How many people struggle when deciding gut reaction over strategy?

N

Nathaniel1976

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I have played online poker for sometime, using a few sites. I struggle when using strategy over my gut feelings. What do most do in the situation? I feel to many follow there gut and loss the strategy path. Hence why the loss the game and loss heart. Thoughts?

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YeahI am with you on this. I played a lot more gut play in the past than I do today but still find myself still struggling with it. Especially in a long MTT

N

Nathaniel1976

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad I'm not the only one, I hope that my gut becomes entwined with strategy and they work together. I have played some very good games and I just don't know how I did it. Other players have said in the game that I just knock (who ever ) a leading player out of the game.

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes in a long MTT I just want to play some hands so that's hard. Other than that I'm quite aware of stack size and the limitations on what you can do so that helps prevent some of the splashy plays...

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just losing focus.
necessary is to see the triggers, and heal them.

S

SKav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a victim of this all the time! I just have to keep reminding myself to stick to the strategy and dont start paying people off to just have a look at the next card. although sometimes it works, I find I rarely hit and then your stuck folding or trying to bluff losing unnecessary chips anyways

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always listen to my "gut",,, it's right 99% of the time,so why would't i? ;)

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can listen to your gut, but you should mainly be playing strategy and make decisions as they come, take each street as it is and dont have a plan for hand ahead of time, but id say strategy mostly and gut in really tough spots like calling all in on the river, if you feel like ur good most of the time, just call it off etc...

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think part of growing and improving as a player is making a conscious effort to go against your gut feeling if your strategic/logical reasoning is telling you to. Gut feeling is based off of habit and experience, and if you're truly learning more about the game and getting better, that feeling is always going to be a bit behind your current skill potential. When it comes time to make the hard decision, force yourself to go for it, don't stick to your old ways every time.

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's how confident game, but near-final and the final table, no strategy has not helped, the card did not go

TIp5G7rM.png

K8cnMLM0.png