How does one create a good table image?

M

mburns29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that playing tournament poker is different than playing cash games. But if one has enough chips, plays tight while folding many hands and shows some very good hands to the masses, will that image still be there when one needs it the most? Yesterday, I had over 100,000 chips in a free roll and probably could have sat out like some of the other competitors, allowing me to easily coast into the money. I folded many hands, and when it came time for me to take the blinds down, I raised all in with AK only to get called with A-rag and lose 85% of my stack. I thought that I created a good enough table image to get others to fold, but i guess that I didn't factor in the new guy playing his/her first tourney. Nevertheless, by folding many hands and showing some good top ten hands, I've been able to do well in lots of free rolls lately. Guess I have to watch out for the newbies. What are some things you do to create a good table image and do you think it really matters?

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the freerolls, I think that a lot of the players are not paying much attention to table image. There are some player who play well in the freerolls but it seems that most are there to play loose and aggressive and see what happens.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First why did you risk all your chips on AK? Was it suited or were you just trying to steal the blinds and antes? Second I find lots of players on these free rolls think of it as just that, a free roll. They have no investment and do not pay as much attention to what is going on at the table as others do. They will call your all-in with any suited, connected, small pair, etc. they are really not losing anything to take the risk to chip up.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's a freeroll most players play their own hand and do not realize who is raising. They play their own hand any way not knowing who would raise with a good hand.

Nisnimnin

Nisnimnin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't pay much attention to others unless I make a note on their profile- i.e donkey, jerk, etc. They move me around tables pretty often.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play at low stakes and especially on freerolls many people do not watch the table at all when they are not in the hand and very few percent of the players take notes or use HUD so trying to build certain table image at these levels will not give the result that you expect. My advice for such low stakes games/freerolls is to focus on your own game and to watch what other players do instead of trying to build image.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Your image at the table is irrelevant.
It is important to be a disciplined and patient player.
It is also important to improve your game every day.
Success will come over time.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Creating any image but one of a maniac is difficult in freerolls. Try to stay aware of people joining/leaving the table and realize you might have no history with them.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not know if there is any way to build a good image in a tournament that every time new players enter the table and also you change tables often

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in agreement with most people here that table-image is probably not a big factor in most freerolls. Unless you've been at the same table for awhile with the same players, it's unlikely they would notice your table-image. If you are taking notice of other peoples tendencies though, it'll usually give you a huge advantage in these games. Too bad about that AK, better luck next time.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think table image is probably one of the very last things id consider. I'm always first thinking of what's my opponents range? How does it hit the board? How many of his hands am I ahead of/behind? And then when you're thinking of your perceived hand range (like what your opponent thinks of you), that's where table image comes in. What I think of table image is just do your best with what you're given. Meaning, if I've been given a lot of good hands up to this point and have been opening a lot of hands, I might find players will start playing back at me with some marginal hands. Now if a lot of those hands went to showdown and people saw that I've had good cards, then in the future when people are continuing they'll probably have something decent and will be less likely to be bluffing me. Just stuff like that. ALSO id make sure I only strongly consider what my opponent thinks of me if they're a thinking player. If they're not, then just focus more on my hand strength compared to their range and value bet them if they're a calling station or bluff them if they play fit or fold

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
OK, let's try one example - last night I played a tournament where it could be said I have build an image of very strong player with lot of KO's with strong hands. So I decided to try this one in a middle stage of the game - how much is due to image I built up and how much is due to the hand development and draws on the river???

https://www.boomplayer.com/28100379_EBC67FCE4C

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing your play,i know your not a aggro/super aggressive,so yes,i think it does help here.I think villian has a PP/A+,,,,tried to push u off your Q or FD. He can't call because you "got there" on the river,or have a Q.:cool: Nicely played Hat!

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Knowing your play,i know your not a aggro/super aggressive,so yes,i think it does help here.I think villian has a PP/A+,,,,tried to push u off your Q or FD. He can't call because you "got there" on the river,or have a Q.:cool: Nicely played Hat!

Thanks Terry, this one ended good for me in the end :top:

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree that most players on freerolls won't be aware of things such as table image. You just have to play ABC poker, bet your premium hands and strong hands accordingly. They are not risking much to chip up, so early on there will be lots of shoves. You should be able to separate the gamblers from the good players...

M

mburns29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First why did you risk all your chips on AK? Was it suited or were you just trying to steal the blinds and antes? Second I find lots of players on these free rolls think of it as just that, a free roll. They have no investment and do not pay as much attention to what is going on at the table as others do. They will call your all-in with any suited, connected, small pair, etc. they are really not losing anything to take the risk to chip up.

Well, Isbenn. I think I risked all my chips to steal the blinds, but also to isolate. If I only bet 2 or 3k pre-flop, I may have gotten several callers, and I think it's better to try to isolate, just in case somebody does call. My AK was suited. Thanks for the reply!

M

mburns29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the freerolls, I think that a lot of the players are not paying much attention to table image. There are some player who play well in the freerolls but it seems that most are there to play loose and aggressive and see what happens.

I think I have to agree with most of you, Pablo, that players are not really thinking about table image, especially since it's a free roll. Everybody is just trying to chip up early on to try to get into the money. Thanks for the comment! ;)

M

mburns29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play at low stakes and especially on freerolls many people do not watch the table at all when they are not in the hand and very few percent of the players take notes or use HUD so trying to build certain table image at these levels will not give the result that you expect. My advice for such low stakes games/freerolls is to focus on your own game and to watch what other players do instead of trying to build image.

Thank You, Neptun! That's very good advice. I will try to focus on my own game rather than trying to create or maintain a certain table image, because nobody seems to be paying attention anyway! :)

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly! You assume correctly, perhaps, but you are playing in a freeroll.
Also, I don't like AK all-in late stage except for being short-stacked. I think you need to be a bit more discerning.
Jbotman