How to improve bet sizes

N

noobydooby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During hand review, I consistently notice that I could improve on my bet sizing. I'm wondering how I could do that.

I often look back on hands and say to myself "well, I could have used a smaller size and gotten the same thing done", or "that size doesn't make sense for my value range, only my bluffs".

Anyone have tips on how to improve bet-sizing? I'm already familiar with standard open, 3bet, raise, post-flop, etc. sizes. Just wondering how I can nuance my bets so that they're most effective. Also wondering how to make bet sizing decisions quickly during low time control games.

Thanks!

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing to consider is that you should be using a balanced range in a lot of spots, unless you're employing a purely exploitative strategy (depends on your opponents). When you go for a larger sizing, you should have more value hands in your range. And when you opt for a small size, you should include more bluffs.

With that in mind, your bet sizing will depend a lot on the board texture and how it connects to your range and your opponent's range.

On a dry flop that is good for your range, like K73 rainbow as the preflop raiser, you will want to bet often. But you will frequently be bluffing, since most hands miss most flops... So a smaller bet sizing with your entire continuing range is appropriate.

On a wet flop, like T98 with 2 clubs (again as the PFR), you will have a lot of strong hands that can bet for value or bluff with a lot of equity. But your opponent will have a lot of strong hands as well, since this flop hits his range very hard. Bluffing a lot on a board like this would be suicide, so you want to bet mainly for value or with draws that have reasonable equity. A higher bet size would be appropriate, but at a lower frequency.

Hope that helps. :)

N

noobydooby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks yeah I've actually watched this video a few times. I was hoping I could get some perspective from the individuals on the forum e.g. anecdotes, general tips to keep in mind.

Basically, I understand the basic theory of bet sizing, what sizes are typical, and what makes sense from a GTO perspective (or exploitative, for instance, using smaller bet sizes when we expect an opponent to fold more frequently)

Yeah, just hoping to get some individual views on the subject, rather than an elementary education in bet sizing (which I'm fairly confident I already have)

N

noobydooby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks weird line! Just what i was looking for.

I definitely need to incorporate board textures into my overall play, I often think about how they relate to my range and my hand, but overlook my opponent's range beyond the basic "hes in the blind, so he has less overpairs" kind of thinking.

Also, you brought up an interesting point on frequency. How do players choose what to do based on the frequency they will make a play on the fly? Like say, purely for example, I'll bet my overpairs with a backdoor flush a certain percentage of the time. How does one actually determine that percentage of the time when playing?

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that might be taking balance a bit far. :)

If you're going to bet overpairs on a given board, but not every time, choosing the ones that contain a backdoor flush draw is an excellent way to go. There isn't much need to take it beyond that. There will rarely be a situation where your opponent's decision is going to come down to whether he thinks overpairs with back door flush draws are in your range.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question?