How do you put your opponent on preflop range without HUD?

P

PrDvGatach

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My idea is:

I see villain limp every third pot (0,01/0,02 NLH cash game),so i assume, that villain has 33.33% limp range. I also notice, that villain showed in showdowns A2o,45s,J9s.
So in villain range certainly is ATs-A2s,KQs,QJs,J9s+,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s,ATo-A2o.
I put villain on 88-22,ATs-A2s,K4s+,Q6s+,J7s+,T7s+,97s+,86s+,75s+,65s,54s,43s,ATo-A2o,K8o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9o. (I think player in 0,001/0.002 NLH cash game can limp hands as ATs,KQs,88 . I neglect,that villain range depends on position,because I don´t know, whether player in 0,001/0,02 NLH cash game has positional awareness.)
When i notice,that villain raise ATo,KQo,88,77 and/or min-raise QJo,66,55. I will change my assumptions.
But i have not any time do this, while i am playing. I often have less than second take a look what villain showed in showdown, so i don´t know, whether he had 98o or 98s. Also when i know villain has in his range, for exemple QTo imagine his range take lot of time.

My Questions are:

1.How figure out villain (raise,min-raise,limp) ranges without HUD?

2.How do this during game?

3.How can i improve and practice this skill off the felt?

4.Am i able know, whether my opponent has positional awareness without HUD?(I know,that villain raise KJo from CU,but i can´t notice that he don´t play
KJo from UTG, because i didn´t see him showed KJo in showdown after raise from UTG).

5.How quickly convert number of hands to percentage and vice versa? For exemple 442 is 33,33% range,200 is 15% range etc...

P.S. I hope, that answer experienced player.I am sorry for ma bad english.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to calculate ranges without HUD?

When we play without HUD, we must keep in mind that we cannot classify our opponents in defined ranges, what we must do is think of “how they play”, that is, if our opponents are tight (those who select the hands that play) or Loose (those who play a very wide range of hands) and also if they play them aggressive or passive. In this way we will have an idea of its rank and play accordingly.

What I mean by this? Without HUD, we cannot think that player X does OR in EP by 15% because we have 100 hands played on that table and he has shown once in the 22x showdown. It doesn't work that way. What I do mean is that we must pay attention to our rivals in order to get a (partial) idea of their game, and thus be able to estimate their range.

In low limits it is easy to play without HUD, the important thing is to play few tables (4 tables is ideal) and have pre-defined preflop ranges on our side, this makes the game easier.

byron42

byron42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, it's easier to watch how they play pre/post flop and get a gauge on the way they bet on wet flops, see showdown results, etc, when you can see what they have after the hand. You just have to pay more attention at that point and be aware enough to capitalize when it you're against them in a hand.

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mainly just population tendencies and some idea of how tight/loose that player is.

For example, in a very loose game with lots of limping, you might put a limper on a range of any hand with some potential -- any semi-decent suited hand, connecting hands from 87o+, broadway hands, low pairs, J8o+, etc. Then also subtract premium hands that we assume the player is more likely to have raised.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUD's have a lot of power, but I would recommend trying to make good reads without them. This will force you to better utilize your observation skills while at the table.

HUD data itself is probably very subjective, unless you have taken a large amount of time to fine tune your specific HUD data.

Let me give you an example. Over 48,000 tournament hands, your HUD on me will say I have a VPIP of 22%. This is an average over all seats and all table sizes and all blind levels and all stack sizes. This is not a good number for any specific situation we may be in. Looking at the 9% of hands where there were only 2 or 3 players left (end game or SNG end game), my VPIP is now 41%. Not surprising that I would play many more hands in this situation. My VPIP for the 70% of the time when there are 7 or more players in the hand, my VPIP is 19%.

I am not sharing my numbers to make a statement about my lack of poker skill, but only to highlight that a simple VPIP number may very well be an accurate average, but it is the situation you are in that matters. There is a huge difference between a 19% range and a 41% range, and depending on the situation, I will play both ranges. Know what I mean?

Good luck and God bless.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first , whats your level in this game----beginner or semi.. do you know many preflop starting Hands in your brain. Are you tight, loose, agressiv. But at least..do you play with bankroll Management? then you can try to play with huds and other statistics. But its a long processs.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never used one, I had looked at one a few times. Seemed to me I would be paying more attention to that than the players.
I myself feel that it is a form of cheating, people don't want to play against bots, but use these. Don't see much difference.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even with a HUD you wont know exactly, how people construct their preflop range, and especially not fish/whales/recreationals/funplayers - whatever you want to call them. For instance the HUD might show 47/8, and then its tempting to assume, that when he min-raise, it must be with a top 8% hand. But its not that simple. Maybe he min-raised this time, because he was tired of getting his limps raised, and he actually has K4s UTG, which is certainly not a top 8% hand. Or he limp-called AK as a slowplay, as happened to me in this hand:

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

People, who have not studied the game, are actually very good at, what is now known as randomization, and which solvers do a lot. They dont always play the same hand in the same way, and this can make it somewhat difficult to do hand reading against them. Sometimes its almost not even worth bothering to try and put them on a range. And then you just basically play your own two cards and look to exploit their general tendencies, which will typically be calling to much.