How long did they stop being beginners?

Miguelpaniura0893

Miguelpaniura0893

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long do you think you stop calling yourself a beginner playing poker in addition to already knowing the rules and hands of poker

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, I've been playing online poker since 2013 and I'm still a beginner.
I think that I will only consider myself a veteran when I present earnings.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have been playing for about 5 years, I consider myself a beginner.
Before I played for playing, since 1 year ago, I am playing more this also due to a pandemic that gave me time to study and play more.
I think I will only stop being a beginner when I feel more comfortable when I am playing tournaments with higher values.
Today there are a lot of freerols and tournaments with very small amounts, for example from 1 $ to 5 $

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I start making poker for a living, then I will no longer be a beginner.:)

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing for many years and I play for fun.I'm a newbie and I still am.So far, I have not found sufficient motivation to deepen the study of more material than I own.I have wins and losses.And I love this game!Probably you, too.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i'll stop considering myself a beginner when i win a major mtt, online or live. until then, i'll always be a beginning player.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i stopped feeling a beginner when the intensity of feeling like an idiot with my decisions in the game decreases.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a very long journey but I would say when you start consistently winning. However you will continue to learn and progress the entire time you play poker.

Miguelpaniura0893

Miguelpaniura0893

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a very long journey but I would say when you start consistently winning. However you will continue to learn and progress the entire time you play poker.

Thank you very much, I will take it into account

ComfyPanda

ComfyPanda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is a set time when you are no longer a beginner. For some people it is when they move up to a certain stake, others when they've cashed out a particular amount, but I think the most common is whenever you start winning consistently and can earn an amount on a regular basis. Then again, I'm still a casual beginner, so what do I know?

Miguelpaniura0893

Miguelpaniura0893

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think there is a set time when you are no longer a beginner. For some people it is when they move up to a certain stake, others when they've cashed out a particular amount, but I think the most common is whenever you start winning consistently and can earn an amount on a regular basis. Then again, I'm still a casual beginner, so what do I know?

Thanks for answering, If it is difficult to stop calling yourself a beginner, I also play casually, I do not make a living with poker, much less, it is more like a hobby in which to spend your time on something you like, With time and You practice, you change your style of play, I have been playing online for three months because of the pandemic, because otherwise I don't have time, but I have learned some specific things, such as when they want to cheat you when you bet high or when they really have something strong in their hand . But hey time will tell greetings from Venezuela

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can stop being called a beginner when you start naturally thinking beyond what the other player is thinking during key hands. Meaning you start thinking about what they were thinking that you were thinking when you made your bet.
If you can think on this level in addition to understanding betting strategies and different levels of the game in both cash and tournaments and can play deep in the money without second guessing your plays then you are no longer a beginner. You make your decisions based on the situation and not just based on what your cards are preflop. I have never folded AA. I have, and will fold again, KK, AK, QQ, TPTK, small sets, and ass-ended straights.
Overall, when you stop questioning your play and second guessing your reasons for making a bet (win or lose), then I think you can say you are no longer a beginner.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How long do you think you stop calling yourself a beginner playing poker in addition to already knowing the rules and hands of poker

Beginner you are just in the beginning. While you learn the basics. Then you become an amateur poker player. :) And without hurting anyone, you can be an avid amateur for a lifetime. :) While you're mostly freerolling or playing penny and a few dollar games...But what does it matter what you call yourself? why is it important? I do not understand. :)

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When atleast you think you are winning a reasonable amount. Technically speaking when you know what the pot odds, equity, and a lot more like range composition, how important blockers are etc.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can stop being called a beginner when you start naturally thinking beyond what the other player is thinking during key hands. Meaning you start thinking about what they were thinking that you were thinking when you made your bet.
If you can think on this level in addition to understanding betting strategies and different levels of the game in both cash and tournaments and can play deep in the money without second guessing your plays then you are no longer a beginner. You make your decisions based on the situation and not just based on what your cards are preflop. I have never folded AA. I have, and will fold again, KK, AK, QQ, TPTK, small sets, and ass-ended straights.
Overall, when you stop questioning your play and second guessing your reasons for making a bet (win or lose), then I think you can say you are no longer a beginner.

Yes, need that thinking too.(and so on...) But that doesn't make someone professional yet because he thinks about his freerolls and penny-dollar tournaments without much result. And I’ll even add that because someone for example won 10k in a 10$ 500,000$ grt New Year’s tournament, someone won’t be a pro either. Very very nice result, but don't call himselfself a pro. :) Need more than that, even in results, plus what kind of opponents the results are against.In the tournaments you play, "no one" play or is full of a well-known poker player?!At least in tournament poker, you have to bring results among pros as well...not only you know that about yourself you are not an amateur, but also the others know about you you are not an amateur. :)

There is a lot to talk about this issue .. but why ?? :D

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As soon as you start to play positively stable, I think then you can safely call yourself a regular.

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, need that thinking too.(and so on...) But that doesn't make someone professional yet because he thinks about his freerolls and penny-dollar tournaments without much result. And I’ll even add that because someone for example won 10k in a 10$ 500,000$ grt New Year’s tournament, someone won’t be a pro either. Very very nice result, but don't call himselfself a pro. :) Need more than that, even in results, plus what kind of opponents the results are against.In the tournaments you play, "no one" play or is full of a well-known poker player?!At least in tournament poker, you have to bring results among pros as well...not only you know that about yourself you are not an amateur, but also the others know about you you are not an amateur. :)

There is a lot to talk about this issue .. but why ?? :D

I think these are two different topics. The OP is referring to when can you stop calling yourself a beginner. Beginner & Not Beginner is different than Amatuer & Professional.

There are very few players relative to the whole poker population who turn into professional poker players. But nearly everyone who sticks with the game for a few months or years can certainly no longer be considered a Beginner. It's a matter of how one defines those terms I suppose.

My point is that if you are sticking with the game's expected ups and downs over a period of time and continue to play beyond just being familiar with the rules and put some thought into your decisions, then you're certainly not a Beginner anymore. However, not being a beginner does not mean you are anywhere close to becoming a professional - ever. LOL.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it matter?

I've met "beginners " who play great. My son played for a year and is well above average. He is well above average at Omaha. There is so much information out there from great players.

I've also met pro players that are just average.

Be careful worrying about labels, won't make you a better player. Just keep trying to understand losses and fixing holes. You will find more and more sucess.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One or maybe two years at the most, and I have been playing for over 10 years

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think these are two different topics. The OP is referring to when can you stop calling yourself a beginner. Beginner & Not Beginner is different than Amatuer & Professional.

There are very few players relative to the whole poker population who turn into professional poker players. But nearly everyone who sticks with the game for a few months or years can certainly no longer be considered a Beginner. It's a matter of how one defines those terms I suppose.

My point is that if you are sticking with the game's expected ups and downs over a period of time and continue to play beyond just being familiar with the rules and put some thought into your decisions, then you're certainly not a Beginner anymore. However, not being a beginner does not mean you are anywhere close to becoming a professional - ever. LOL.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

That’s why I still used the term amateur after the beginner. (2 mails before.)What I replied to you may not have been clear. so
you're right! But my train of thought has already continued ... If someone no longer thinks of himself as an amateur, then the professional term comes to me....