How long to become pro?

G

Guilhermeh088

Rising Star
Total posts
A player at the beginning of his career, turning over tables and studying every day, takes around 6 months to 2 years to become a professional

A new way of studying is listening to learn, several podcats are being released with great content, and which one do you listen to?

Last edited by a moderator:
infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
A player at the beginning of his career, turning over tables and studying every day, takes around 6 months to 2 years to become a professional

Apparently it individually depends on the abilities of each individual. I've been playing poker for over 10 years, but I can't call myself a professional, although I make a regular profit from the game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
This would depend on a lot of factors but 6 month to 2 years is more likely not the way to look at it. There is a lot to learn in this game and even the best are still learning.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
On top of being a good poker player - I feel like being a 'professional' is more of a decision which not all good poker players may want to be a part of. There are many great (in ability) players who only use poker as a side hustle, or perhaps a hobby.

It takes another level of dedication to try and make poker your primary (or large portion) of your income.

Nochaser

Nochaser

Enthusiast
Total posts
Awards

I personally don't believe that becoming a pro has a timeframe. It depends on your abilities and capabilities. Some are absolute naturals when it comes to the game. Also, I believe incorporating a good study habit will assist too.

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Total posts
I think that being proffesional could take much more then 6 month or two years. First it's depand on how much effort and work you put in, second, you need to play a lot to get an experience.
When you accomplish both, you can start calling yourself a pro.:)

H

HTML

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
for someone, 100 years is not enough. and for someone 1 is enough.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB

I assume with the language obstacle, that what you are projecting is your wish fulfilment rather than reality.

Yes, I can think of some who claim they went from zero to 100 in their first year but they number a handful compared to the millions who play. I doubt but a tiny fraction of those who play as professionals today were declaring themselves as such within their first two years of playing.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Total posts
I think you only can get better ,but you must have the inspiration to play poker

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Asking such a question is stupid.
Even if it takes 20 years, I think some people will make a big leap forward.