How can one manage long duration of poker tournament

L

lovido

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a newbie, i always find it hard to make it to the finish line, once i'm in the money and i made little profit i always lose focus, lost first positions a lot cause of it. sometimes won't able finish in second position.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Take small breaks in between walk around for 30 secs, stretch, talk to yourself i.e. pump yourself up to keep focused, drink something water or something sweet (tea coffee coke), play some upbeat music (Eye of the tiger by Survivor and Headstrong by Trapt are my favorite pump up songs).

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient and keep playing your style.There is a temptation to play all the cards when you are in the first rows...

L

lovido

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys, i will implement it.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I too suffered something similar. As soon as I got into the prize zone, I relaxed, and eventually lost. Now I can't even get into the prize-winning places. So rejoice that you get in the money. :D

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must be as focused and concentrated as possible. Here you need to be patient and wait for good pocket cards, and it will be right to play even more aggressively.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to keep the focus, keep playing the way that take you to the ITM. If you entered in the money, you are in the right way, because only about 15% reach this spot.
If you are tired, throwing away your chips, take a little rest right after you fold when you are UTG, because, in the next hand at BB, you will be the last to play pré-floppy and this gives you a good time to breath and come back. Go to the kitchen and take a fast lunch or juice/water.
Keep in mind that the best and real ROI places are at the final table. So you have and need to mantain and double your attetion at the end.
Maybe you are choosing very deep tournaments that doesn't match to your style of play. Try different speed of tournveys can help too.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get Up.. Walk around, make something to eat, Stretch, Hell sometimes I sit out and read anything but poker for about 5-10 minutes.

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Living in a state with recreational helps a lot! But most the time if I'm playing just one table I'm always working online (excel/data) kind of stuff. Allows me to sit for a long time and be "productive" while still playing. Once I'm burnt out, then I'll usually roll a small one and go from there..

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Don t play tired. In the money always is a success.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a newbie, i always find it hard to make it to the finish line, once i'm in the money and i made little profit i always lose focus, lost first positions a lot cause of it. sometimes won't able finish in second position.

drink coffee

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what make it an endurance sport - eat healthy, practice mediation and get enough sleep before the tournament. I even like to have a nap before big live tournaments.

Kamnerobot

Kamnerobot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always watching some stupid YT vids during tourney or you can play cash instead of MTT.

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Proper rest.

If I start to fall tired during a tournament, I can easily throw it - thinking, 'I'm just tooooo tired, I have to sleep'.

The only way around that is good rest.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the break every hour I've had to start walking away from the computer, just take a complete breather and use it as a reset otherwise I'm fried after two hours.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact,it is very difficult,if the tournament has a lot of players such as 5 thousand or more,not every professional will be able to overcome such a field,a few tips that I can give it to play tight, and play by position!

I

ilucha228

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just ask yourself: Is getting into the prize zone - my maximum?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are my tips.

You need to go into the tournament with a goal of winning the tournament. Dedicate yourself to anything less than that is a failure, understand the time and focus it will take to do so and commit to it.

It seems to me that you, perhaps unknowingly, are making a goal of cashing and once you have done that have subconsciously said " OK, I did it. Anything else now is just extra gravy." In this case,you lost that mental sharpness and hunger to keep looking for those situations that can keep chips flowing to you, and instead become more passive and let chips disappear.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems logical, but try to actually make use of the breaks. I used to have a tendency to just sit and wait out the breaks during the first 2 or 3 hours. But take a walk, get some drinks/exercises in between, whatever you like. Really helps me focus later on.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

my dear friend, before you play poker, collect your thoughts, tell yourself that I will take this first place, stick to the tight-aggressive style at later stages and start playing more tightly. When a break comes, pour yourself some tea, and sit down and think about where you made mistakes, review your losses while drinking a cup of tea and make a conclusion for yourself. Take into account all the factors, where your players are, how much they think, what style they play, only after that make decisions. Do not bluff against opponents if you do not know them.
Good luck at the poker tables, I wish you success and good.:D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I multi task and watch Netflix at the same time.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay focused, try to take 1/2 min break ( if it s long tournament) . You re already good , because u made it to 15% ITM .don t try to eliminate all the players, it Eva mtt tournament. Stay on the average :

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The rest You're playing

You have to play no any hands on the table politely one by one.

When the hand done one before is complicated, and it can't concentrate on the next hand, please don't also forget to rest from the hand.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hey Lovido,

Some good advice above, but it seems most have skipped a simple idea.

You need to train and practice to extend the time you can play and play your 'A' game. It s like any sport. If you are not used to playing soccer for more than 45 minutes, a full game will tire you. If you never run more than a kilometer, five kilometers will be too much to handle.

Try to listen to some podcasts which reflect poker players life styles and adjustments needed. You will find many discuss how they had to make changes from playing cash, when switching to MTTs. Why? Because you can sit and play a few hands then leave if you want in cash game. But if a player enters a tournament and runs deep, that might entail many hours (if a serious tourney several days and 10 hour days at that).

So, I would begin by (when you have time) extending your sessions. If you normally play an hour or two, aim for three hours. I had a break not to long ago, where I decided I would play for eight hours a day. At first it was a strain then I adapted.

Now, I sometimes cannot believe when the first hour break happens- it literally feels like I have been playing for ten minutes! All you need to do at first is condition and train for longer sessions, and then you will find the mental game improves also, as you will not feel so stressed/tired.