How to handle downswings

T

tiefgang23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys, since 2 weeks i am really annoyed how bad i run, 2 weeks of full pain, nothing hold or hit , everytime i get it in with atleast 48% and in avverage 69% , what are your tipps? i am so far that i just will play the 20 cent schoolar till the end of the month, that i dont crush my bankroll..... i am a good player , sometimes i take 1 shot to much for the higher buyins like 109bucks and getting mad if i bust there with AA vs 88 vs AQ for chiplead and huge bounty 2 places away from day 2 , was 38k up top , since this day i am running so badly, that i dont know what to do at the moment, at the lower stakes it does not hurt those badbeats, but when i take this higher shots it hurts :D, should i start again from bottom with 100 buyins for brm or maybe just take a week off?

Would like to hear how u handle those downswings
Greetz Tiefgang

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is tough when it hits hard. Besides going over hand history and seeing if you playing hands correctly, not much can be done. It comes and goes, you might feel it will never end.

It is a state of mind. You want the odds in you're favor. That in it self is a win, just not the results we like. Have to ride out the storm.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
What you can do with a downswing is very different, but for me during the phase I usually play as cheaply as possible and then prefer to play freerols. But just as every storm passes, it also passes again. But what I see as a mistake is that you go to the higher limmits to compensate for the loss there because that then easily leads to tilting. You can only look at the hands you have played to see whether you have played properly or you can improve something. But I think all of this is of no great help if you are constantly thrown out of the game against badbeats. Unfortunately, you can't really do anything about it except pay more attention to your bankroll. Do not be tilted and be sure that it will pass again. I wish you all the best and good luck at the table

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Run bad is run bad you must live with it.....but
There is certain spots of run bad that could be avoided.
Slowplaying instead of check raising BIG
limping with premium cards trying to be Tricky to get VALUE
Not raising enough to get a draw off the hand and then it hits.

Ever have run bad at the same time your real life is falling apart?

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Run bad is run bad you must live with it.....but
There is certain spots of run bad that could be avoided.
Slowplaying instead of check raising BIG
limping with premium cards trying to be Tricky to get VALUE
Not raising enough to get a draw off the hand and then it hits.

Ever have run bad at the same time your real life is falling apart?
Not a good combination , you can't enjoy poker even if you win when you have personal stuff going on . Maybe you should take a break

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a good combination , you can't enjoy poker even if you win when you have personal stuff going on . Maybe you should take a break
14/977 Noss#39 last night 2million chip pot AA vs k6 ruined me all in preflop

I don't take a break
I fight through it and learn

ever play 72+ hours straight?

if you havent many times before
then you would be at a severe disadvantage playing a marathon against me

If it makes you uncomfortable ..do it
If it makes you weak and tired keep going
temper yourself like a sword
829ecd18a5a65538915a5bab660f59c1.png

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just an fyi I don't play poker for fun
certain lessons can only be learned by walking home without your shirt at 8 am

I want to hurt everyone at my table
I'm angry constantly
thats how I control my tilt, I'm always on tilt

I'm only happy when someone else is suffering
92704a996a69dd08cd549c4595127cdc.png
1296401febd4da75c8bb01eaca8bff25.png

Last edited:
blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd say take some time off, gives you some time to rest, mental break, and get some time to do some other things besides poker. You can get some balance and some 'accomplishment' in other areas by doing so, for me:

-get some admin/paperwork done, out of the way (need to do it anyways)
-chores (did something to help out)
-some gaming with friends on the xbox (social, keeping that going)

whatever it may be

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Guys, since 2 weeks i am really annoyed how bad i run, 2 weeks of full pain, nothing hold or hit , everytime i get it in with atleast 48% and in avverage 69% , what are your tipps? i am so far that i just will play the 20 cent schoolar till the end of the month, that i dont crush my bankroll..... i am a good player , sometimes i take 1 shot to much for the higher buyins like 109bucks and getting mad if i bust there with AA vs 88 vs AQ for chiplead and huge bounty 2 places away from day 2 , was 38k up top , since this day i am running so badly, that i dont know what to do at the moment, at the lower stakes it does not hurt those badbeats, but when i take this higher shots it hurts :D, should i start again from bottom with 100 buyins for brm or maybe just take a week off?

Would like to hear how u handle those downswings
Greetz Tiefgang
thats the risk reward we chose to take.
i know your pain

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands