStars hand histories request. The Poker client of Stars is designed in such a way that each user can get free access to the hand history or replayer. To do this, you do not need special programs, but you just need to use the built-in program on PokerStars.Saved played hands can be uploaded to the poker tracker for further analysis. In the mobile application, such information is not stored, but you can make a request by mail and receive these distributions.PokerStars keeps a history of hands played for real money only. There is no function to request the history of hands played with play chips.
@dreamer13 I have requested my hand history from PokerStars, but my computer will not open the file. It sent me a link for an AES encrypted file but when I click the link, it says page not available. Or it just goes to this page on my laptop:

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Thanks brother @Luvepoker for the excellent detail on how to use the hand history.
Since, I don't remember if @Chica_bonita or @Andyreas taught me what it was like to download the hand history in PS, I really consider my game to have improved, because I can analyze how I act more coldly.
For example, yesterday I lost a great opportunity in a MTT 5 card draw where I think I did a very stupid thing.

At a 6 player table, I had a rebuy available.
UTG with 30 BB open 5 bet
SB with 38 BB calls
I in BB with 32 BB pay with :10s4::10c4:xxx

The discard comes and I achieve :10s4::10c4::10h4:xx
UTG discards a single card and SB discards 3 cards.

UTG was a player from the UK who had actually done that opening situation many times and no one at the table had called, so he didn't have much information about the player. Although when I play I generally make notes on all the players.

UTG goes allin.
SB calls the all-in. Here I minimally understand that SB minimally achieved the set
And having the set, I calculated that I was beating SB, but in truth, the previous play that UTG had made made me think that they had achieved some project, or that they hid a set, which many players do.
But I didn't think that I actually had a rebuy available and could have called, since the MTT was worth it.
So don't pay. The result was that SB won with a :5s4::5c4::5h4: set and UTG had 5-bet with a 2-point straight draw that failed :8d4::9h4::10c4::js4::mad:.

When I saw the hand again and analyzed it, that's where I realized that I had sincerely committed a real stupidity.
More than anything because he had a rebuy available.
And because I was watching the game and I saw that the English player was playing a fairly systematic game of stealing the blinds.
In a 5 card draw game that plays a lot and let's say I have a lot of experience, it is very difficult to find very good hands preflop to make similar raises to win the hand.
Those plays are generally stealing the blinds preflop to support the tournament.

Well, brother, I gave you this example more than anything so that you can see that your post is excellent, and that the improvement of our game is as you say. The analysis of the hands played is fundamental, so as not to make the same mistake again in the future.

I send you a big hug and thanks again.

Have a great Sunday both you and your family.

Carlos:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

A

AmeliaT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AU
Chips
Hello! Thanks for your advice and this extremely helpful information! From now on I will try to include as much information as possible!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands