How many times will A Q win against A K in poker

S

Snowtoso

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
The effectiveness of AQ against AK in poker depends on several factors, including table dynamics, stakes, player positions, and the community cards that are dealt. In a direct confrontation between AQ and AK before all community cards are dealt, AK is a statistically stronger hand.

The probability of AK winning against AQ in a head-to-head confrontation before any community cards are dealt is approximately 2 to 1. This means that AK will win approximately twice as much as AQ.

However, it's important to note that the development of a poker hand can be influenced by many other factors, including game strategy, bluffs, and player skill. So while AK is statistically stronger against AQ in a head-to-head confrontation, the outcome of a specific hand can vary significantly.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
AQ is a tricky hand to play. You are way ahead of the AJ and below, and you are way behind against the AK. This make it really tough to play when the Ace hits the board. You have to figure out how to make the most with this hand while loosing the least when you are behind. Good luck!

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think odds AK with AQ is 4 to 1 to win the deal, and it is good game if you call push AQ with AK on your hand. AK - it is premium hand!

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use of a free calculator like perhaps Equilab gives these values with a big enough sample size:

So, AQ will win vs. AK in about 24.12 % of the plays.

You can calculate how your wins and losses are in cash games if you use simple $2.00 stacks, perhaps with a sample size of 100k played hands.

So you win with these values $96480 and loose $303520 if the potsize is in sum $4.00. (Rake not calculated).
This means with your investment of $200000 you lose in sum $7040 long term, assumed you have a $200000 bankroll to play poker.
In these situations, played as a pre flop all in, it is a bad move.
If you are able to get the AK player to fold post flop these values don't apply.

Last edited:
Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think this hand seems strong to many people, but this hand is not that strong when you don't have your cards on the board and even weak pairs like 77+ can win you and you have to be careful because sometimes you can pay too much with this hand and AQ vs AK is very painful because you will lose a lot with AQ against AK and yes the table doesn't lie you will win 25+% against AK but it will be very rare

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Its very tough too beat a-k with a-q just because you have one card different and its the low card of both........not impossible too win but tough

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This will depend on many factors. What stage of the hand are we in and what is our position?.... But as a rule, going all in preflop is not recommended with either hand. Unless we're in a crazy firefight.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the local situation. You might even be able to find a law to win even when you are being dominated.

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most of the time AK wins ..unless its on replay😂🤣😂 I don’t know what it is about it, but my ace king, most of the time gets smashed on replay😂💁🏽‍♀️ that’s the poker life😎

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Even though starting hands like AK and AQ look pretty good, there are many situations in which they quickly lose all their deceptive beauty.Playing AK correctly is not easy because with this hand you will miss the flop two times out of three.

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, the turn to AK was 50
%It all depends on the table

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think I could also add something about AK's mentality and tendency to be prone to losing when there is an A on the table (being next to the best kicker), in favor of two pairs good luck to the villain, while an AQ might think about it again.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The probability of AQo beating AKo in holdem

3/45 + 3/44 + 3/43

Approximately 20.5%

This does not include flush or straight draws on the flop.

And of course this assumes no king on the board.

Don't depend on it happening....good luck !

IPlayToWin

IPlayToWin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MD
Chips
Sometimes you will win with AQ against AK as you saw the equity of AQ against AK is 26,70%.
AQ its a good hand, but sometimes you should fold this hand when someone is going ALL IN preflop.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
AJ is trash online . AQ carefully played . AK and good pairs good to play . All other hands with good odds . Online the way you play a hand can affect the outcome . If you have played long enough you know what I mean .