How do you win at poker?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry if it seems like a daft question but i dont understand what im doing wrong, i spend lots of time studying but im so unlucky when i play. Like just now i flop a 9 high flush, i play it so 3 of us end up going all in and someone wins it with a back door full house.
I just seem to keep getting outdrawn or ever so narrowly beaten like i have a Q kicker and they have a K kicker. Is there some secret to winning i dont know about?
People keep saying 'play the way you do and youll win in the long run' ive been playing for a year and still losing to getting outdrawn in big pots or ever so narrowly beaten.
Has anyone else experienced this and ended up a winning player or is it just time to give up? Theres only so many bad beats a person can take :D

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sorry if it seems like a daft question but i dont understand what im doing wrong, i spend lots of time studying but im so unlucky when i play. Like just now i flop a 9 high flush, i play it so 3 of us end up going all in and someone wins it with a back door full house.
I just seem to keep getting outdrawn or ever so narrowly beaten like i have a Q kicker and they have a K kicker. Is there some secret to winning i dont know about?
People keep saying 'play the way you do and youll win in the long run' ive been playing for a year and still losing to getting outdrawn in big pots or ever so narrowly beaten.
Has anyone else experienced this and ended up a winning player or is it just time to give up? Theres only so many bad beats a person can take :D

If you've been playing for a year and not making a profit, there's more work to be done.. but honestly there's ALWAYS more work to be done. (I've been playing for 11yrs. online & much more than that live... & have TONS more to work on).

Just keep at it. What you're describing it completely normal. The wins just need to cover it.... & they will (in time).

I want to say "try posting some hand histories in the relative section here on CC (cash or tourney) & check out the feedback" but honestly there are so many freeroll donks on here that you'll really need to sift through them. BUT if you know what you're doing (whcih it sounds like you're on the right track), you'll be able to discern which is which and there could be some gems in there for you.

Keep at it!

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you've been playing for a year and not making a profit, there's more work to be done.. but honestly there's ALWAYS more work to be done. (I've been playing for 11yrs. online & much more than that live... & have TONS more to work on).

Just keep at it. What you're describing it completely normal. The wins just need to cover it.... & they will (in time).

I want to say "try posting some hand histories in the relative section here on CC (cash or tourney) & check out the feedback" but honestly there are so many freeroll donks on here that you'll really need to sift through them. BUT if you know what you're doing (whcih it sounds like you're on the right track), you'll be able to discern which is which and there could be some gems in there for you.

Keep at it!
Its like theres a force not allowing me to make a success of poker, when i flop the nuts and get all the chips in, only to get outdrawn to a 1/10 favourite, im not sure what im doing wrong at all, yet im losing about 80% of these big pots

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Winning and losing happens all the time but you win because you know how to win.

Suppose in a session you won 10 hands and lost 15 or 20 hands but you can still be a winner. When you feel that you have a winning hand then try to get as much as you can from the table. Try to get the maximum out of this winning hand. And that is where you skill comes into play. You raise or re-raise to the extent that your opponent feel comfortable to pay. You don't scare him off with high raises.

On the other hand, if you feel at anytime of the play that you don't have the winning hand, just drop out. Minimize your loses. Don't try to go for showdown hoping that you might win.

In my opinion if you play that way then at the end you will be on winning side.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its like theres a force not allowing me to make a success of poker, when i flop the nuts and get all the chips in, only to get outdrawn to a 1/10 favourite, im not sure what im doing wrong at all, yet im losing about 80% of these big pots

If you are getting in good and making the villain make bad calls you are doing it right. Take Poker Orifice's advice, post some hands. This is almost like deja vu, he gave me very similar advice when I got here at CardsChat. Having some knowledgeable players give you some alternate ways of playing hands will speed the process up.

Was recomeended some really good books that helped as well. Most forums out there are not as giving with information. This is a place if you want to get better you will. Don't be hesitant to ask questions.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are getting in good and making the villain make bad calls you are doing it right. Take Poker Orifice's advice, post some hands. This is almost like deja vu, he gave me very similar advice when I got here at CardsChat. Having some knowledgeable players give you some alternate ways of playing hands will speed the process up.

Was recomeended some really good books that helped as well. Most forums out there are not as giving with information. This is a place if you want to get better you will. Don't be hesitant to ask questions.
Yeah thats the problem, i get all the chips in when ahead then get horribly outdrawn, i know i can improve my game soooo much so hopefully when another bad beat comes along ill hopefully still be in a good position in the tourneys

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah thats the problem, i get all the chips in when ahead then get horribly outdrawn, i know i can improve my game soooo much so hopefully when another bad beat comes along ill hopefully still be in a good position in the tourneys
Maybe a way to combat fish chasing draws is to not bet too large and see if the river makes any obvious draws?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nevermind, another bad beat already... i have ace high flush he has straight flush obviously

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Need to play more hands, sometimes weak cards bring victory

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Two or three months ago, I played freeroll at 888 and took 2nd place in this tournament. I won $ 43. This is my first such big win.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of cash games and tournaments, sometimes I manage to win both cash and tournaments, but there are times when the card doesn’t play at tournaments and I can't get to the prize games for a week or more, but I keep playing and trying how to get to the prize and make a profit, I agree that you need to play on small cards too, because they play very well and you can win, try playing more freerolls for you and try to get prizes and gain experience on freerolls so you can play later ok on about Very good tournaments!

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps you're risking too much for the hands you have... Are you asking yourself if you have to bet so much before you do? Do you consider things like pot odds before you bet? Do you value bet? Do you expect to play to the river or not?

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All this happens, but I play all the same and I hope for good luck.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately negative emotions more from such conclusions and can come to the conclusion that poker is not for you.Get positive emotions and forward to the conquest of the poker tops.Good luck...

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The nuts on the flop? Can only be a Royal Flush or 4 Aces! Any other hand can be beaten. But why bet all-in, if you hit the flop? First rule in tournaments is to take care of your Tournaments life. You cannot win the Tournement in one hand, but you can loose it. Try smallballing for a while, maybe that helps you staying longer in the tournament to have the nuts on the river sometimes.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It often happens that a player is simply unable to cope with his mistakes, he needs a side view, for example, a coach or just friends playing poker! You can try to create a new thread with a request to disassemble the game completely (it would be more efficient) or separately for each hand !!!

S

SweetLemonz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sounds like you get some sort of nuts and expect to win , luck is obviously a factor you could just be super unlucky but i think you need to do a be more learning as i would not go all in after the flop from a 9 high flush unless you got like a tiny amount of BB left , you gotta think about the quality of your hand and not just play it cause it seems good. So just keep up the learning grind you'll get there :)

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi
when you can not win anymore, it's better to stop playing for a few days. However, if it's been a year since it lasted, you should definitely improve your game by watching more and more videos from professional players. The most important thing is to stay motivated, optimistic and especially to spend time.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My biggest win is $ 800 in the pokerstars tournament.
4-5 times I won about 350 dollars, and 15-20 times 150-200 dollars.
Amounts less than $ 100, I win fairly often.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think you should continue studying sometimes luck comes and goes but if you spend time, see your history analyze hand by hand to see what flaws identifies your mistakes and overcome them ... luck success and luck friend

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we talk about online poker, those bad beats there can never end, believe me.
I didn,t remember the last time, when i won something really big at online poker and also feeling really dissapointed cause of that.
If you can, try some live poker, you will have another feelings and maybe this can help you to win something and avoid those bad luck.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
My biggest prize was $ 47. This was a freeroll on partypoker.
Recently, my winnings are usually no more than $ 10-20. Good luck.