How can I go deeper without losing time ?!

JMN96

JMN96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone again. This is my first post other than to introduce myself. I'm translating what I'm writing for google translate (portuguese-english), sorry for miscommunication. I would like to know an opinion of you CC friends. What better way to study and practice in the beginning? I've done several free courses, several tournaments seen with reviewed and commented hands, hands reviewed live by PS and other sites, basic things, in order to learn more and more, I believe I had a good evolution to the point. And now? I play every day almost 2 years ago, many freerolls and MTT micro. I feel that I need something more, to take another step in the game and to begin to dedicate myself for real, not for lack of will but for not knowing what will be better, spending good money with good course or use to play and have more gaming experience? I keep searching for free stuff, like I do here in the forum, is it that a course by the computer is already sufuciente, or face-to-face would it be better to pay more? Sorry to write so much.

Thanks.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
In my opinion, you are doing everything, practicing, studying. Keep playing, find all the freerolls, maybe try a couple of low money games. Cash or tourneys. Practice practice practice. Even the pros keep learning. Good luck.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
In portuguese it´s kind of difficult to have good readings so you´ll have
to study english before anything
Second, on way is to find and play freerolls to build a bankroll
Third there are some brazilian tournaments ....
Ate mais
Rgds

4eKuCT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do your freerolls win money is not enough for something more than micro?
If you want to get serious, read a book about poker and not an article. I have heard that Moneymaker's book is good. Also you can find portugal talking streamer.
But most importantly... keep playing!
GL ;)
ps poor people who read my translations :frown:

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about practice and study. But in my opinion more about practice. Start playing freerolls.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play every day almost 2 years ago, many freerolls and MTT micro. I feel that I need something more, to take another step in the game and to begin to dedicate myself for real, not for lack of will but for not knowing what will be better, spending good money with good course or use to play and have more gaming experience?

Never apologize for Google translate. I can't speak Portuguese and I took 2 years of it in High School.

Anyway, I think the point of the post is that you've been playing for almost 2 years and you're still stuck on freerolls and micro mtts and not moving up the ranks.

The core of you question seems to be, "Should you invest good money in poker training, or should you take that money and invest it in a bankroll to play higher stakes."

I think the question is how much money do you have to invest? A good poker book is going to be $50-100 USD (check out Cardschat's own guide to poker books before you do invest in one: https://www.cardschat.com/poker-books.php . I have no clue how much professional training would cost, but I would image you'd be hitting the $1000 USD range.

Here's my advice, and wait for others to respond before you take it because I could be way off base. But if you ONLY have enough to buy a book, then buy the book. Invest in knowledge over experience.
If you have 3-5x the money needed to buy the book, then invest half of it in a bankroll, play at appropriate levels for that bankroll using good bankroll management and if you fail you at least still have enough money to get yourself a good book or two.

I know a lot of players want you to start in the lowest stakes and "earn" your way up, but that method only needs to happen if you're unable to start a bankroll of your own. Good BRM should get you to where you want to go regardless of starting bankroll.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The question is whether you are good enough to play at higher stakes. If you're able to put together a bank roll to try getting out of the micros, do it and see how it goes for you. I have made over $300 from freerolls so far and while it is possible to go from zero to that amount, it's arguably more time efficient to work a regular job and get to your needed bankroll. My advice is do not limit yourself to free things if you don't have to and don't buy training if you don't have to. I believe all that you need to improve is already available for you for free. There's no secret elixir of practical knowledge out there that you can't find in a free format. The only way to know is to try while following proper bank roll management and keeping good records of your progress. Once you know if you are profitable or not, then reassess to see what you need.

Last edited:
Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are so many components to poker, I don't think there is an ideal approach to learning.
What I do think is important is understanding why you make certain decisions. From there you can expand or retract.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely need to start getting experience with higher stakes, even if it's just to get your feet wet. If you play cash games, try a 1/2 game. For tournaments, try one with a reasonable buy-in. The play is a lot different and you need to experience it at some point. I actually enjoy it more because your raises get more respect when the other players have more at risk. I don't know what kind of bankroll you have, but you need to at least start occasionally trying a game at higher stakes. I also agree with the advice to read some books. If you don't want to buy a new book, you should be able to get one from a library or find a used one for cheap. Three good ones that I've read are "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky, "Decide To Play Great Poker" by Annie Duke and "Harrington on Hold 'Em" by Dan Harrington.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer to your dilemma

As some comments suggest you are doing the right thing, just win those bets so you have the chance, although small. Build your bankroll, it costs nothing to dream high. With your foot on the ground you can get away.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Controlled flipping in the late stages of tourney closer to bubble is something to consider. You have to gamble at some point if you want to finish in the deep payout places rather than the outskirts of ITM. Balance this with tight-aggressive play and you will have a better edge in the field.