How important is it to know poker terms?

V

Varion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for a long time, and I've never given much effort into learning terms or focusing on a strategy. I feel like I'm a decent poker player, lots of freeroll tournament wins, multple MTT wins, ect. I just haven't given much thought to following a strategy/learning terms as I feel like most things are adaptable.

Would be interesting in what others felt about this?

enolan

enolan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is such a thing as a 'natural'. They crop up in many fields, why not poker.

I've found that as I became aware of new terms it gives me a focus point to analyse aspect of the game.

A rough aim is: Understand the phrase -> understand the circumstances -> understand your opponents -> understand adjustments you can make to your game.

A simple thing like a "3-bet" I remember thinking (before the phrase meant anything to me) was just another raise and the implication to me was "he\she must have a good hand, might be bluff, is my hand good enough to continue".
But then I realised a "3-bet" was a thing to poker players, the implications were more complex than I had thought. It may tell me somthing about what my opponent thinks of me!! It leads to other concepts, and these concepts need names (it makes sense to use the same names as everyone else) "Isolation", "LAG", "TAG" ... "4-bet".

Discussing, or even just thinking about, a poker hand is greatly simplified when using the standard poker jargon. Although, I see that this could seem to over complicate things if you are not familiar with the terms.

It's definately worth trying to pick up the terms as you go along. Or even better read though the "Strategy Articles" here at Cardschat.

Knowledge is power ... the 'terms' just make it easier to express this knowledge.

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a great read for this is Harrington on holdem you will learn all those term's and how to apply them gl to you.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing for a long time and still do not know all the terms of poker.And I do not bother about it. Also I have a lot of victories and top places. I think that is not important. The main thing to be able to win.

vse i sra3y

vse i sra3y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have played and won in freerolls and there is no one knows the conditions of the game)))

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowlege of poker terms is important when you read some articles or write post on forum. You need to know sense of each term to understand other players. When you sitting on the table adn play poker terms are not very important I think.

V

Varion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely feel like I have that "natural" part of poker.

Latamgrinder

Latamgrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find it really hard to dominate the fundamentals and/or to develop your game if you dont know the discipline terminology

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for playing live you need to know them but not as much if you just play online

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry about it. If you spend time on this board, read posts and analysis, you will be up to speed in no time. If you have questions regarding terminology in a post, just ask, the OP (original poster) will most likely be willing to clarify for you. :)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think it makes it a much easier process to learn and advance your game if you know the terminology

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gaining as much possible experience.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if youre playing poker 1,2 years and youre haveing good results that you are interdouce with the poker and you watch your opponents and you have luck when you need luck

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's not so imporant to know all poker terms. But if you want to write article, book or etc. - it will be necessary, that's all :)

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well it makes it easier to understand what's being said to you here if you're asking for poker advice. Most of the better players use the lingo.

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowlege of poker terms is important when you read some articles or write post on forum. You need to know sense of each term to understand other players. When you sitting on the table adn play poker terms are not very important I think.

I agree with almanik. The knowledge of poker terms is more important when reading articles and forums. When playing online poker you don't really have to know the right terms as your are not discussing with other players that much. If you are playing some live tournaments it might be good to know at least the basic and most used terms so you understand what the other people are talking about.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is always going to be a level of strategy when you play poker. You might not think you're following any strategy, but you are. For every decision you make, there is a strategic reason behind it. Why did you fold this hand? Why did you raise with this one? Why did you call here? Bet here? 3bet here? And so forth.

While adapting-this is a strategy-in poker is good, the poker terms themselves will always meaning. The strategy behind the terms may vary, depending on situations, but the terms will always be the same. UTG will mean the same thing in a cash game or MTT, 6 handed or 9 handed. Terms like 3bet, TAG, LAG, cutoff, hijack, float, range, pot odds, hand odds, effective stacks, ICM, etc are always going to mean the same thing.

Is it necessary to know all these terms while playing? I think so, especially if you wish you look to improve your game. These are common, widely used terms that make it easier speak, discuss, or type out strategies or a particular hand. So, any time you're watching poker on TV or online, and they're discussing a particular hand, they're going to use this terms frequently-especially from the players-so it'll be good to have an idea of what they're saying.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker terms are like the 'jargon' from any pastime or occupation. Their real use is as a shorthand when discussing the topic or reading poker news/articles. If you never, ever, ever talk about poker with anyone else then there is little point in knowing the terminology, particularly since you say that you aren't concerned about strategy and are therefore less likely to be reading poker articles.

Providing that you are confident that you know the definitions of the terms correctly it becomes much quicker to get a grasp of any poker conversation.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Barry Greenstein once said, many of the old pros were using techniques in the past without these fancy terms (4-bet range etc.)
But it is better to know the modern poker terms, because poker today is a language of it`s own und you will understand videos and articles etc. better.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It would be good help if you study about poker, it would complement your experience!