How to keep motivated?

R

Retina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever i lost a big amount of chips in a special Tournament i just want to give up and get frustrated ! how can I cheer up myself ?

Well, first of all, if you want to win the tournament, you have to come and wait for the right opportunity to go for broke. After that game very carefully and do not enter the game in early position with suited connectors. As soon as you have on hand will be the Big Slick or a pair of queens, feel free to go all-in! I wish you luck in your victories!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol this happens so frequently for me. Sometimes I just laugh it off and if it's a "rebuy or re-entry" I just leave the tournament. If the tournament is still early and the average chip stack is still low while getting sucked out, I'd most likely re-enter since I can still make a comeback.

However if I'm constantly getting bad beats: runner runner, flushed on the river, hail mary ATC shoves and they hit quads on flop... I'll probably vent in my room and stop playing.

Usually from there I just rail bird the SnGs & MTT that I get knocked out of so that I can relieve stress and not go in tilt mode. Not going to lie, I get a chuckle/stress relieve watching someone else get sucked out on the next hand after I get knocked out.

If I get a terrible bad beat on cash games and I go in tilt mode... I just log off. Not even going to bother to watch anymore. Worst feeling is when they suckout and then immediately cash out and leave. "Hit & run" effect.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
My small advice is .. take a break and rejuvinate yourself . spend more time with your Family and friends. go out Play somthing or do fishing or whatever u love to do besides poker of course.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop playing hard for me... Boy i should though its getting to the point where im burned out and the ups and downs are getting me sea sick and ready to go bonkers. I do relax but suckouts are hard to take. Good luck.

O

ozziwar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheer every time you win a big pot instead and the loses wont be as bad, atleast thats how I approach it. If I don't got lots of tables up and I win a big one I go to youtube and watch this one as I cheer my win ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4EwKrTgtLQ

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop playing if you're not enjoying it and take a break, after all we all started playing poker because we enjoyed the game and enjoyment should also be the key factor.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I run into sick bad beats over and over, I just rail bird 18 MTT tables at the same time and laugh at all the bad beats. (Carbon will only let me have 18 MTT tables up at the same time :( )

Usually I'm ready to play again after watching others get sucked out on again... and again. :D Motivation regained!

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grunching:

If you're not motivated then you're not motivated and you just shouldn't play. It's as simple as that.

Tilt is one thing, and is something that can be controlled and improved over time. Not being motivated and potentially not enjoying the game is something completely different. Never force yourself to play for the sake of playing

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best thing you can do is give yourself a stop-loss. Also review your session and try to plug some of the leaks that you uncover that lead to your bad play.

S

SuzanneEckert

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are having really very bad time, then I think it would be good to stay away from poker for some time, And comeback with new strategies.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you aren't motivated look out for some physical activity: go to run or do some exercise, when you come back to poker you will feel refreshed and alert again.

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When variance or a bad run happens what do you do ?
Play threw it ? LOL

STOP playing and either try later or the next day . Do not play threw because your only donating . I have players make the statements they have to play threw their variance. LOL I dont see how any of the math , or cards would know if your playing threw your variance .

If your winning keep playing if your losing quit playing. Dont mixed up trying to make up money if your losing and why would you quit if your winning ?
Mast players get this backwards and they lose more and win less or limit how much they can win.

Good Skill At The Tables

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing wrong with accepting bad beats, you are usually ahead when they happen. The process is always more important than the results. If the process is right the results will come.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mentioned it before, but I really think opening up 12-18 cash game/MTT tables (TO WATCH not play lol) up at the same time and watch the chat windows to relieve your stress. Not only do you get to study & see a ton of hands being played for free, but you can also get a good laugh at someone crying about a suckout or bad beat. It will help you quickly get over your bad beat. Remember you are NOT the only one getting sucked out on.

I've had AA, KK, QQ, etc. cracked several times preflop by straighty hands daily. I didn't slow play them and I still get destroyed it happens. That's poker FOLKS!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep in mind that poker is a long term game. You might be down for the day, but if you're still profiting overall, then you're doing well. Dont look at your results from day-to-day, but month-to-month. A lot can happen in a day.

As an MTT player, I've had days where I busted out of every game, then the next day, I cashed in every game. So, it can be very swingy. Especially for MTTs.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make a vision board of a wsop win, or a big tournament and edit your name as the winner! :)

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also listening to music keeps me motivated. Energetic music of course!

A

AnCarolina19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to keep myself motivated I follow the great Negreanu, but when things start to complicate up and I go on tilt I try to stop and listen to a calm music to relax else or give banking cable 5 times. I am very nervous

rogerdelpk

rogerdelpk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's really hard when you have those days in what it seems imposible to win a hand, the best strategy is to take a walk and dont let the tilt get the best of you, tomorrow the game will be waiting for you....

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to overcome bad days in poker, when you go into the red every game?Stopped playing?

four bad days str8 even took some time down to not play see if changes will wait it out is that simple I love to play though so now will just freeroll lol see when luck changes and push the hell out of it haha.

I know it comes around and changes so have that at heart:) Have played enough to go through ups and downs know when to push when to just maintain right now is maintain its ugly lol so freerolls:)

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
taking a time out

When playing so bad I usually end up taking some time out. Play something other than poker. A day or two is all it takes, I may not place but my play is better and when I go it usually a coin toss. I go by if you put it in good and you lose by the the luck of the draw, you know a 36% draw to a 18% and a lightning strike on the river. Your play is good you lose to a game of chance. Do do all you can to put your money in good. You just can't find the math of poker if your opponent doesn't know any or care to use it We try to read the players but there is so many movements in the game we get caught by one and it's good by or close to it... good game and good chips to you

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are bad days then there are also good days. The problem is there are more of the former and you don't know when it's gonna be. The only thing you can do is be prepared.

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tips for a true Funk

Hey guys, so I just recently was staked for a set of small tourneys on WPN (ACR to be specific) and I ran the tourneys split the pot and went from essentially $1.75 to $300 in about 2 weeks of grinding tourneys, had 6 wins of MTT's and about 5 wins of 9 mans. Was on a rail doing really good. Suddenly I hit this skid that has me back to nothing. A lot of hands turned sour on the river, getting chased. What do yall do to break a funk? I literally have went and done other things, then everytime I try to play I get frustrated as the first hands are being dealt.

L

LornaMurray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to overcome bad days in poker, when you go into the red every game?Stopped playing?

In this situation you should leave playing poker for some time, get back when you feel like interested in gaming as well as confident and updated with new strategies.