How to make a continuation bet?

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as the strategy of always getting into a Poker hand raising instead of limp is certainly one of the tactics that a Poker player has to develop in their game.

The continuation bet or c-bet as it is also called, happens when we raise preflop and we continue our play raising again on the flop, turn and river, thus being a very aggressive tactic.

However, we should be well aware when doing c-bet and when to check, showing skill according to the texture of the board and understanding our own hand and our opponent's actions a bluff as with a good poker hand . However, knowing when to c-bet and when to check is a much harder skill to learn and involves an understanding of your own hand, how it connects to the flop, and what your opponent seems to have.

What other precautions should we take when using c-bet in a Poker hand? I would like to read the strategies that my colleagues in Forúm of CardsChat use or usually do...

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Connected medium cards like T87 are the worst to Cbet. There's always overcards and draws that will continue. A single high card with a couple of disconnected lows are the best along with paired boards like 884 as they miss most calling ranges.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree that the 'c-bet' is a must in showing hand strength on the flop. Depending on the strength of your hole-cards and how many players made it to the flop should dictate whether or not a c-bet is fashionable, here. Let's say I'm raising 3x the BB pre-flop w/:8s4::8c4: in the cut-off and I get 2 players, perhaps an early limper and a caller in the blind, and the flop comes :5d4:-:ah4:-:8d4:, a half pot c-bet would seem appropriate. If I flopped an 8 on a rainbow board then I might just check and see what happens on the turn, hoping for a black card or heart. If I'm raising w/AK, QJ-std, or something similar in the same situation and get 1 caller to a flop like A-J-9 then I'm definitely making a c-bet of at least 1/3 the pot 65% of the time.
In a situation where I can isolate a player to a flop where I'm in position, no matter what my hole cards are, then I'm probably going to make a c-bet w/an A on the flop.
Knowing the players I'm up against obviously helps, but at a site like ignition where I'm playing a blind strategy could be a bit tricky. Stack sizes, a players' aggressive or submissive moves will obviously be a factor in making c-bets w/just Ax, KQ, QJ, etc., or small pairs.
Making c-bets w/big pkt-pairs is a must w/any flop, imo. Nice question/thread. :icon_thum

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
continuation bet on the flop, a good test of other opponents to know what to expect on the turn from rivals

F

firephreak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
cbet less if its wet and you aint hit nothin yet

How often I c bet depends on a few different things.
  1. how often does this person fold to a c bet? This is easier to determine with a good sample size and a hud
  2. how often have I cbet recently? People are likely to notice if you cbet hand after hand and never switch up your strategy. This also works in reverse though. if you haven't cbet recently and you cbet as a bluff or a semi bluff your more likely to get respect unless the board makes the cbet make no sense. if the board comes out jack 3 8 and you raised in ep how likely are you to have an over pair or that jack?
  3. Your cbetting frequency also changes depending on the format and number of players

F

firephreak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
continuation bet on the flop, a good test of other opponents to know what to expect on the turn from rivals

that's true but if you do that constantly people are gonna take notice and start crushing you by checking letting you bet then shoving it down your throat. I've noticed a lot of people like to check shove in the micro and low stakes any thoughts on how to combat that issue?

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just bet thats all you have to do, don't think, just bet.

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the 'c-bet' is a must in showing hand strength on the flop. Depending on the strength of your hole-cards and how many players made it to the flop should dictate whether or not a c-bet is fashionable, here. Let's say I'm raising 3x the BB pre-flop w/:8s4::8c4: in the cut-off and I get 2 players, perhaps an early limper and a caller in the blind, and the flop comes :5d4:-:ah4:-:8d4:, a half pot c-bet would seem appropriate. If I flopped an 8 on a rainbow board then I might just check and see what happens on the turn, hoping for a black card or heart. If I'm raising w/AK, QJ-std, or something similar in the same situation and get 1 caller to a flop like A-J-9 then I'm definitely making a c-bet of at least 1/3 the pot 65% of the time.
In a situation where I can isolate a player to a flop where I'm in position, no matter what my hole cards are, then I'm probably going to make a c-bet w/an A on the flop.
Knowing the players I'm up against obviously helps, but at a site like Ignition where I'm playing a blind strategy could be a bit tricky. Stack sizes, a players' aggressive or submissive moves will obviously be a factor in making c-bets w/just Ax, KQ, QJ, etc., or small pairs.
Making c-bets w/big pkt-pairs is a must w/any flop, imo. Nice question/thread. :icon_thum

Great post. If I raise pre-flop then I always plan to c-bet unless I completely miss on the flop and a lot of people stay in the hand.